mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Part reverts to Poly after being set to Mono in Song mode"

Posted on: November 18, 2017 @ 03:29 PM
keyman@usa.net
Total Posts:  77
Joined  07-28-2006

Greetings Forum!

I have a Song on Motif XF where the second part is Baritone Sax in GM bank.  I use this Song in a Master to play multiple parts live [like a performance with more than 4 parts].

I want to make the B. Sax MONO.

When I edit the Part in Mixing I change the parameter to MONO. I save[Store] the Mixing. I then save[Store] the Song. The part reverts to POLY.

Help me understand what I’ve missed or the portion of the manual I need to review.

Thx.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 18, 2017 @ 03:37 PM
cmayhle
Total Posts:  3116
Joined  10-05-2011

In order to STORE your MIX PART Edits, you’ll want to create a MIX VOICE.

See This Article

Alternatively, you can always Edit a PRESET, and STORE a USER VOICE (at the VOICE Mode level), and then use that custom VOICE in your MIXING.

The Edits you made in SONG/PATTERN MIX MODE to the sax PART, were to the original PRESET VOICE, and are not STORED unless you employ one of the above techniques.

As you will see, one of the nice benefits of a MIX VOICE is the fact that it does not use one of the USER slots.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 18, 2017 @ 03:40 PM
keyman@usa.net
Joined  07-28-2006

Thank You cmayhle!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 20, 2017 @ 01:37 AM
keyman@usa.net
Joined  07-28-2006
cmayhle - 18 November 2017 03:37 PM

In order to STORE your MIX PART Edits, you’ll want to create a MIX VOICE.

See This Article

Alternatively, you can always Edit a PRESET, and STORE a USER VOICE (at the VOICE Mode level), and then use that custom VOICE in your MIXING.

The Edits you made in SONG/PATTERN MIX MODE to the sax PART, were to the original PRESET VOICE, and are not STORED unless you employ one of the above techniques.

As you will see, one of the nice benefits of a MIX VOICE is the fact that it does not use one of the USER slots.

The USER VOICE strategy worked perfectly. [should have thought of that . . . ]

[Must have missed something in the MIX VOICE article because I didn’t find the Poly/Mono setting. ]

Bottom line: USER VOICE worked perfectly!

Thank You!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 20, 2017 @ 09:56 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
keyman@usa.net - 20 November 2017 01:37 AM

[Must have missed something in the MIX VOICE article because I didn’t find the Poly/Mono setting. ]

The suggestion by cmayhle to use a Mix Voice is generally a good one, since it can avoid unnecessarily taking up a User Voice location in some cases. However, when using [F6] Vce Edit, the Mono/Poly setting is not accessible.

Of course, when editing Parts the Mono/Poly setting is available. Changing that setting for any Normal (non-DRUM) Voice and then pressing [STORE] > [ENTER] > [YES] should prevent the setting from reverting. Please check again, and let us know if you find otherwise.

By the way, the terms SAVE and STORE shouldn’t be used interchangeably, since they refer to two different functions. You can STORE changes made to a Program (Voice, Performance, etc.) to the XF’s internal memory. You can SAVE a file to an external device such as a USB drive. I’m making the point because if you edit a Parameter and then SAVE a file without first STORING, the stored file will not reflect the edit. If that file is then reloaded, the Parameter will “revert” to the previous (unedited) setting. Always STORE - then SAVE if you want to create a file.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 20, 2017 @ 03:03 PM
keyman@usa.net
Joined  07-28-2006
5pinDIN - 20 November 2017 09:56 AM

The suggestion by cmayhle to use a Mix Voice is generally a good one, since it can avoid unnecessarily taking up a User Voice location in some cases. However, when using [F6] Vce Edit, the Mono/Poly setting is not accessible.

Of course, when editing Parts the Mono/Poly setting is available. Changing that setting for any Normal (non-DRUM) Voice and then pressing [STORE] > [ENTER] > [YES] should prevent the setting from reverting. Please check again, and let us know if you find otherwise.

By the way, the terms SAVE and STORE shouldn’t be used interchangeably, . . .

Always excellent and knowledgeable information in this forum!

Interesting to note that “ . . . the Mono/Poly setting is not accessible.”

Thank you for the clarification about Save vs. Store; an important distinction.

I will edit the Part again and report the behavior.

Cheers

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 20, 2017 @ 08:35 PM
keyman@usa.net
Joined  07-28-2006
keyman@usa.net - 20 November 2017 03:03 PM
5pinDIN - 20 November 2017 09:56 AM

. . .

By the way, the terms SAVE and STORE shouldn’t be used interchangeably, . . .

Always excellent and knowledgeable information in this forum!

Interesting to note that “ . . . the Mono/Poly setting is not accessible.”

Thank you for the clarification about Save vs. Store; an important distinction.

I will edit the Part again and report the behavior.

Cheers

I went to Mixing in the Song. B. Sax is Part 2. From Mixing pressed Edit. Made certain to press Track then 2 [didn’t want to accidently edit Common parameters]. Changed Poly to Mono.
Pressed Store, Enter, Yes. Then Stored the Song. After storing the Mix I confirmed that the B. Sax played in Mono. After storing the Song I confirmed that the B. Sax played in Mono.
When I entered Master mode I navigated away from the master D11 and then back to D11 to ensure everything was refreshed. The B. Sax in the Master was playing Poly. Confirmed that it had reverted by pressing Song then Mixing and Edit for Part 2.
For the pupose of this excercise I used the GM B. Sax E04
Forgive the long reply. Thx

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 20, 2017 @ 08:46 PM
keyman@usa.net
Joined  07-28-2006

Just did some more digging.

My Master has
Int Bank Select X
Int Prog Select X

For Zone 2 and 68 value for program change.

It seems the Master is pointing to GM B. Sax

‘the enemy is us’

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 20, 2017 @ 10:53 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
keyman@usa.net - 20 November 2017 08:46 PM

[...] ‘the enemy is us’

Oops…

Yes, with internal Bank and Program selection “on” (checked), and presumably MSB and LSB at default values of 000 (GM Bank), that would indeed explain what was happening.

Thanks for digging further and informing us of the cause. It’s good to know there wasn’t a bug.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 27, 2017 @ 03:51 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

I just remembered this somewhat related issue I previously posted about:
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/478368/

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 13, 2017 @ 06:13 AM
keyman@usa.net
Joined  07-28-2006
5pinDIN - 27 November 2017 03:51 AM

I just remembered this somewhat related issue I previously posted about:
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/478368/

This is the kind of insight and detail that so many of us rely on.
Thank you 5pinDIN. Thank you Motifator!

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Connect to Mac issue
Next Topic:

SYSEX Command for switch part in a song ››