mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "XD to SM Card Adapater for Motif?"

Posted on: May 25, 2017 @ 05:46 PM
BrotherA
Total Posts:  4
Joined  05-25-2017

Trying to resurrect an original Motif 6 and now searching for a Memory Card solution. I found some used SmartMedia (SM) cards on ebay but have also discovered the option of an XD to SD card adapter. The benefits of this route I see is that it will be a little cheaper and XD cards are more readily available than SM cards. Has anyone tried with success using a SM card reader vs. the actual SM card for storing data?

Thanks!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 25, 2017 @ 06:10 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

Welcome to the forum.

See http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/449696/

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 25, 2017 @ 08:02 PM
BrotherA
Joined  05-25-2017

Thanks for the reply and the link to the thread. From what I read, I did not see any conclusion that was arrived at regarding the viability of using the XD > SM adapter. It seems at least one person used it successfully and one person tried it and it did not work for them. So, anyone else with insights is welcomed.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 27, 2017 @ 08:39 AM
meatballfulton
Total Posts:  3022
Joined  01-25-2005

It worked fine for me. Send me a PM for details.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 31, 2017 @ 08:25 PM
BrotherA
Joined  05-25-2017

meatballfulton,
What worked fine for you? The adapter? It would be great to respond here as the other thread that was shared here was not conclusive on the “adapter” solution.
Thanks,
~ A ~

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 08, 2017 @ 04:56 AM
BrotherA
Joined  05-25-2017

Looks like I’ve become a guinea pig here with a failed attempt on this solution. Here in 2017 I was able to fine brand 2 new XD to SM Card Adapters as well as several like new FujiFilm XD Cards online for a reasonable price. And, none of them works. I tried both 128mb XD cards I got as well as a 16mb card with both of the two adapters I bought and none of them are reading on the Motif in any combination. They are not reading at all so formatting is not even possible. So that was wasted money that I am regretting and a lesson learned in that I was trying to find a less expensive solution and now wound up eating these cards and adapters and still have to go out and buy the SM Cards anyways!

If anyone reads this that actually got this solution to work that has a trick or tip, I would love to be wrong about this. And it seems pretty straight forward - you plug in the card and away you go with saving something on it or at least being able to have the machine recognize the card to format it.

ps I tried to upload a photo of the cards that was under 2mb but the forum would not load it. Oh well.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 14, 2017 @ 01:30 PM
nbadesign
Total Posts:  994
Joined  08-20-2007

BrotherA - 08 June 2017 04:56 AM

Looks like I’ve become a guinea pig here with a failed attempt on this solution. Here in 2017 I was able to fine brand 2 new XD to SM Card Adapters as well as several like new FujiFilm XD Cards online for a reasonable price. And, none of them works. I tried both 128mb XD cards I got as well as a 16mb card with both of the two adapters I bought and none of them are reading on the Motif in any combination. They are not reading at all so formatting is not even possible. So that was wasted money that I am regretting and a lesson learned in that I was trying to find a less expensive solution and now wound up eating these cards and adapters and still have to go out and buy the SM Cards anyways!

If anyone reads this that actually got this solution to work that has a trick or tip, I would love to be wrong about this. And it seems pretty straight forward - you plug in the card and away you go with saving something on it or at least being able to have the machine recognize the card to format it.

ps I tried to upload a photo of the cards that was under 2mb but the forum would not load it. Oh well.

I had Motif ES and for firmware update I have bought SM to xD adapter. I have several 64Mb xD cards and one 128Mb. All works without any issue. I’m still using this adapter although I have sold ES, since I bought MU2000EX tone generator that also has Smart Media card slot. And adapter works fine there also.
So, it is possible that you don’t have correct SM adapter. I bought mine at: http://www.memoryx.com/byladapter.html. It is now $5.98. As I said, I have successfully update firmware on my Motif ES ten years ago and now I’m using it with 15 years old tone generator!
I remember that loading data on my ES, especially large samples was much faster with SMC (xD over adapter) than with USB. This should be the same with classic Motif, since both uses slow USB 1.1 standard.

Alex

[ Ignore ]