mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "MX61 won’t play MIDI from USB stick (Illegal format)"

Posted on: December 04, 2013 @ 01:09 AM
pugdealer
Total Posts:  12
Joined  06-16-2013

Hey guys

I’m trying to play a midi file from a USB stick on my MX61. It sees the stick, the file, but when I press play it says ILLEGAL FORMAT!

What’s wrong with it? I exported a MIDI file from Cubase AI 6...what am I doing wrong?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 04, 2013 @ 06:49 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Not trying to a a wise guy but what File Format is the File?
That is what the MX is asking you when you get the ILLEGAL FORMAT! Error message.

The MX can stream Standard MIDI Files in Type 0 format.
If you don’t know what file format your file is, it probably not Type0.

What’s wrong with it? I exported a MIDI file from Cubase AI 6...what am I doing wrong?

You can set the Export function so that it will be compatible.

Go to FILE > EXPORT > MIDI FILE > set Export Option to TYPE 0, 480 pulses per quarter note.

Check “Export as Type 0”
Set 480 as “Export Resolution”
Clear all other options on the EXPORT MIDI FILE area
Click APPLY
Click OK

If you own a Mac make sure it writes the extension = .MID (not .midi) three letters only (silly Macintosh… )

Other things that could prevent playback:
Make sure the MX is set run on its own clock, or if set to run on external clock, make sure that clock is arriving via MIDI and that the external clock source is running.

Press [UTILITY]
Select 02: MIDI
find MIDI SYNC = internal

“Internal” will allow the MX to run on its own clock and tempo
“Auto” will allow the MX to run at the last tempo received via MIDI, letting it slave to DAW tempo
“External” will allow the MX to only slave to external (DAW) tempo

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 05, 2013 @ 01:29 PM
pugdealer
Total Posts:  12
Joined  06-16-2013

Thanks Bad_Mister

As always, very helpful and right! There was no info on the manual about that type 0 thing so I couldn’t get it…

THANKS!!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 05, 2013 @ 02:38 PM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

There was no info on the manual about that type 0 thing so I couldn’t get it…

MX Owner’s Manual page 27 and again on page 44…

Page 27:
MIDI data
“Only SMF (Standard MIDI File) MIDI data of format 0 can be used for playback on this instrument. The file extension is “.MID.” This instrument is equipped with a 16-track sequencer for playback and a 16-part multi- timbral tone generator, allowing you to play back MIDI data of up to 16 tracks.”

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 06, 2013 @ 03:32 AM
KostasT
Total Posts:  90
Joined  04-06-2013

It is true that is mentioned on the manual. And since most of the midi files found on the Internet are in format 1 you can use Cubase to export them in format 0 with the above described procedure. A type limitation also exists for wav files, but I can’t remember now what settings I used in order to make them playable in MX (but I did).

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 06, 2013 @ 03:50 AM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

I disagree. The majority of “smart” MIDI files are TYPE 0… A person wishing to share, sell or otherwise distribute MIDI files would be crazy to post them as Type 1

Type 0, like blood type O, can be read by any other MIDI sequencing device. A Type 1 file is a personal layout, and unless you own the exact same gear as the author (the same plug ins, the same track layout) you will be out of luck.

Only a foolish distributor of files would create Type 1 files for general distribution. Imagine a hospital stocking only Type A blood… How silly would that be?  Type 1 could have several different plug-in synths all assigned to their own channel 1, yet playing from separate tracks… In Type 0 all data on channel 1 is routed to same destination tone generator, which it is assumed has only one PART receiving on Channel 1.

Easy way to remember TYPE 0, like Type “O” blood is the universal donor!!!

Wave files must be STEREO, 16-bit, 44.1kHz in order to stream from the USB stick with your MX!

Know the rules...so that you can easily take advantage of the features.
Yes, your copy of Cubase can be used to convert MIDI files to TYPE 0, and can be used to convert AUDIO files to 16-bit/44.1kHz.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 06, 2013 @ 06:46 AM
kevinb
Total Posts:  340
Joined  05-07-2003

I got the same “Illegal File” message from the MX when I tried to load some Midi files downloaded from the Internet, so there are a lot of Type 1 MIDI files floating around out there. I suspected Type 1 was the problem and out of the 40 or so I had on the USB stick only 5 or so would play. When you load them into an editing program you’re usually asked something like “do you want to expand single track to 15 tracks” (or however many the author used). “Expanding” the tracks and saving as a Type 0 usually does the trick, although the instruments may not end up on the “proper” tracks (drums in particular may not be on track 10). Bad Mister’s blog has an article on properly formatting Midi Files.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 08, 2013 @ 08:05 AM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

The fact that you expand it to 16 separate tracks does not make it TYPE 0 or TYPE 1, it’s slightly more than that.

MIDI data does not need, generally speaking, to be on separate tracks. You place it on separate tracks because it is more convenient to edit it (visually). Each MIDI event that is a channel message includes the channel. For example, say you hit middle C, with a velocity of 99, on MIDI channel 1

90 3C 63

90 = Note-On, MIDI ch 1
3C = note number 60 middle C
63 = velocity of 99

The significant thing is, it includes the channel. A Note-On on channel 2 will not interfere with the data on channel 1 -just because they are on the same track.  there is no leakage in MIDI. Leakage is an audio term for when two different audio signals (undesired) share the same path ... This can happen with audio, but never ever with MIDI data.

What makes a file TYPE 1 is there can be more than one MIDI Channel 1. Each routed to a separate destination. This is why I said it would be foolish for some one looking to distribute MIDI files to save them as type 1… I did not say there are not foolish people out there… Of that there are many. Some think TYPE 1 is “More professional”, how silly, Type 1 is less universally accepted… Because of its structure.

Type 0 simply makes it so all data designated channel 1 will play be interpreted by the part assigned channel 1.  Type 0 is sixteen channels in the system. (For example: when you have a single device that is Multi-timbral)

Type 1 could have multiple tracks each with multiple channels… So again unless you have the similar layout as the author you may have an issue. Surely a poor choice for general distribution. (For example: you have several Multi-timbral devices that you want to address differently)

Now if you pay for these… request Type 0, or use your DAW to convert them.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 09, 2013 @ 06:55 AM
kevinb
Total Posts:  340
Joined  05-07-2003

Thanks for the clarification Bad Mister. I need to go back and read up on MIDI formats and files again.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 29, 2013 @ 04:20 PM
richie1027
Total Posts:  686
Joined  10-14-2008

Not to twist this post to a midi subject, but since I’m not a DAW user, any midi files I’ve imported to my keyboard has been type one (xf that is).  I have a tool that converts 1 to 0 but my workstation puts aloof type 0 on one track and I’ve not figured out how to separate the voices.  I can hear the Type 0 on MX61 but if I import to XF to edit, I cannot expand.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 09, 2018 @ 10:38 PM
Chipmunk
Total Posts:  1
Joined  02-09-2018

you can try this tutorial: http://www.videoconverterfactory.com/tips/midi-player.html may be useful but I am not sure because I just touch midi filed

[ Ignore ]