mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Merging midifile + performance into song"

Posted on: April 01, 2017 @ 08:31 AM
John M.
Total Posts:  46
Joined  12-07-2008

Hello everyone!

I’m trying to achieve the following:

- playing 15 measures (intro) of Dancing on the ceiling on my Motif XS by starting a midifile
- Then I want to continue playing a performance (split layer = 4 parts).

I already succeeded to import the performance into the song, but it is not possible to use the performance in the right way.

At first the midifile also changed the sounds of the performance but by deleting program change event I solved this problem.

Remaining problem: Now the display is showing the correct soundnames but I can only hear 1 part of 4

Any suggestions?

Kind regards

John

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 01, 2017 @ 06:22 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

It’s not exactly clear to me what you’ve done, and what you want to do.

How many Parts are currently being used to play the Song sequence?

Are those Parts the same ones you want to play from the keyboard?

Please explain in more detail “I can only hear 1 part of 4”. Does that refer to playing the sequence, or using the keyboard?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 02, 2017 @ 05:26 AM
John M.
Joined  12-07-2008

@5pinDIN

Dear Mr. 5pinDIN,

Thank you for taking interest in my problem.

I’m including 2 pictures.

“Measure 1 Dancing” is showing the display after importing the performance “Power Section” into the song Dancing on the ceiling.

So the song is on tracks 1-6 and the performance is on 9-12. Before starting the sequencer is play the performance and same is sounding correctly (only track light 9 is on!) 2 sounds left and 2 sound right of keysplit. So far no problem.

“Measure 2 Dancing”

After starting the sequencer the sounds of the performance are changing in measure 2 apparently due to a program change command! The song is playing correctly but from the the performance only part 9 can be played and heard.

How is it possible to play the performance from picture 1 when the song is playing?

Image Attachments
Measure 2 Dancing.jpgMeasure 1 Dancing.jpg
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 02, 2017 @ 08:50 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

Was the file a General MIDI (GM) type? I suspect that’s the case, because in “Measure 2 Dancing” Parts 8, 9 & 11-16 are set to “Concert Grand” and Part 10 is set to “Stereo GM Kit”, which are defaults for GM. That suggests the file has a GM Reset command, typically found near the beginning of Track 1.

See http://www.motifator.com/index.php/support/view/a_short_tutorial_creating_proper_gm_files
It explains how to create a proper GM file, and you can use that information to help to look for and remove the GM Reset. The Song can be edited, using the Event List, and the GM Reset command can be deleted. You also might find using the View Filter helpful. See pages 192-194 of the XS Owner’s Manual for details.

Without a GM Reset, you may have to select the Voices for the sequenced Parts (1-7), and then STORE those changes.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 02, 2017 @ 02:29 PM
John M.
Joined  12-07-2008

Thank you so much for your advise!

It was indeed a GM Reset command that made it impossible to play the performance simultaneously with the midifile.

Problem solved, I’m more than happy.

[ Ignore ]