mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Dear Yamaha"

Posted on: November 25, 2017 @ 05:00 PM
felis
Total Posts:  4
Joined  11-25-2017

Not sure where to put this.  I don’t see a ‘suggestion’ area.

Anyways, could you please try to implement release velocity in your future keyboards.
I have had many Yamaha keyboards, but only currently have a rack because of this lack.
Release velocity has become indispensable for me, and all my current keyboards have it.

I’m sure it’s not too difficult or expensive to do it, because some very inexpensive keyboards are much more capable than Yamaha’s offerings.

I do love Yamaha’s sounds though, and if that feature was present, I would most likely only buy Yamaha boards in the future.

Thanks for your consideration.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 25, 2017 @ 11:08 PM
philwoodmusic
Total Posts:  1055
Joined  07-01-2013

Hi,

I’m afraid this isn’t Yamaha, but you might like to post here instead:

https://www.yamahasynth.com/forum/categories

Cheers!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 26, 2017 @ 02:05 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
felis - 25 November 2017 05:00 PM

[...] Release velocity has become indispensable for me, and all my current keyboards have it. [...]

Please tell us how you would apply release/note-off velocity if it was a feature of the Motif XF.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 27, 2017 @ 12:23 AM
felis
Joined  11-25-2017
philwoodmusic - 25 November 2017 11:08 PM

Hi,

Cheers!

I signed up here just for that one post.  I don’t really care to sign up at a bunch of forums.
I used to post a bit here about a Motif ES rack I’ve got with a couple PLG boards.
I figured maybe Phil could pass it on when he stops by.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 27, 2017 @ 12:35 AM
felis
Joined  11-25-2017
5pinDIN - 26 November 2017 02:05 PM
felis - 25 November 2017 05:00 PM

[...] Release velocity has become indispensable for me, and all my current keyboards have it. [...]

Please tell us how you would apply release/note-off velocity if it was a feature of the Motif XF.

The most basic application is to set a long amp. env. release, then assign release velocity to control release time - it takes setting it at a negative amount.  Releasing quickly will shut the sound down quickly, and releasing slowly can give you a nice long release.
Much different than using a pedal because it affects each individual key. 

With a proper modulation matrix, it can be used to control almost anything that velocity can control, but upon key release, like opening up or shutting down a filter depending on how quickly you release a key, or increasing resonance or pitch or many other things.

The three most important things a physical keyboard can have are velocity, aftertouch, and release velocity.
Once you become accustomed to using them, nothing else will do.

I really like Yamaha stuff and would like to be able to have a Yamaha board as a main controller, but I won’t settle for something I consider to be half baked.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 27, 2017 @ 12:40 AM
cmayhle
Total Posts:  3116
Joined  10-05-2011
felis - 27 November 2017 12:23 AM
philwoodmusic - 25 November 2017 11:08 PM

Hi,

Cheers!

I signed up here just for that one post.  I don’t really care to sign up at a bunch of forums.
I used to post a bit here about a Motif ES rack I’ve got with a couple PLG boards.

Unfortunately, the Forum philwoodmusic invoked is the only place you will make a connection with “Phil”...aka Bad_Mister.

He no longer frequents this Forum.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 27, 2017 @ 02:44 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
felis - 27 November 2017 12:35 AM

The most basic application is to set a long amp. env. release, then assign release velocity to control release time - it takes setting it at a negative amount.  Releasing quickly will shut the sound down quickly, and releasing slowly can give you a nice long release.
Much different than using a pedal because it affects each individual key. 

With a proper modulation matrix, it can be used to control almost anything that velocity can control, but upon key release, like opening up or shutting down a filter depending on how quickly you release a key, or increasing resonance or pitch or many other things.

I’m familiar with what release velocity can be applied to. (I was hoping you’d be a bit more specific about your own usage.) In my own experience, it’s rare that I’d need to have such nuanced control. In most cases, proper programming and usage of XF aftertouch, XA control, and knobs and switches provides sufficient ability to change release characteristics to meet my needs. YMMV  :-) .

felis -

The three most important things a physical keyboard can have are velocity, aftertouch, and release velocity.
Once you become accustomed to using them, nothing else will do.

I really like Yamaha stuff and would like to be able to have a Yamaha board as a main controller, but I won’t settle for something I consider to be half baked.

You’ve made it quite clear that recent production from Yamaha doesn’t meet your needs. I suspect that most current owners wouldn’t find the necessity for such control, but it doesn’t hurt to ask for more. However, as has already been pointed out, doing so here isn’t likely to be effective. I also “really like Yamaha stuff”, but in my opinion Yamaha has a tendency to do what it wants, not necessarily what users desire, so even if your message gets through it might not influence anything.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 27, 2017 @ 07:17 AM
MapleCarbine
Total Posts:  40
Joined  12-11-2015
felis - 27 November 2017 12:23 AM

You signed up to this forum, without caring to sign up to forums, just for this one post, which is in the wrong place, but that’s cool because you’re an older member who likely can’t log in any more for some reason or another, and you have no intention of asking in the correct place and consequently, you won’t achieve your intended goal.

I see.

You’ve GOT to love ‘the internetz’ huh?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 27, 2017 @ 11:57 PM
felis
Joined  11-25-2017

Sometimes you just need to vent.  I’ve been asking for it for about 30 years.

Kind of funny, because I just got the Steinberg Absolute VST collection (under Yamaha’s umbrella), and release velocity is able to be used as a mod source in several of the programs. 

In the keyboards, I’m pretty sure the same sensors are used that enable velocity control - they’re just read in the reverse order, so it would probably be a relatively simple matter for them to do it.  Never hurts to keep asking, right?

Fortunately, I’ve been able to find several boards that meet my needs.
I do have a lot of Yamaha stuff - PA gear, Maple Absolute drums, basses, mixers, audio interfaces, and so on.  I’m generally satisfied with most of it, except for their keyboards.

Too bad Phil doesn’t post here anymore.  He was very knowledgeable and helpful.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 28, 2017 @ 11:01 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
felis - 27 November 2017 11:57 PM

[...] In the keyboards, I’m pretty sure the same sensors are used that enable velocity control - they’re just read in the reverse order, so it would probably be a relatively simple matter for them to do it.[...]

Keyboards that are velocity sensitive typically have two switch contacts per key - I’ll refer to them as A and B. When a key is depressed, A closes first, shortly followed by B. The difference in time from closure of A to that of B determines the key velocity. To obtain release velocity, the processor would just have to determine the difference in time from contact B opening to A opening. Of course, in order for the synth to respond to that, its tone generator would have to be designed to react to the data.

It would seem that an OS update for previous models might be able to address generation of release velocity via MIDI. Having the tone generator respond is likely something that would only appear in future models, if Yamaha could be convinced of its value to a sufficient number of users.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Sierra mac Ethernet xf
Next Topic:

Cannot load Parson imperial grand illegal file ››