mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "MOXF USB driver and John Melas Editors."

Posted on: April 06, 2017 @ 09:41 PM
AlBassKeys
Total Posts:  18
Joined  04-16-2015

Hi All

I purchased the John Melas editors a couple of years ago but have as yet to use these in earnest. Bottom line that that I had a Windows XP desktop PC and had installed everything and did get my MOXF connected and did a bit of editing, but nothing too extensive.

I recently needed to upgrade my PC and I have replaced it with a notebook running Windows 10. I’m looking at using the editors more now since the laptop means I can easily bring it to the MOXF rather than having to lug the MOXF to where my PC use to be.

I have installed the software (the latest V2.5.0 of John Melas bundle) but am now finding that I have issues in the software using the MOXF.

Initially, I had neglected to install the USB driver, so downloaded and installed the latest USB diver (v1.9.9) from the Yamaha website.

Using USB 2.0 pot on the notebook PC shows an “error” in Device Manager, but when I connect the MOXF to a USB 3 port Device Manager shows a “clean” bill of health with the Yamaha driver shown under Audio and MM devices.

However, when i go to set the MIDI In and MIDI out ports on the John Melas software, I am presented with multiple (8 or so) MIDI connectivity option for the MOXF.

Trying to select ANY of these results in an error message and the software ultimately doesn’t see the MOXF synth...so i can’t do any data transfer between synth and computer or vice-versa.

has anyone seen such an issue or have any ideas about what I can do to try and resolve this.

The only thing I can think of is that I installed the Yamaha USB driver AFTER I had installed the John Melas software so am wondering whether this is the reason why i might be experiencing issues?

If so, would a simple uninstall and re-install of the JM software resolve the issue, or is this unlikely to have an impact?

Also, does it sound normal that I have issues with the USB v2 port and need to use a USB v3 for the Yamaha driver to work correctly with the MOXF?

Advice would be much appreciated.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 07, 2017 @ 11:46 PM
AlBassKeys
Joined  04-16-2015

More info…

It seems that NO APPLICATION (not just the John Melas) editors) is able to communicate with the MOXF.

I have installed the latest USB Driver (v1.9.9) and while I receive a device issue if I plug the MOXF into a USB2 port, when I plug it into a USB3 port on the PC, device manager correctly shows MOXF6/MOXF8 operating correctly, so at least the operating system sees the synth.

However, there is nothing I can do to allow the Yamaha stand-alone editor (version 1.6.3) to communicate with the MOXF.

I continually receive an “Unidentified External Error” message and any attempt to “sync” to the device is greeted with a message that such a device does not exist.

I am running Windows 10 (64 bit) and am logged in as the Administrator.

The Yamaha site claims that both the USB driver and the software works with Windows 10 (32/64 bit).

Any ideas for what I can try next?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 08, 2017 @ 08:57 AM
meatballfulton
Total Posts:  3022
Joined  01-25-2005

Outside of the usual delete and reinstall, I would just get on the phone with Yamaha support.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 08, 2017 @ 09:45 AM
jg666
Total Posts:  178
Joined  11-15-2015

I would try uninstalling and re-installing the driver as stated above.

I’m running the same Windows 10 64bit and the same version of the driver as you and mine connects fine with the Melas tools.

Are you connecting to the correct port on the the MOXF? I assume you must be if the computer can see it but clutching at straws a bit here!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 08, 2017 @ 07:42 PM
philwoodmusic
Total Posts:  1055
Joined  07-01-2013
jg666 - 08 April 2017 09:45 AM

Are you connecting to the correct port on the the MOXF?!

It’s a great question and I thought the same on reading the thread.  Most people usually specify that they are using the ‘TO HOST’ USB port, and that way we know they’ve got it right.

Also, I wondered if the OP could try to replicate the problem on another computer of a similar specification if at all possible.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 08, 2017 @ 11:42 PM
AlBassKeys
Joined  04-16-2015

Thanks for all the responses.

I have actually gone through the process of uninstalling everything (USB driver, Yamaha editor software and Melas software) and re-installing everything again from scratch.

I assume (hope!!!) that the uninstall process removes EVERYTHING and does not leave any artefacts in Windows (eg like the registry) that may be screwing things up for me.

The only other thing I haven’t tested is the actual USB cable itself, though as the computer sees the MOXF, I suspect it should be OK.

Does anyone have advice as to whether there is a requirement for USB 3 as opposed to USB 2 (ie. should the connectivity be OK with USB2)?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 09, 2017 @ 03:34 AM
jg666
Joined  11-15-2015

I’m using a USB2 port on my computer and the lead itself is definitely not USB2 - it’s just a lead I borrow from my printer when I want to connect to the MOXF as that is the only cable I have with the correct square type end.

I noticed in the manual it says this:-

• Use an AB type USB cable. USB 3.0 cables cannot be used.

Edit - one more obvious question if I may :-) Are you on the latest firmware version for you MOXF?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 09, 2017 @ 07:38 AM
AlBassKeys
Joined  04-16-2015

Good Questions and thanks for the feedback to my questions about the USB port being used...here’s my answers…

I am on Firmware V1.03.0

I am definitely using the “TO HOST” port on the MOXF, which is a USB-B type connector - the square type.

Obviously the out of my notebook PC is type A, so the cable I have is a type A to type B to allow me to connect to each device.

It’s interesting if the USB-B connector is a USB-2 compliant thing, because I can only get the notebook PC to correctly see the MOXF if it’s plugged into a USB3 port on the computer (basically has the blue plastic moulding inside the port as opposed to a black or white moulding.

