mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Cubase 9 + Motif XS6 VST Editor/mLAN - - just a quick controler questions"

Page 1 of 2
Posted on: February 20, 2017 @ 06:27 PM
RADDTUNES
Total Posts:  163
Joined  05-09-2005

>>>SOLVED<<<<<

I use (heavily) My Motif xs6 with Cubase 9, all audio running through the mLAN Firewire line, and the Yamaha VST Editor.  All working well - -

I don’t seem to be able to assign any controlers (quick controls, Motif surface controlers, or any MIDI controlers) to EQ functions to the Motif via the VST Editor.

The EQ stuff works - - mouse edits are ok, but can’t figure out how to assign a controler. 

Any help appreciated - -thanks

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 21, 2017 @ 11:16 AM
meatballfulton
Total Posts:  3022
Joined  01-25-2005

Are you using Remote Mode? You can access the Cubase EQ directly from there as well as controls for any plugin. The parameters are premapped to the knobs.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 22, 2017 @ 11:34 AM
RADDTUNES
Joined  05-09-2005

Thanks for responding!  :-)

Answers:  Yes, and not applicable. 

Yes - I do use remote mode, and go in and out of it as I need.

My question is about controling EQ parameters of the MOTIF - - not the CUBASE EQ. 

Here’s the problem again: 

“I don’t seem to be able to assign any controlers (quick controls, Motif surface controlers, or any MIDI controlers) to EQ functions to the Motif via the VST Editor.”

From what I can tell, the EQ settings in the VST Editor are not addressable via MIDI.  I’m trying to find out if this is true…

Any help will be appreciated.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 23, 2017 @ 05:00 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

Since I don’t use Cubase, I’m not sure how useful the following will be…

My XF6 has an FW16E interface, my XS6 is connected via USB (no mLAN, I have an FW16E for it, but not currently installed). Running the Yamaha Editor (XS or XF) standalone (not VST), after syncing in Song mode the Tone 2 controls on the Motif communicate properly with the Editor. That is, turning knobs 1 through 5 adjusts the EQ parameters in the Editor - the Editor display shows the rotation and value changes.

What happens if you run the Editor standalone?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 23, 2017 @ 04:10 PM
RADDTUNES
Joined  05-09-2005

Mr. 5pD- gRADDittude to you :-)

You’re addressing my exact conundrum . . . it’s that row of “tone 2” controls in Song mode when using the VST in Cubase. 

Please know this for sure - - the other knobs in that row work.  Weird.  Just not the EQ

I’m going to launch the standalone, give it a try, A/B again with Cubase 9 and also 8.5 and report back.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 23, 2017 @ 05:56 PM
RADDTUNES
Joined  05-09-2005
5pinDIN - 23 February 2017 05:00 AM

after syncing in Song mode the Tone 2 controls on the Motif communicate properly with the Editor. That is, turning knobs 1 through 5 adjusts the EQ parameters in the Editor - the Editor display shows the rotation and value changes.

What happens if YOU run the Editor standalone?

I got your precise results in standalone version - the EQ parameters all respond in the editor just as you describe, and just as they should.

I do NOT get the same results in the VST version, when running in Cubase 9.01. 

Are you curious about this (and I completely understand if you’re not LOL) - - then if there is the slightest chance you could open up your editor in a DAW - -any DAW - - and see what happens with the VST version and share.. well, I’d owe you.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 23, 2017 @ 11:58 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

Well, we’re back to “I’m not sure how useful the following will be...”

Against my (perhaps) better judgment, I installed Cubase AI5 on the computer that’s interfaced to my XF. It’s running Windows XP Pro with Service Pack 3, Yamaha Editor version 1.6.4 for Windows, and I also installed version 1.1.1 of the XF Extensions for Windows.

After setting up AI5, I ran the XF Editor VST. I selected TONE 2, and determined that the XF’s EQ knobs again communicated properly with the Editor - rotation, value, and EQ curve changes all were properly displayed.

