mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "New (to me) xf7.  How much flash do I need"

Posted on: March 20, 2017 @ 12:46 PM
briguy1950
Total Posts:  54
Joined  02-28-2009

Now on my 4th motif, one classic, a xs6 and xs8 and now a virtually unused xf 7.  Unfortunately no fw board and no flash memory.  But the price was right at $2000 Canadian (1500 USD) and I really like the 7 form for gigging. 

My question is about flash RAM.  Is 512 enough to load up a few samples and maybe do a bit of sequencing.  I’m not doing anything too complex like backing track or such.  Or will I kick myself for not going to 1 or two gig.  Its just quite a bit of money.  on my xs the biggest sample set I load up is only 67 MB for a couple of special pianos and a couple of wav files of synth sounds I could not make the motif do. 

Any feedback appreciated before i order up the flash

cheers

Brian

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 20, 2017 @ 01:18 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

The flash modules only store Sample/Waveform/WAV/AIF data, so sequencing has no impact on such memory.

Can your experience with the XS predict what you’ll eventually want to do with the XF? While there are a few advantages to the XF over the XS, in my opinion the optional flash modules may be the most useful of them. There are several sample libraries available for the XF, some of them at no charge from Yamaha, and they tend to be larger than the 128 MB size of the SDRAM.

You might find that a 512 MB module is sufficient for your needs. Since there are two slots in the XF, if that turned out to be insufficient, you could always get another 512 MB module, a 1 GB one, or even a 2 GB one, for the remaining slot.

Perhaps you should look at the size of sample libraries that might interest you before making any decision.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 20, 2017 @ 01:28 PM
briguy1950
Total Posts:  54
Joined  02-28-2009

Ahh, I did not realize those points and that is very useful info that there are two slots so I can mix and match as needs and budget allow.

Thanks much

B

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 21, 2017 @ 04:15 AM
dsetto
Total Posts:  435
Joined  01-24-2014
5pinDIN - 20 March 2017 01:18 PM

...Perhaps you should look at the size of sample libraries that might interest you before making any decision.

[ Ignore ]