I guess I may try to update my firmware to V1.12.0 to see if that solves the problem.

Wish me luck!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 09, 2017 @ 11:46 PM
AlBassKeys
Joined  04-16-2015

OK...am officially at a loss now, but I have one more option.

for the record:
1. Keyboard has been updated to the latest firmware (V1.12.0).
2. All MOXF software and the Steinberg driver was removed from the PC (uninstalled).
3. Removed the Korg USB driver (which was used for a Korg TR).
Re-installed the latest Steinberg USB driver (V1.9.9) and reinstalled the Yamaha editing software.
4. Two different USB cables were tried to make sure it was a cable problem (both of these connected from a USB port on the laptop computer to the “To Host” port on the MOXF.
5. Both the USB2 port and the USB3 ports on the laptop computer were tried - same results as always...the USB3 port showed do driver issue while using the USB2 port did show that there was an issue.
6. The USB3 connection correctly shows the MOXF6/MOXF8 item connected with no OS-reported issue.

There has been no difference to any of the (lack of) functionality as previously described.

The software only reports OFFLINE and all attempts to bring this into an ONLINE mode fails.

I did get a “Data Port In use” error message on some occasions, and on others simply a case of there being no communications set up between the PC and the MOXF.
Check the MOXF settings and it definitely is configured to use the USB port for MIDI and I’ve even tried manually setting the device ID and trying virtually all combinations of these between MOXF and PC - but no luck.

I’m resigned to the fact that either:
- the laptop (which is near new) has a hardware fault on ALL USB ports that seems to only affect communication between the MOXF and the PC (USB ports work fine with USB memory sticks and portable hard drives...so these are somewhat tested)
- the OS has something “dodgy” in it that prevents that driver and/or software from functioning correctly.

thanks for all the advice - I am going to be trying the last option I have...fresh install of Windows 7 to the PC and then a reattempt at everything.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 10, 2017 @ 01:14 AM
jimbowal
Total Posts:  94
Joined  06-13-2014

Deleted - did see that the MOXF settings were set to USB.....

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 11, 2017 @ 07:14 PM
AlBassKeys
Joined  04-16-2015

Update:

First, the bad news. I cannot give anybody any insights as to why i had the problem I did have with my system. I was never able to work out why the communication between my Windows 10 laptop and MOXF was problemmatic, made all the more confusing because it was a relatively new OS install and not much was loaded onto the PC to have caused any significant driver issues.

The end result is that installing Windows 7 onto the laptop has resulted in an ability to now use the software as intended.

Laptop and MOXF are now talking to one another, and this is true of both the Yamaha Editor as well as the John Melas suite of programs.

Thanks to all for the suggestions offered.

It turns out that everything I had tried was correct, so there was clearly something screwing about the previous OS installation and the way the PC and the MOXF interacted.

Cheers.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 12, 2017 @ 01:14 AM
jg666
Joined  11-15-2015

Very strange! Well at least you’ve got it working now, enjoy :-)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 12, 2017 @ 03:31 PM
jg666
Joined  11-15-2015

You won’t believe this but I think I have the same problem now!

Windows 10 reports the MOXF6 as being connected but none of the Melas tools will autoconnect to the MOXF - they just report that it was not found.

The only thing that is different on my computer from when the tools were working properly is that I installed a driver for my new Moog Sub32.

I wonder if I have to re-install the Yamaha driver?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 12, 2017 @ 03:48 PM
jg666
Joined  11-15-2015

Sorry my ranting is over now!

I remembered that I had to change a setting on the MOXF in order to connect it to another synth by MIDI cable.

Because this was set to MIDI rather than USB in Utility/MIDI/Other it wasn’t connecting on the PC.

It’s a shame it can’t handle both scenarios at the same time because I’ve now got to remember to set that back again to synch with my other keyboards.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 12, 2017 @ 06:57 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
jg666 - 12 June 2017 03:48 PM

[...] I remembered that I had to change a setting on the MOXF in order to connect it to another synth by MIDI cable.

Because this was set to MIDI rather than USB in Utility/MIDI/Other it wasn’t connecting on the PC.

It’s a shame it can’t handle both scenarios at the same time because I’ve now got to remember to set that back again to synch with my other keyboards.

Without knowing anything about any MIDI software or other gear you’re using, I’ll point you to MIDI channels and MIDI ports on page 54 of the MOXF Owner’s manual, specifically the Port 3 information. Depending on what you need to do, and what capabilities your MIDI software has, you might be able to leave the MOXF configured for USB and have software route MIDI data via USB Port 3.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 13, 2017 @ 02:39 AM
jg666
Joined  11-15-2015
5pinDIN - 12 June 2017 06:57 PM
jg666 - 12 June 2017 03:48 PM

[...] I remembered that I had to change a setting on the MOXF in order to connect it to another synth by MIDI cable.

Without knowing anything about any MIDI software or other gear you’re using, I’ll point you to MIDI channels and MIDI ports on page 54 of the MOXF Owner’s manual, specifically the Port 3 information. Depending on what you need to do, and what capabilities your MIDI software has, you might be able to leave the MOXF configured for USB and have software route MIDI data via USB Port 3.

Thanks mate. I’ll give that a read and see what I can do. I must admit that MIDI stuff does confuse me still and the MIDI setting for the MOXF I just had an educated guess!

I suppose it’s time for me to learn more ...... again :)

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ MOXF SPLIT
Next Topic:

Voices ››