mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Bag or Case for MOXF 8?"

Posted on: February 11, 2017 @ 08:25 PM
min3008
Total Posts:  129
Joined  12-08-2012

Hi all

I’ve decided to purchase a MOXF 8. After reading reviews about the MOXF 8 case, I’ve noticed a number of comments made about how the case is too tight and it’s difficult to get the keyboard in. Apparently the handles are not in a good spot and there is no pull out handle on the end to wheel it along like a luggage bag? I’ve also read about zippers breaking.

Is anyone using a bag or case for this they would recommend? I’d prefer something light, not a heavy flight case.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 13, 2017 @ 12:54 PM
philwoodmusic
Total Posts:  1055
Joined  07-01-2013

I have an official Yamaha soft bag and I’ve had no problems with it in terms of fit or the zippers breaking, but I am careful.  I don’t pull on the zippers very hard and I make sure that only I handle my gear.

Once inside the bag, my board always ends up on top of a pile of gear as opposed to under other items.

If you get a hard case, you’re adding quite a bit more weight to a keyboard which is renowned for its light weight. At the same time, you’d be adding a lot more protection, which is good, and the possibility of wheels, which is always good.

I doubt you’d be doing many gigs in a freshly plowed field, but you won’t always be able to use the wheels.

Hard cases aren’t exactly bomb proof either, so I think it’s about deciding on being more careful with a soft bag, or not minding the extra weight with a hard case.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 13, 2017 @ 02:52 PM
MrMotif
Total Posts:  1122
Joined  10-02-2002

I think Philwoodmusic might have meant to say the XF8 is ‘not’ renowned for its light weight (or perhaps he just was being ironic). The XF8 weighs 63lbs and, in or out of a hard case frankly, can feel a bit like dragging around a dead body. Phil’s recommendation makes sense though. A soft case will certainly be more manageable and should suffice provided you treat the whole package with care and sense. Also, provided you are not planning on copious gigging with it.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 13, 2017 @ 03:27 PM
philwoodmusic
Total Posts:  1055
Joined  07-01-2013
MrMotif - 13 February 2017 02:52 PM

I think Philwoodmusic might have meant to say the XF8 is ‘not’ renowned for its light weight (or perhaps he just was being ironic).

It’s a thread about a MOXF 8, Mr Quick Draw :-)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 13, 2017 @ 04:21 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

The MOXF8 weighs 14.9 kg, or about 32.85 pounds. I’d consider that to be quite reasonable for a model with 88-key Graded Hammer action.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 13, 2017 @ 07:18 PM
min3008
Joined  12-08-2012

Thank you all for your thoughts.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 19, 2017 @ 11:00 PM
Aggie Piano
Total Posts:  22
Joined  01-10-2015

I’ve had my MOXF8 for a little over a year now and purchased the Yamaha soft case at the same time.  I’ve used it almost every weekend for the year without problems...easy to carry or wheel at 32 pounds.  The fit is good once I learned to cup the corners with my hand when fitting the keyboard in the case.  Zipper is holding up.  MUCH better fit than the soft case I had for my S80.  I would not, however, trust the keyboard in a band trailer in a soft case.  I had my 63 pound S80 in a full road case that weight 80 pounds and it was a monster to haul but protected it like a vault in the trailer.  My MOXF8 sounds better than the S80 at half the weight and still has a great keyboard feel.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 03, 2017 @ 04:56 AM
min3008
Joined  12-08-2012

Thanks all. I ended up purchasing the official moxf8 case and am happy with that decision.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 13, 2020 @ 09:47 AM
Aarts
Total Posts:  14
Joined  07-18-2013

I added a flight case handle at the top and now it’s a nice case to move around.

How did I do this? I bought a Penn Elcom H1053K handle and I made a steel plate of 30x100x6 mm in wich I drilled the holes corresponding to the holes of the handle. Then I made a small notch in the lining on the inside of the case, and I slid the steel plate in. Then I pierced the black fabric from the outside and put 5 rivets in the handle with the pop rivet tool. It cost me a total of 15 euros, which is in any case much less than the 199 euros for a Stagg KTC-138D

[ Ignore ]