mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "iPad Set list app that can change modes/master numbers"

Posted on: June 11, 2012 @ 03:46 PM
mykejb
Total Posts:  101
Joined  12-28-2010

I’ve been playing with the “Set List Maker” app from the Apple App Store and it’s the only one I’ve found that can actually change the modes and master number of the XF.

It has a “raw midi” option for each song which you can use to send the SysEx messages that the XF needs to change voice/performance/song/master modes and also select a particular master. None of this can be done just with the usual PC/CC commands.

It’s certainly helped me sort out a few configuration changes I couldn’t do previously without a lot of button pushing on the synth.

It’s also good for controlling other kit. For example I can now turn Guitar-to-MIDI on/off on a VG99 for each song which again was impossible without SysEx.

Ok, all this can be done with a translator like the Midi Solutions one, but this is so much easier and cheaper.

Song data can be imported from a file, so it’s easy to get all the song data populated without having to type it all on the iPad. It does run on iPhone but I’ve not tried that yet.

DISCLAIMER - I have no financial or other interest in this program, just sharing the details!

Mike

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 13, 2012 @ 04:25 PM
Nokternul Phi Delity
Total Posts:  43
Joined  04-04-2012

nice find!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 15, 2012 @ 10:39 AM
suisidol
Total Posts:  18
Joined  01-15-2012

I wanted to hear something about this app because I have 3 boards and an effects processor to change during songs and have currently been using a ground controller. Is it able to control more than a motif? And what midi adapter are you using?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 16, 2012 @ 02:05 PM
luigicatano
Total Posts:  6
Joined  06-05-2012

Hi!

I downloaded this app trying to deal with this issue. However, I haven’t been able to program the mode change. I know you have to put the SySex command in the Raw MIDI field of this app. I guess I’m doing something wrong…

Luigi

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 24, 2012 @ 09:53 AM
mykejb
Total Posts:  101
Joined  12-28-2010

Sysex commands you need are :

Change the selected master number to X (which needs to be in HEX)

F0 43 11 7F 12 0A 00 00 X F7

Change mode to X, where X0 for VOicem 1 for Perf, 3 for Pattern/Song, 4 for master

F0 43 11 7F 12 0A 00 01 X F7

Note both these strings will hit ANY XF you have in your MIDI rig - if you have more than one change 7F to be the particular device you want to change.

All the SysEx commands are in the Motif data list document.

The program will work with loads of stuff - currently I’m using an XF, Fantom G6 and a VG99 live but it works with Kronos too. I have the IK Rig MIDI adaptor but I’m pretty sure it’ll work with any Core MIDI device like the Line6 or Yamaha ones.

Mike

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 24, 2012 @ 03:07 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
mykejb - 24 June 2012 09:53 AM

Change mode to X, where X0 for VOicem 1 for Perf, 3 for Pattern/Song, 4 for master

Note both these strings will hit ANY XF you have in your MIDI rig - if you have more than one change 7F to be the particular device you want to change.

The fourth byte (7F) of the above messages is part of the Model ID, so you wouldn’t want to change that. The third byte (11 in your example) is the Device Number. It can have hex values from 10 (usual default) through 1F, corresponding to device #’s 1 through 16. (11 would be device #2).

Also see my first post in this thread.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 12, 2013 @ 09:14 AM
EdK
Total Posts:  1
Joined  03-12-2013

Hi Mike,

Thanks for posting this information. I have been searching and searching for info along these lines.

I have a question for you if you don’t mind please.

I am looking for an iPad app like Yamaha’s Set List Organizer but can’t seem to find any that also support issueing SYSEX commands.  It appears that Set List Maker may meet my needs.

Let me describe my current setup and perhaps you can tell me if I can accomplish this with Set List Maker.

I have two Korg keyboards (Triton Studio and and old M1).
I am currently sendimg patch change commands to both keyboards from a device/software I purchased from Genovation a few years ago called a Midi Patch Changer.  At the time, the product was still in BETA and unfortunately Genovation never took it any further and has since dropped it completely.  An employee/developer at the company created a ‘custom’ version of the firmware/software for me to allow issuing two SYSEX/Patch Change commands on a single MIDI channel.  The reason for this is because in both of my Korg keyboards, I setup two patches on each keyboard (in two different ‘modes’) that I can flip/flop between them while performing a particular song.  But in order to set two different patches (one in each ‘mode’) on a specific keyboard, the patch change command needs to be preceded by a SYSEX command that will set the keyboard into the proper ‘mode’ first.

The ‘modes’ on the Korgs are called “Program” and “Combi”.  Other synth manufacturers (Roland, Yamaha, etc) also have ‘modes’ although they refer to them by different names but essentially they’re the same thing.

Can Set List Maker send two SYSEX/Patch Change commands ‘pairs’ on a single MIDI channel?  For example, here is the sequence of the commands I need to be able to send (one one MIDI channel)-

Sys Ex:  F0 42 30 50 4E 02 F7 (set “prog” mode)
Bank MSB: 0
Bank LSB: 2
Patch #:  01
Sys Ex:  F0 42 30 50 4E 00 F7 (set “combi” mode)
Bank MSB: 0
Bank LSB: 2
Patch #:  0D

Thanks for any assitance/insight you can provide!!

Ed

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 29, 2013 @ 08:27 AM
donsimpson12
Total Posts:  23
Joined  06-05-2011

Hello Everyone,

I just sent an email to the “Main Dude” behind this Ipad App.
This app is used extensively in out band for our shows.
I sent him a link to this thread so he would have a better understanding about what is needed. so we could use the app to change modes maybe easier than with a Sysex dump so to speak.

I want to avoid that because we use 3 Motifs in the band and we would have to go back and redo about every song to make sure that the mode is set for each song..

Thanks
Don

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 31, 2017 @ 01:41 AM
Taylormaidmusiq
Total Posts:  2
Joined  05-30-2017
5pinDIN - 24 June 2012 03:07 PM
mykejb - 24 June 2012 09:53 AM

The fourth byte (7F) of the above messages is part of the Model ID, so you wouldn’t want to change that. The third byte (11 in your example) is the Device Number. It can have hex values from 10 (usual default) through 1F, corresponding to device #’s 1 through 16. (11 would be device #2).

Also see my first post in this thread.

Hello I’m a new comer to the party. Been using the setlist maker app for years but never got into the midi section of it. I see similar problems that I am encountering where I am trying to change modes (only from voice to performance and vice versa) on an ES 7. Can anyone provide the right sysex string for changing modes on the ES? I’ve tried ones that I’ve eeen here to no avail. I’m wondering if the strings are device dependent. Meaning the 7f in the 4th set refers to a particular motif? Can anyone help?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 31, 2017 @ 07:55 AM
alanb
Total Posts:  301
Joined  02-15-2009

The UnRealBook does it also

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 07, 2023 @ 12:00 AM
d's_exp
Total Posts:  8
Joined  12-15-2011

Does anyone know Sysex messages for selecting tracks (1 to 16) in Motif XF Song mode?

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Problem with voices!
Next Topic:

XS<> XF Waveform Number "translation" ››