mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Sync the tempo from external synth?"

Posted on: April 16, 2017 @ 01:46 AM
jg666
Total Posts:  178
Joined  11-15-2015

Current setup :-

Korg Minilogue connected to my MOXF6 through the left input socket.

This is working OK but I was wondering if I can now take it a stage further....

What I’m doing at the moment is setting off an Arp or a sequence that I’ve created on the Minilogue and then playing a performance that I created on the MOXF. It’s good fun and I’m enjoying making a lot of noise ;-)

The problem I have is that I’m having to manually start the MOXF performance at the right time to match the Minilogue. I have both tempos set the same so that’s the only sticking point.

If I connect midi between the 2 as well as the A/D input, can I sync them so that it removes the necessity for me to get the start point spot on? I don’t even know if it’s possible to have both connections (A/D input and midi) running at the same time?

I suppose this leads to another question.. If connected via midi, will the audio play through from the Minilogue to the MOXF without using the A/D input?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 16, 2017 @ 05:17 PM
zpink
Total Posts:  427
Joined  08-02-2014

Hi there

What exactly do you mean by “starting the MOXF performance”?
Do you mean a song or pattern?

For general MIDI sync stuff, check page 148 in the ref manual.
It will also of course depend on what the Korg transmits.

To be able to hear the audio from the Minilogue through your MoXF, you will always need the audio cables, MIDI doesn’t include any audio! ;-)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 17, 2017 @ 01:38 AM
jg666
Joined  11-15-2015

OK thanks. I’ve not got as far as doing patterns or songs properly yet! I have created a performance which consists of 3 voices split across the keyboard and a drum accompaniment.

One of the voices is ‘Percussive Sequence’ which is set to run a latched Arp and that triggers the drum accompaniment.

I then have to manually start the sequence/Arp on the Korg to be in time with what is playing on the Yamaha.

The other 2 voices on the Yamaha performance are used for lead-type stuff and aren’t running an Arp.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 17, 2017 @ 02:32 AM
zpink
Total Posts:  427
Joined  08-02-2014

Ah ok, maybe it would be easier for you to sync the other way?
So MIDI out from your MoXF and into the Korg.

You can then start/play the Monologue from the MoXF and it should be in sync. Assuming that the Korg takes its clock from external.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 17, 2017 @ 12:00 PM
jg666
Joined  11-15-2015

Thanks. I’ll do some more investigation and try it from the MOXF to the Minilogue.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 18, 2017 @ 03:30 AM
jg666
Joined  11-15-2015

Slightly related to this is something else that’s bugging me..

Each time I change to a different performance on the MOXF I have to change the input of the A/D otherwise it just comes out of the left hand speaker.

The Minilogue is only using the left input and so I have it set so that the sound comes out of both speakers (LMONO). The performances I’ve created all same to have that set correctly, but when I change to one of the factory performances it’s always set to STEREO and only comes out of the left speaker so I have to keep changing that value.

Is there a way to change this globally?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 18, 2017 @ 08:41 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
jg666 - 18 April 2017 03:30 AM

[...] The Minilogue is only using the left input and so I have it set so that the sound comes out of both speakers (LMONO). The performances I’ve created all same to have that set correctly, but when I change to one of the factory performances it’s always set to STEREO and only comes out of the left speaker so I have to keep changing that value. [...]

You might consider getting a 1/4” female TS to dual male TS “Y” adapter, such as https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/YPP106

Using that, you can leave the A/D setting at STEREO.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 18, 2017 @ 11:33 AM
jg666
Joined  11-15-2015

Thanks that’s a good idea. I’ll get one of those :)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 24, 2017 @ 03:08 AM
jg666
Joined  11-15-2015

I managed to connect the MOXF and Monilogue by Midi and it was fairly painless to get going with it.

I don’t understand the settings for Midi but I fumbled my way through it and have made it so the tempo is set on the MOXF and it prevents you changing the tempo on the Minilogue :)

I now have to do more reading to understand the settings and terminology. I also have no idea how to start something going on the Minilogue from the MOXF but it should be fun learning!

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Mutec 1GB Flash Board
Next Topic:

how to change the default initial sound in the moxf8 ››