mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Need your advice."

Posted on: March 22, 2017 @ 11:38 AM
alex1990
Total Posts:  9
Joined  03-26-2016

Hi guys.
I got my MOXF8. A great synth but way too heavy for gigs.
Now I’m considering other options.
I play with a band (sometimes without drummer) so I need a sequencer for drum’s part. 
Korg KROSS61 is not equipped with a real sequencer.
MOXF6 is too expensive.
I need to consider all the options cheaper than MOXF6 with a sequencer.
Thanks in advance for your advices.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 22, 2017 @ 12:03 PM
philwoodmusic
Total Posts:  1055
Joined  07-01-2013

Hi alex1990,

If you’re happy to go with a smaller keyboard, then how about picking up a used MOX6?

That’s only providing you aren’t reliant on any Motif XF sounds that are exclusive to the MOXF, or any sample libraries installed on your MOXF8’s flash (if you have flash). You’ll also only have 64 note polyphony instead of the MOXF8’s 128 note polyphony, too.

They’re pretty much the same board otherwise.

I consider the MOXF8 to be light for an 88 key keyboard, but I did drag around a Kurzweil PC88 and then a Yamaha S90ES for years. To quote a sinister MrMotif on heavy boards “they can feel a bit like dragging around a dead body.”

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 22, 2017 @ 02:38 PM
cmayhle
Total Posts:  3116
Joined  10-05-2011
philwoodmusic - 22 March 2017 12:03 PM

...To quote a sinister MrMotif on heavy boards “they can feel a bit like dragging around a dead body.”

And sometimes...depending on what you own...just about as enjoyable to play with.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 22, 2017 @ 10:45 PM
philwoodmusic
Joined  07-01-2013

My PC88 died recently and I suppose I could treat it like a beloved pet and bury it in the back garden. That would get the neighbourhood curtains twitching and the rumour mill in full flow.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 23, 2017 @ 03:18 PM
lastmonk
Total Posts:  364
Joined  12-17-2013

If you can get your hands on a Yamaha MM6, I believe its about 11 lbs and is advertised as a “mini motif”

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 24, 2017 @ 09:00 AM
alex1990
Total Posts:  9
Joined  03-26-2016

Thanks guys.MOX6 is my target now :)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 24, 2017 @ 09:55 AM
MrMotif
Total Posts:  1122
Joined  10-02-2002

Thanks, Phil, for reminding me of my observation about heavy keyboards! In turn that reminded me of a story I once heard about Rabbit Bundrick, the extraordinarily talented keyboard player from The Who: that he buried keyboards he no longer used in the backyard of his parents’ house in Houston.

In his heyday (and possibly still?) Rabbit was the epitome of rock n roll prowess, excess and mayheml Should anyone doubt this, do visit his website RabbitWho.com. Be warned though, Rabbit’s stories are not for the feint-hearted.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 24, 2017 @ 11:35 AM
philwoodmusic
Joined  07-01-2013

I had a read of Rabbit’s diaries.  In one particular story he was mugged a few times in one night in NY by different people, and he thoroughly enjoyed the experience.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ USB storage for Motif ES8
Next Topic:

Searching for perfect pad sounds for moxf ››