mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Editing User Sample Motif XF"

Posted on: May 18, 2018 @ 08:06 PM
keyman@usa.net
Total Posts:  77
Joined  07-28-2006

Greetings Forum,

I have a song that has a drum loop sample that was imported from my Motif ES. Importing the Song with its sample works fine. I’ve now been asked to change the tempo of the sample. I realize there is a gap in my understanding. I have read the Owner’s Manual including the pages 203-210 regarding sampling in song mode.  My XF is on the current OS. I have a Flash board installed; I have about 85 waveforms on it. Their sizes are small e.g. I have used less than 1/3 of the space; it appears I am far below the other limits for the Flash board. Most of my waveforms feed ‘oneshot’ keybanks using one note e.g. C1. [Pardon some of my imprecise Motif language].
From Song mode when attempting to edit I choose Integrated Sampling. The screen appears but I am unable to select anything.

Advice and links to appropriate threads will be greatly appreciated.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 18, 2018 @ 09:25 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

See this thread to copy a sample from a flash module so that it can be edited:
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/479760

See this thread to change the tempo of a sample:
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/462481/

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 21, 2018 @ 07:24 PM
keyman@usa.net
Joined  07-28-2006

Thank you 5pinDIN, your post on May 12th was particularly helpful [http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/479760] in combination with the support article on slicing.

I was able to load the waveform from the flash module and slice it etc. The “SONG” VOICE appears present in the mixing screen. However the editing does not survive a power cycle.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 21, 2018 @ 08:43 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
keyman@usa.net - 21 May 2018 07:24 PM

Thank you 5pinDIN, your post on May 12th was particularly helpful [http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/479760] in combination with the support article on slicing.

You’re welcome.

keyman@usa.net -

I was able to load the waveform from the flash module and slice it etc. The “SONG” VOICE appears present in the mixing screen. However the editing does not survive a power cycle.

I’m not certain what the difficulty is, but here are some things to consider…

Did you check mark “Delete Original” when copying the Sample from flash?

Make sure that the edited Sample is returned to the flash module
using “Copy to Flash Memory”. (A Sample left in User SDRAM is volatile.)

Be sure to [STORE] the edited Song Mixing.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 21, 2018 @ 10:21 PM
keyman@usa.net
Joined  07-28-2006
5pinDIN - 21 May 2018 08:43 PM
keyman@usa.net - 21 May 2018 07:24 PM

You’re welcome.

keyman@usa.net -

I’m not certain what the difficulty is, but here are some things to consider…

Did you check mark “Delete Original” when copying the Sample from flash?

Make sure that the edited Sample is returned to the flash module
using “Copy to Flash Memory”. (A Sample left in User SDRAM is volatile.)

Be sure to [STORE] the edited Song Mixing.

Repeated the procedure. Confirmed all those settings you mentioned.
When checking the midi data the PC was for “001” “Initialized V”. When setting it to “000” for the “Waveform . . .”, the First note of the slice sounds and the rest of the chromatic notes are silent.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 22, 2018 @ 08:32 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
keyman@usa.net - 21 May 2018 10:21 PM

Repeated the procedure. Confirmed all those settings you mentioned.
When checking the midi data the PC was for “001” “Initialized V”. When setting it to “000” for the “Waveform . . .”, the First note of the slice sounds and the rest of the chromatic notes are silent.

Since you’re working in Song mode, this section of the support article is critical:
IMPORTANT NOTE:
The first section of this guide concentrates on PATTERN mode, however, you can also work in a linear SONG with a few alterations. The Motif XF uses context sensitive functions. Certain options only appear in the appropriate context. It matters what mode you are in when you sample or import your data. If you are using SONG mode, the Phrase data will be written once to a linear track, the Voice assigned will be inserted in the Track data (the XF will place a Bank Select and Program Change event at the top of the track to ensure that the phrase data recalls the appropriate Sample Voice). You can then use the “TR LOOP” function to make the pattern cycle. TRACK LOOP lets you cycle any region of data. Perfect for making a sliced audio loop work in a Song. Make sure you sample or import your data while you are in the Mode you intend to use.

Perhaps that’s where the difficulty lies.

See Loop Playback Settings - [SF2] Loop on page 143 of the XF Reference Manual.

EDIT: If you’re not getting the “Slices” while editing the sample, I suggest that you go through the support article using the sample provided in the ZIP file, and see if you can get the expected result. I tried it (in Song mode) and wound up with the slices covering C3 through E4. Let us know if you get that far.

If that works satisfactorily, it’s important that you next “Press [ENTER] to fix.”, or you’ll lose the slice data. That step creates the new, sliced, Waveform. In the case of the sample from the support article, Waveform 002 has 17 KeyBanks, with the key range I mentioned (C3~E4).

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 24, 2018 @ 01:58 AM
keyman@usa.net
Joined  07-28-2006

Must have been user error. After repeated tries before and after my posts, It Worked!

Thank you as always!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 24, 2018 @ 06:58 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

You’re welcome - I’m glad you got it working. As with many of the more involved procedures on the Motifs, perseverance usually pays off.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ XF Master Mode: Display Song/Pattern Instrument names?
Next Topic:

Thank you, John Melas!! ››