mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "how to change the default initial sound in the moxf8"

Posted on: April 17, 2017 @ 11:11 PM
tradivoro
Total Posts:  45
Joined  12-16-2003

Hi everybody.  Recently got a MOXF8.  Have figured out a lot of things about the machine.  However, for some reason, I can’t figure out how to change it so that when the machine turns on, it defaults to acoustic piano. Is there a way to do this?  Any info appreciated thanks.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 17, 2017 @ 11:24 PM
cmayhle
Total Posts:  3116
Joined  10-05-2011

On page 58 of the MOXF Owner’s Manual, you can specify which MODE you want the machine to power-on with.

It will then power-on with the first setup of the chosen MODE...which happens to be Full Concert Grand in VOICE MODE.

Do you have the Owner’s Manual?  If not, Here is the direct link.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 18, 2017 @ 03:41 PM
tradivoro
Joined  12-16-2003

Again cmayhle, thanks very much.  I have the owners manual, but that is such a short blurb, I just missed it completely.  Also, just trying to wrap my head around how the machine works, the arpeggios, etc., I’m more than a little saturated.  Thanks for pointing it out. 

cmayhle - 17 April 2017 11:24 PM

On page 58 of the MOXF Owner’s Manual, you can specify which MODE you want the machine to power-on with.

It will then power-on with the first setup of the chosen MODE...which happens to be Full Concert Grand in VOICE MODE.

Do you have the Owner’s Manual?  If not, Here is the direct link.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 19, 2017 @ 11:22 PM
tradivoro
Joined  12-16-2003

After following the manual, I found that I still couldn’t get the piano to power up as the default initial sound.  Thing is the manual doesn’t go into it.  Just mentions one possibility and that’s it. 

Anyway, while searching around, I found this post at the yamaha forum by Phil Clendeninn, which actually tells you exactly what to do.  I"m posting it here for those that may go to page 58 and still not get results. At the point where he says

PowerOnMode = the mode you which it to power up in.

Use the inc/dec buttons till you find voice Pre1, press store and then it will default to the Full Concert Grand piano.

Set the “Power On Mode” parameter to the mode you wish to have you MOXF8 power on in. For example, you can have it power on in Voice mode ("voice Pre1") which means it will boot up to the Full Concert Grand piano.

If you would rather choose a specific piano, set it to power on to ("voice USER 1") then you can place whichever piano you prefer in USER 1:001(A01) and it will boot up to that Voice.

Press [UTILITY]
Press [F1] GENERAL
Press [SF6] OTHER
PowerOnMode = the mode you which it to power up in.
Press [STORE] to write this to your instrument’s internal memory
This will be written in all ALL data files (.X6A) you make from now on.
You may wish to update you older ALL data files to include this preference.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 20, 2017 @ 08:24 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
tradivoro - 19 April 2017 11:22 PM

After following the manual, I found that I still couldn’t get the piano to power up as the default initial sound.  Thing is the manual doesn’t go into it.  Just mentions one possibility and that’s it. 

Anyway, while searching around, I found this post at the yamaha forum by Phil Clendeninn, which actually tells you exactly what to do. [...]

The information you posted will work, but still omits an important MOXF feature. It makes what can be a simple task (selecting a specific Voice, Performance, Master, Song, or Pattern) more complicated than necessary.

The Owner’s Manual doesn’t do a good job of explaining PowerOnMode. The MOXF Reference Manual (http://download.yamaha.com/file/60478) does somewhat better on page 142.

What might be unclear is use of the PowerOnMode STORE+ENTER setting.
Here’s how…
1) Set PowerOnMode to STORE+ENTER.
2) Press [STORE] to lock in that setting.
3) Exit Utility mode, then select the Voice, Performance, Master, Song, or Pattern you’d like the MOXF to power up with.
4) Press [STORE] and [ENTER] buttons simultaneously.

The Voice, Performance, etc., will be what the MOXF calls up the next time it’s powered on.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 20, 2017 @ 09:55 AM
tradivoro
Joined  12-16-2003

The information you posted will work, but still omits an important MOXF feature. It makes what can be a simple task (selecting a specific Voice, Performance, Master, Song, or Pattern) more complicated than necessary.

The Owner’s Manual doesn’t do a good job of explaining PowerOnMode. The MOXF Reference Manual (http://download.yamaha.com/file/60478) does somewhat better on page 142.

What might be unclear is use of the PowerOnMode STORE+ENTER setting.
Here’s how…
3) Exit Utility mode, then select the Voice, Performance, Master, Song, or Pattern you’d like the MOXF to power up with.

The Voice, Performance, etc., will be what the MOXF calls up the next time it’s powered on.

And that’s exactly what happened.  I went through the steps in the owner’s manual, went through the STORE+ENTER exercise, but it didn’t explain it all the way through.  However, the way you explain it, it makes sense, there’s a step two.  Thanks, that could be useful in the future if I want to change to a different sound.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 11, 2019 @ 05:18 PM
marks
Total Posts:  11
Joined  06-18-2018

UPDATE to post below:

I needed to make sure during the final operation, that the STORE button was held down FIRST, and while still held down, THEN press the ENTER. This did the trick. Pressing them simultaneusly didn’t work and always resulted int he symptom I described.

---------------------------

I too am mystified by the baffling STORE+ENTER option!

I did the following (which while not successful was a darn sight more useful than the reference guide and owner’s manual):

3) Exit Utility mode, then select the Voice, Performance, Master, Song, or Pattern you’d like the MOXF to power up with. (In my case, Full Concert Grand - PRE1).

When I do this, what happens is I am prompted with:

Voice Store to
USR1:001:(A01)[Everlasting Glory .  ]

None of this is mentioned in the manual. It appears this is trying to replace what is stored in USR1, rather than set the PowerOnMode voice, which is what the above suggests.

What am I not getting about what should be such a rudimentary option?

Help is appreciated!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 11, 2019 @ 06:01 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
marks - 11 February 2019 05:18 PM

UPDATE to post below:

I needed to make sure during the final operation, that the STORE button was held down FIRST, and while still held down, THEN press the ENTER. This did the trick. Pressing them simultaneusly didn’t work and always resulted int he symptom I described.

Thanks for updating your post.

Yamaha has updated the procedure as well, since the Reference Manual was originally printed. They now suggest…
While holding the [STORE] button, press the [ENTER] button.

When successful, the MOXF’s display should indicate that Power on mode is stored. The next time the MOXF is turned on it should start in the mode set, with the selected Preset or User Program.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Sync the tempo from external synth?
Next Topic:

question about user sound slots in the moxf ››