Of course, that doesn’t tell you what might happen with an XS. Sorry, but it isn’t convenient for me to do what you asked with my XS - it’s in another room, the computer there doesn’t have a DAW that’s VST3 compatible, and the optical drive doesn’t read DVDs, so no AI5.

Hopefully someone else will check using an XS, and let us know if the TONE 2 knobs for EQ work with the Editor VST.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 24, 2017 @ 01:44 AM
RADDTUNES
Joined  05-09-2005

Wow - - well i really really appreciate your help.  Something is goofy here, but we’ll figure it out.  Thanks!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 24, 2017 @ 10:45 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
RADDTUNES - 24 February 2017 01:44 AM

Wow - - well i really really appreciate your help.  Something is goofy here, but we’ll figure it out.  Thanks!

You’re welcome.

I went a step further - I attached an external DVD drive to the computer I use with my XS, and (temporarily) installed Cubase AI5 plus XS Extensions. With USB connection, the TONE 2 EQ knobs functioned correctly with the XS Editor VST. Since I don’t currently have FireWire set up for the XS, I couldn’t check that operation, but I don’t have any reason to expect that it wouldn’t also work correctly.

The problem you’re having might be an issue with the version of Cubase you’re using. I’d suggest posting at the Steinberg Cubase forums and see if they can help:
https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewforum.php?f=202

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 24, 2017 @ 05:09 PM
RADDTUNES
Joined  05-09-2005

Will do. 

Thank you again for the effort and the response. 

May I pick your brain on one last thing:

I can confirm that when any other of the knobs operate, there is an indication of MIDI activity in the MIDI track.  There is no such indication with the EQ knobs. 

Does this tend to make the Editor, or Cubase the culprit, or is that not knowable?

Since my standalone version works - - that should eliminate the physical keyboard as the culprit yes? 

Ok - that’s two things. LOL

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 24, 2017 @ 07:56 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
RADDTUNES - 24 February 2017 05:09 PM

Will do. 

Thank you again for the effort and the response.

You’re welcome, again.

RADDTUNES -

May I pick your brain on one last thing:

I can confirm that when any other of the knobs operate, there is an indication of MIDI activity in the MIDI track.  There is no such indication with the EQ knobs. 

Does this tend to make the Editor, or Cubase the culprit, or is that not knowable?

I’m thinking it’s a Cubase 9 issue, since I’m not experiencing a problem using the XS Editor VST under AI5, at least with a USB connection. You could check with USB yourself, and see if it behaves any better than with mLAN/FW (although I doubt it will). I’m using the XS Standalone/VST Editor version 1.6.3, but the most recent is 1.6.4, so there’s a slight possibility something is amiss with the Editor when used as VST if you’re using the later version. I’m more inclined to believe that somehow Cubase is either filtering out the EQ-related MIDI or just ignoring it.

RADDTUNES -

Since my standalone version works - - that should eliminate the physical keyboard as the culprit yes?

Agreed - the XS is sending the messages, and doesn’t know or care what application is on the receiving end. If things work correctly with one program but not another, the XS is blameless.

RADDTUNES -

Ok - that’s two things. LOL

I’ll let you get away with it this time.  ;-)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 25, 2017 @ 04:45 PM
RADDTUNES
Joined  05-09-2005

And I’m going to push my luck some more, and ask you kind assistance in working this problem from a different angle . . .

Are these EQ settings in the VST editor addressable via MIDI?  I do have other MIDI-USB controllers at my disposal.

I wouldn’t ask you to install or reintall Cubase, but if you did find this capability in your Standalone version and care to share, I’d again be thankful. . Thanks

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 25, 2017 @ 06:12 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
RADDTUNES - 25 February 2017 04:45 PM

[...] Are these EQ settings in the VST editor addressable via MIDI?  I do have other MIDI-USB controllers at my disposal.

