mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Basic Questions on MOXF"

Posted on: September 19, 2017 @ 02:21 PM
Donald-M
Total Posts:  666
Joined  11-08-2007

My church is considering getting the MOXF.  Will voice libraries created on a Motif XS8 work on the MOXF?  What is the basic difference between the MOXF and the MotifXF?  Thank you.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 19, 2017 @ 05:22 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
Donald-M - 19 September 2017 02:21 PM

My church is considering getting the MOXF.  Will voice libraries created on a Motif XS8 work on the MOXF?

The MOXF is incompatible with any XS files.

There’s full compatibility between all XS files and the XF.

Donald-M -

What is the basic difference between the MOXF and the MotifXF?  Thank you.

These should help:
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/469959/
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/470062/
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/471103/
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/471900/

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 19, 2017 @ 11:56 PM
Donald-M
Joined  11-08-2007
5pinDIN - 19 September 2017 05:22 PM
Donald-M - 19 September 2017 02:21 PM

My church is considering getting the MOXF.  Will voice libraries created on a Motif XS8 work on the MOXF?

The MOXF is incompatible with any XS files.

There’s full compatibility between all XS files and the XF. 

Well that’s a bummer!  I guess the next question is, is there any conversion program available that will take XS voices and make them compatible with the MOXF? Or is the architecture just too different for that to happen?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 20, 2017 @ 01:02 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
Donald-M - 19 September 2017 11:56 PM

[...] is there any conversion program available that will take XS voices and make them compatible with the MOXF? Or is the architecture just too different for that to happen?

The architecture isn’t that different for many types of data. An XF can be used to convert XS Voices, as well as Performances, Arps, Mix Templates, and Waveforms (but not Songs or Patterns) - the MOXF can read XF files with that data. Yamaha apparently made a marketing decision to not provide direct compatibility on the MOXF to differentiate it from the XF. The MOXF has a lot of the XF features, but obviously not all of them. The MOXF is fully compatible with MOX files, by the way.

See http://www.jmelas.gr/motif/index.php for conversions.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 22, 2017 @ 12:32 PM
Donald-M
Joined  11-08-2007
5pinDIN - 20 September 2017 01:02 AM
Donald-M - 19 September 2017 11:56 PM

[...] is there any conversion program available that will take XS voices and make them compatible with the MOXF? Or is the architecture just too different for that to happen?

The architecture isn’t that different for many types of data. An XF can be used to convert XS Voices, as well as Performances, Arps, Mix Templates, and Waveforms (but not Songs or Patterns) - the MOXF can read XF files with that data. Yamaha apparently made a marketing decision to not provide direct compatibility on the MOXF to differentiate it from the XF. The MOXF has a lot of the XF features, but obviously not all of them. The MOXF is fully compatible with MOX files, by the way.

See http://www.jmelas.gr/motif/index.php for conversions.

Thanks for the info.  I was hoping I could create voices on my XS at home for a song set, then put them on a jump drive, and import them to the MOXF at church directly!  It would have made life much easier!  Oh well...can’t have everything!  I’ll check out Melas’s site.  Thanks.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 22, 2017 @ 12:38 PM
Donald-M
Joined  11-08-2007

Melas’s website doesn’t provide a lot of info on the editor program.  What I’m wondering is will Melas’s XS editor allow you to save a voice (or performance for that matter) in MOX format?  If so, then that could be imported to the MOXF, I believe.  But the webpage doesn’t say if that’s possible.  Does anyone know?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 22, 2017 @ 03:39 PM
cmayhle
Total Posts:  3116
Joined  10-05-2011

You may find This Thread useful for the tasks you have outlined, as well as the following reference:

How to convert VOICES...(2) methods...directly from John Melas (MOX/MOXF references are my own):

“To convert using Total Librarian: (converts Voices, Drum Kits, Performances, Songs, Patterns, Masters)

Create a new Total Library file (File->New Total Library)
Import your XS file (File->Import Native File)
Transmit to the synth (Edit->Transmit all)

To convert using Waveform Editor: (converts Voices, Drum Kits, Waveforms)

XS->XF[MOX or MOXF]:
Create a new XF[MOX or MOXF] All file (File->New)
Open your XS file (File->Open)
Copy Voices from XS file to XF[MOX or MOXF] using copy paste (drag and drop also works)
-- Dependent Waveforms will be copied automatically
Save XF[MOX or MOXF] file (File->Save)
Load to XF[MOX or MOXF] using USB memory stick!”

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 22, 2017 @ 05:47 PM
Donald-M
Joined  11-08-2007

Hey thanks for that info.  That may make my life easier.  If I can save a handful of voices I create at home on my XS to the jump drive in MOX format, and then import those into the MOXF at church...that’ll be a time saver!  I’m the main synth guy, and the only one who knows how to program any of the gear at this point.  I’m hoping to do some workshops with a few others to show them how to take advantage of the many features in the Motif architecture to create some great sounds.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 22, 2017 @ 05:54 PM
Donald-M
Joined  11-08-2007

So I read through the thread about using the John Melas total librarian.  So, just to be clear, I can use the XS Total Librarian and SAVE voices/perfs or other in MOX format?  And MOX format can be read by the MOXF?  Is all that correct?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 22, 2017 @ 06:25 PM
philwoodmusic
Total Posts:  1055
Joined  07-01-2013

Hi Donald-M,

Following on from what cmayhle said.

You’ll want the version of Total Librarian which is compatible with your destination keyboard.

if you plan on converting voices from XS or anything else to MOXF, you’ll eventually need to transmit the voices (via MIDI through a USB cable) to your MOXF after conversion.

All you need to do is this (presuming you have already saved an XS file):

1 - Get the MOXF Total Librarian.

2 - Install it and create a new Total Library window (empty)

3 - Import your XS file into that on your computer, using the import function in Total Librarian.

4 - Then, either transmit everything to the MOXF, or transmit individual voices and performances.

5 - Save a MOXF ALL file on a thumb drive plugged into its USB TO DEVICE port.

The conversion takes place on your computer in the Total Librarian application and the result is what you transmit (via USB MIDI).

(also make sure you have backed up your MOXF first in case you write over anything of value)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 22, 2017 @ 08:52 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
Donald-M - 22 September 2017 05:54 PM

So I read through the thread about using the John Melas total librarian.  So, just to be clear, I can use the XS Total Librarian and SAVE voices/perfs or other in MOX format?  And MOX format can be read by the MOXF?  Is all that correct?

Yes, as I previously mentioned, the MOXF can read MOX files. However, that’s not what’s relevant here.

I suggest that you download the Melas Waveform Editor demo, install it on your computer, and read at least the first several pages of the manual.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 25, 2017 @ 09:21 PM
Donald-M
Joined  11-08-2007
5pinDIN - 22 September 2017 08:52 PM
Donald-M - 22 September 2017 05:54 PM

Yes, as I previously mentioned, the MOXF can read MOX files. However, that’s not what’s relevant here.

I suggest that you download the Melas Waveform Editor demo, install it on your computer, and read at least the first several pages of the manual.

Thanks for all the info.  I just found out today that my church is indeed getting the MOXF 8.  Picking it up Wednesday. I’ll be playing it Thursday at rehearsal, and on Sunday!  So, I need to get up to speed on this thing, FAST!

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Recordings Arp to cubase AI?
Next Topic:

New here - Just got the MOXF8 yesterday! Woohoo!! ››