mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Motif 6 Classic Outputs don’t work together anymore"

Posted on: December 07, 2016 @ 06:43 PM
Tjenkins76
Total Posts:  4
Joined  12-07-2016

I own the Motif XS7 but my first board was the Motif Classic 6. I have not played the classic in a while it has been kept in a case. I am now playing for a band and can use a second board so I pulled out the classic and started tinkering with it. I notice that my my outputs do not play together. When I test them individually they work but when they both are plugged in only the right output channel works. Any ideas on what may be causing this and how do I fix it?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 07, 2016 @ 07:49 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

Welcome to the forum.

With a plug in both R and L/MONO jacks, R should produce the right channel signal, L/MONO should produce the left. When no plug is inserted in the R jack, the L/MONO output is normally a mix of left and right channels. From your description, it seems that the left channel line output is dead, so that when you separately test the L/MONO output, you’re actually getting just the right channel.

Can both channels be heard on headphones plugged into the PHONES jack?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 07, 2016 @ 08:13 PM
Tjenkins76
Joined  12-07-2016
5pinDIN - 07 December 2016 07:49 PM

Welcome to the forum.

With a plug in both R and L/MONO jacks, R should produce the right channel signal, L/MONO should produce the left. When no plug is inserted in the R jack, the L/MONO output is normally a mix of left and right channels. From your description, it seems that the left channel line output is dead, so that when you separately test the L/MONO output, you’re actually getting just the right channel.

This is strange with headphones in the headphone jack both channels play. With headphones in either the right or the left jack, only the right ear of my headphones play. Does that mean my left mono channel is dead?  What else is strange if you take a look at the picture with the left jack cable all the way and the right just in a little bit both channels play.  See attachment

Image Attachments
sMotif Cable.jpg
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 07, 2016 @ 08:40 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
Tjenkins76 - 07 December 2016 08:13 PM

This is strange with headphones in the headphone jack both channels play. With headphones in either the right or the left jack, only the right ear of my headphones play. Does that mean my left mono channel is dead?

It means that the left line output amp isn’t functioning. It could be a failure of the op-amp, an open output coupling capacitor, a shorted muting transistor, or possibly another defective component in that circuit.

That could be repaired, or…

Since headphones work on both channels, you could use the PHONES output by getting a TRS-male to two-TS-female breakout cable such as https://www.amazon.com/Hosa-YPP-117-Stereo-Breakout-Cable/dp/B000068O54

The headphones working on only one side when plugged into the line outputs is normal, since those jacks are TS type and only the Tip and Sleeve (but not the Ring) of the headphone plug will make contact.

Tjenkins76 -

What else is strange if you take a look at the picture with the left jack cable all the way and the right just in a little bit both channels play.  See attachment

There’s nothing strange about it. The R jack has switching contacts built in. If you don’t push the plug all the way in, the switch isn’t opened and the right channel signal will still be connected to the L/MONO jack. Both channels don’t play that way, you’re getting the right channel out of both jacks. Try panning the output and you’ll see what I mean.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 07, 2016 @ 09:04 PM
Tjenkins76
Joined  12-07-2016
5pinDIN - 07 December 2016 08:40 PM
Tjenkins76 - 07 December 2016 08:13 PM

This is strange with headphones in the headphone jack both channels play. With headphones in either the right or the left jack, only the right ear of my headphones play. Does that mean my left mono channel is dead?

It means that the left line output amp isn’t functioning. It could be a failure of the op-amp, an open output coupling capacitor, a shorted muting transistor, or possibly another defective component in that circuit.

That could be repaired, or…

Since headphones work on both channels, you could use the PHONES output by getting a TRS-male to two-TS-female breakout cable such as https://www.amazon.com/Hosa-YPP-117-Stereo-Breakout-Cable/dp/B000068O54

The headphones working on only one side when plugged into the line outputs is normal, since those jacks are TS type and only the Tip and Sleeve (but not the Ring) of the headphone plug will make contact.

Tjenkins76 -

What else is strange if you take a look at the picture with the left jack cable all the way and the right just in a little bit both channels play.  See attachment

There’s nothing strange about it. The R jack has switching contacts built in. If you don’t push the plug all the way in, the switch isn’t opened and the right channel signal will still be connected to the L/MONO jack. Both channels don’t play that way, you’re getting the right channel out of both jacks. Try panning the output and you’ll see what I mean.

If I wanted to research getting it fixed as an option how would I go about finding a shop that does that kind of work?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 07, 2016 @ 09:15 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
Tjenkins76 - 07 December 2016 09:04 PM

If I wanted to research getting it fixed as an option how would I go about finding a shop that does that kind of work?

Where are you located?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 07, 2016 @ 09:48 PM
Tjenkins76
Joined  12-07-2016
5pinDIN - 07 December 2016 09:15 PM
Tjenkins76 - 07 December 2016 09:04 PM

Where are you located?

North Virginia

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 07, 2016 @ 10:11 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

Yamaha authorized service in the US:
http://usa.yamaha.com/dealers/service_locator/

There are good keyboard technicians who aren’t necessarily authorized by Yamaha, but I don’t know any in your area. You might want to ask bandmates.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 01, 2017 @ 05:25 AM
elka44@teletu.it
Total Posts:  3
Joined  01-30-2017

the same thing happen on my keyboard ................ I opened it and saw the two inflated capacitors card. that is not the problem ...........? I try tomorrow and I will let you know ....

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 19, 2022 @ 07:59 AM
jazzkeys818
Total Posts:  2
Joined  04-19-2022
5pinDIN - 07 December 2016 07:49 PM

Welcome to the forum.

hi i have the same problem..any updats on what this is?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 06, 2022 @ 11:17 AM
Wellie
Total Posts:  6215
Joined  05-09-2003

Keyboards get old like the rest of us.

Frequently, dirty contacts can mess with our pristine musical world. However, it is likely your boards may need some TLC from an electronics engineer. Caps (capacitors) leaking is a well know issue in Rolands of a certain era. Whilst one would hope that the Motif is not susceptible, it isn’t impossible. The caps are inexpensive but getting someone to spot the problematic ones and brandish the soldering iron, is likely to pricey.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Broken keys/cleaning keyboard /restoration
Next Topic:

Motif 6 Won’t boot up. ››