mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "MOTIF XS CC Help!"

Posted on: March 28, 2017 @ 12:04 PM
LeonRossMusic
Total Posts:  3
Joined  03-28-2017

Hello everyone!

I am new here but have owned the Motif XS for many years now.

So I’ve been trying to learn the limits of this amazing workstation and achieved many successes, but along the way I’ve experienced one very difficult issue I’m trying to see if possible to work around.

Basically I want to be able to re-route the 8 faders on the mixer to custom CC’s. For example, Fader 1 - CC1 (Modulation), Fader 2 - CC11 (Expression) etc. I’ve been reading up on the Master-Mode but haven’t had any success in this regarded subject, since to my understanding the Motif Master-Mode doesn’t allow this option.

I have however got the Motif to work with Cubase and Ableton via the Mackie Control Remote Preset, which has been a lifesaver for session navigation and playback. However I really would love to know if I can re-write the mixer info (even in the Device Manager maybe of Cubase) for CC controls.

Does anyone here know anything of this matter? I’ve been walking in the dark for so long that I’m at wits end with no conclusions. So any informative notes or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you all,

Leon

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 28, 2017 @ 12:46 PM
cmayhle
Total Posts:  3116
Joined  10-05-2011

In a post from maierj in This Thread:

Per using faders for cc messages:

“Actually you can, read page 257 in the operating manual. Go to MASTER mode and edit, first common edit, tab other and set knob assign to zone. Then go to each zone (1-8), tab Knobslider and you can assign both the 8 knobs and sliders to arbitrary MIDI cc.”

Note that meatballfulton states it will not work in Remote Mode.  Not sure if that is an issue for you, as you do not clearly state you wish to do this in Remote Mode.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 29, 2017 @ 07:21 AM
LeonRossMusic
Joined  03-28-2017

That will work just fine!

The main goal is to be capable of using CC info self contained within the one unit (as opposed to purchasing separate gear for the one function).

I’ll check out the manual now and see how to set it up.

Thank you for your fast reply.

Will let you know if I get it working :)

Thanks,

Leon

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 29, 2017 @ 08:36 AM
meatballfulton
Total Posts:  3022
Joined  01-25-2005

Hmm, weird examples...why put CC1 and CC11 on faders when you have the mod wheel and expression pedal available?

To do what you want you will have to switch in and out of Remote mode...in Remote mode the fader CC assignments won’t work, but outside of Remote mode they should.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 29, 2017 @ 11:25 AM
LeonRossMusic
Joined  03-28-2017

Sorry I should have given further examples besides Expression and Modulation.

Since I work in composition for film, quick and accessible controls are very important.
So how I would ideally set this up is to:
1) Have Mod - Fader 1
2) Expression - Fader 2
3) CC 75 - 78 (Any other CC’s for i.e. Kontakt Mixer Settings [close, far, surround]) - The rest of the faders would have different CCs, depending on the template setup.

Hope this makes sense.

I got to a point where Fader 5 was working to control the Close mic of Kontakt, but none of the others (including modulation CC1 and expression CC11) worked.

I followed the steps in the above message, and had a quick read of the manual, but it’s leading me to become even more confused.

Any help for this ideal setup would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 30, 2017 @ 02:50 PM
meatballfulton
Total Posts:  3022
Joined  01-25-2005

If you read the earlier reply about zones, each zone gets access to one and only one slider. To get access to all sliders set up eight zones that are all identical. Have you done that?

I’m curious what CC you used to control the Kontakt close mic parameter that you mentioned.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 03, 2017 @ 12:19 PM
Donald-M
Total Posts:  666
Joined  11-08-2007

I’m trying to do the exact same thing, but can’t seem to get this to work even after reading through this thread and the manual.  What I want to do is assign slider 1 to CC-11 - Expression, and then be able to record the MIDI data generated while I move the slider on to a MIDI track in Pro Tools.  I set the slider to CC-11 per the manual.  I have a MIDI track set and am receiving the MIDI signal from the Motif on the MIDI track...I can see the input indicator bounce when I move the slider when the track is record armed.  However, when I hit play to record..nothing I do is actually recorded on the CC-11 lane on the Pro Tools MIDI track. 

I can’t figure out why.  If I move the mod wheel, that data IS recorded in the proper lane on the MIDI track.  I tried other sliders and even the knobs...same result.  What am I missing? 

The Motif is my main MIDI controller connected via Firewire to my PC.  It all works just fine for most everything.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 03, 2017 @ 02:40 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

Control Change is a MIDI Channel message. If you’re sending CC#11, are you sure it’s being sent on the correct channel?

If you don’t already have MIDI-OX (http://www.midiox.com/) or a similar utility installed, I suggest you get it, and verify exactly what the XS is sending when the slider is operated.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 03, 2017 @ 05:16 PM
Donald-M
Total Posts:  666
Joined  11-08-2007
5pinDIN - 03 April 2017 02:40 PM

Control Change is a MIDI Channel message. If you’re sending CC#11, are you sure it’s being sent on the correct channel?

If you don’t already have MIDI-OX (http://www.midiox.com/) or a similar utility installed, I suggest you get it, and verify exactly what the XS is sending when the slider is operated.

NO that’s not it.  It turns out that if you want to assign a specific CC to any of the 8 knobs or sliders, once in Master Mode, you must first go to Common Edit, select “Other” and then set “Zone Switch” to ON and “Knob Control Assign” to “zone” Then you can go to the Zone Edit screen and select what CC you want each Knob and/or Slider to control.  The piece I was missing was setting the Zone switch on and then selecting “zone”.  Page 257 of manual explains it.  There’s a NOTE under the Knob and Slider Settings illustration that says to do that.  I didn’t understand what it was referring to at first.  But now it makes sense, and it does work.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 03, 2017 @ 06:04 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
Donald-M - 03 April 2017 05:16 PM
5pinDIN - 03 April 2017 02:40 PM

NO that’s not it.  It turns out that if you want to assign a specific CC to any of the 8 knobs or sliders, once in Master Mode, you must first go to Common Edit, select “Other” and then set “Zone Switch” to ON and “Knob Control Assign” to “zone” Then you can go to the Zone Edit screen and select what CC you want each Knob and/or Slider to control.  The piece I was missing was setting the Zone switch on and then selecting “zone”.  Page 257 of manual explains it.  There’s a NOTE under the Knob and Slider Settings illustration that says to do that.  I didn’t understand what it was referring to at first.  But now it makes sense, and it does work.

The second post in this thread, by cmayhle, already covered the necessity of turning Zones on, etc. Sorry for not repeating that information.

I suspected you weren’t sending a correct CC#11 message. That’s why I said “If you’re sending CC#11”, and why I suggested using MIDI-OX for verification.

Anyway, glad you figured out what you were doing wrong.

[ Ignore ]