The EQ settings can be changed via SysEx messages sent to the XS, and the result would be reflected in the VST Editor display. SeaGtGruff (Michael Rideout) provided the basics in your KC thread, and I could provide some more details - but first…

RADDTUNES -

I wouldn’t ask you to install or reintall Cubase, but if you did find this capability in your Standalone version and care to share, I’d again be thankful. . Thanks

Why not use the Editor standalone? You should be able to run Cubase simultaneously with it. At least with Cubase AI5, I can start Cubase, then start the Editor standalone, and it overlays the Cubase display just like the Editor VST. Am I missing something?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 26, 2017 @ 10:51 PM
RADDTUNES
Joined  05-09-2005

The main reason I wouldn’t care to use the editor as standalone as this wouldn’t allow for the audio integration in Cubase, which I do use extensively. 

In fact, this out-weighs my need for physical control of the EQ parameters —I really make use of routing voices to different group channels in Cubase.

This was one of the strongest features of the VST Editor (IMO) . . yet I’m getting the feeling that it never caught on.  In fact - -of the three forums in which I participate, I’ve had not ONE other user chime in that they use this setup to the extent I do.  Oh well LOL!!! 

I really appreciate the SysEx solution offered, although it’s a little to involved for me.  As things have progressed, this VST editor stuff is probably on the way out.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but there isn’t a VST Editor for the Montage, or any announcement that there will be one.  Oh well.

If you have any parting thoughts on this issue, or any tangents you wish to share, please do.  You’ve been a tremendous help.  - Pete Radd

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 27, 2017 @ 12:00 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
RADDTUNES - 26 February 2017 10:51 PM

The main reason I wouldn’t care to use the editor as standalone as this wouldn’t allow for the audio integration in Cubase, which I do use extensively. 

In fact, this out-weighs my need for physical control of the EQ parameters —I really make use of routing voices to different group channels in Cubase.

I do get what you’re saying. I don’t normally use Cubase, and as far as I know it’s the only DAW with that integration capability - it’s not surprising that it does, considering the Yamaha/Steinberg relationship.

RADDTUNES -

This was one of the strongest features of the VST Editor (IMO) . . yet I’m getting the feeling that it never caught on.  In fact - -of the three forums in which I participate, I’ve had not ONE other user chime in that they use this setup to the extent I do.  Oh well LOL!!!

Have you tried running Cubase with the Editor VST - then starting the Editor standalone as well, if only using it to make the EQ settings? I had read someplace that you couldn’t run the VST and standalone simultaneously, but I seem to be able to do it, at least with my computer setup and software versions I’ve previously described.

RADDTUNES -

I really appreciate the SysEx solution offered, although it’s a little to involved for me.  As things have progressed, this VST editor stuff is probably on the way out.

OK. The SysEx approach may be more trouble than it’s worth for your purposes.

RADDTUNES -

Correct me if I’m wrong, but there isn’t a VST Editor for the Montage, or any announcement that there will be one.  Oh well.

I’m unaware of a VST Editor for Montage. Unlike with Motifs, apparently the Montage doesn’t even have any dedicated DAW control interface - everything has to be done with a mouse at the computer, and it seems some Montage owners were surprised by that.

RADDTUNES -

If you have any parting thoughts on this issue, or any tangents you wish to share, please do.  You’ve been a tremendous help.  - Pete Radd

I’m glad I was able to provide some useful information.

Have you asked Steinberg why you can’t control the XS EQs when using Cubase 9 with the Editor VST? It appears that the Yamaha/Steinberg connection they seem so proud of is a bit lacking in this case.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 28, 2017 @ 01:46 AM
RADDTUNES
Joined  05-09-2005

Eh . . I’ve chased this as far as I think it can go, unless I can get Bad Mister to chime in on yamahasynth.  Is he on vacation?

[ Ignore ]  

Page 1 of 2

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Using Two Separate Audio Input Devices Cubase AI8
Next Topic:

Tempo Matching Audio ››