mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "New owner, what do I need to know!"

Posted on: May 09, 2018 @ 02:52 PM
Jur451c
Total Posts:  14
Joined  12-22-2012

Hi, I am about to take delivery of a new Moxf8 with 512 flashboard, I was hoping you more experienced peeps could offer some tips and tricks! I will mainly be using the moxf for live performance with my rock covers band.

How do you guys configure your boards for live performance?

Is there any ‘must have’ software I should look into?

Any great resources/websites I should check out?

I look forward to any advice any of you can give!!

Thanks in advance!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 09, 2018 @ 04:59 PM
lastmonk
Total Posts:  364
Joined  12-17-2013
Jur451c - 09 May 2018 02:52 PM

Hi, I am about to take delivery of a new Moxf8 with 512 flashboard, I was hoping you more experienced peeps could offer some tips and tricks! I will mainly be using the moxf for live performance with my rock covers band.

Thanks in advance!

This website is perhaps the best site to get Moxf8 info.  Instructional Videos can be found on this site.  Tutorials can be found on this site.  And specific questions are answered fairly quickly and usually in a thorough manner.

I would personally strongly recommend that you spend some serious time with both the owners manual and reference manual pdfs for your MoxF8.  Not because the MOXF8 is too complicated to use without manuals, but because there are so many goodies your instrument has it may take you a long time to find them out just by trial and error.  The manuals can quickly give you some idea of just how much of an instrument you really have.

Also just keep in mind that with the MOXF8 you have most of the features of the Motif XF8, so useful information that applies to the Motif XF8 usually applies to the MOXF8 as well.

There will be many opinions on this website about ‘must have’ software.  I’ll give mine, I don’t think there is any ‘must have’ software for the MOXF8.  The MOXF8 is a complete music production synthesizer in one instrument.  It does it all from soup to nuts.  Of course it can be used with all kinds of software e.g Cubase, or any other midi controlled software.  But in my opinion the software is not ‘must have’ maybe ‘nice to have’ but not ‘must have’

And if you’re talking about live performance, well I perform live all of the time in all kinds of capacities and I’ve never had to use any software to prop up my MOX 8.

To ‘Software’ or Not To ‘Software’ is very subjective.  But in my experience the MOX/MOTIF are complete performance/production environments and do not require any DAWs, Plugins, VSTs, or anything else to get the job done.  Yes the MOXF8 has EXCELLENT computer integration, and you can add it if that’s your thing, but it simply not necessary.

Congratulations on your new instrument.  Pound 4 Pound the MOXF8 is one of the best music production synthesizers on the market.  Treat it well and it will treat you well :-)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 09, 2018 @ 05:10 PM
Jur451c
Joined  12-22-2012

Thanks for your reply! When using it live which mode do you prefer? I understand you can use Master mode then save whatever other mode you want within Master mode, is this the recommended route? I anticipate lots of splits alongside a few single sounds....

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 09, 2018 @ 06:45 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
Jur451c - 09 May 2018 02:52 PM

Thanks in advance!

Congrats - but I’m a bit confused. I checked your posting history, and from that it appears you owned an MOX8 since the end of 2012. MOXF8 operation isn’t significantly different, especially if one ignores the optional flash module. I presume you already have considerable experience with operation of the MOX8, and that should be applicable to the MOXF8.

Jur451c - 09 May 2018 05:10 PM

Thanks for your reply! When using it live which mode do you prefer? I understand you can use Master mode then save whatever other mode you want within Master mode, is this the recommended route? I anticipate lots of splits alongside a few single sounds....

If you’re not already familiar with it, this approach might be useful:
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/support/view/using_a_moxf_mixing_program_for_quick_access_to_multiple_sounds_in_a_live_s

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 09, 2018 @ 08:09 PM
RHproducer
Total Posts:  60
Joined  10-19-2017

I’ll tell you my experience, I hope it can be of help.

I play live and I also produce music. I studied the manuals and also purchased some instructional videos. I enjoyed reading the manual but it is faster by watching the videos of course. I purchased the bundle:

Discovering MOX8
and MOXF in ‘N’ out.

If you are familiarized with the MOx8 like it was mentioned above perhaps it doesn’t worth to purchase any video. However the second video addresses the usage of the Flash board. There’s also a free video by Phil Clendeninn where he shows how to load the sounds content that Yamaha gave away. I don’t remember the webpage nor I have the link at hand but I’m sure that if you look for it you will easily find it.

Greetings!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 09, 2018 @ 11:30 PM
lastmonk
Total Posts:  364
Joined  12-17-2013
Jur451c - 09 May 2018 05:10 PM

I actually use mixing mode templates saved in empty song banks for performances.

The mixing templates give me up to 16 sounds per song that could be layered if need be.

For live performance I use the song banks, Song 1 first song, Song 2, second song, Song 3 3rd song etc.  I don’t have any recorded information in the Songs I only use the mix templates, and the ease of use of just selection the next song.  The song mode kind functions as my set list.  Don’t mess much with master mode yet.  Haven’t needed it.  When performing live (at least for me) my motto is keep it simple.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 10, 2018 @ 12:56 PM
Jur451c
Joined  12-22-2012

Congrats - but I’m a bit confused. I checked your posting history, and from that it appears you owned an MOX8 since the end of 2012. MOXF8 operation isn’t significantly different, especially if one ignores the optional flash module. I presume you already have considerable experience with operation of the MOX8, and that should be applicable to the MOXF8.

I only had the mox8 for a short while and only really used it as a main stage controller. I now intend to use the Moxf8 as an all-in-one solution, hence this thread!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 12, 2018 @ 07:38 PM
motidave
Total Posts:  426
Joined  10-03-2010

I use MOXF6 for life play in some bands, replacing my larger heavier XF7.  My #1 software is John Melas Library manager.  I have his entire package but I really only use the library manager with any frequency.  I play in Perf mode, create a Perf for each song, titled by song name. Always.  I re-order per the night’s set list with Melas Librarian in 3 minutes, so I can just select patches sequentially from 1 to Done, very easy on a dark stage.

Something as simple and yet vital as changing the order of programs in Yamahas is a total pain without it.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ MOXF loading voices from XF ...?
Next Topic:

Change song with sysex ››