mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Expression pedal also controls volume"

Posted on: November 12, 2016 @ 09:04 AM
Giskebab
Total Posts:  5
Joined  01-17-2009

Hey all,

little bit stuck here
wondering if somebody could help me.
I´m using my Motif XS8 with Omnishpere 2
I´ve hooked up an expression pedal to Foot Controller 1 on the XS8 and it does control the expression pedal option in Omnisphere but it also controls the volume of the patch.
Any ideas how I can get rid of the volume control with the expression pedal? I just want it to control purely the expression pedal control.

Thanks!!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 12, 2016 @ 09:57 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

MIDI Expression {CC#11} is a controller of volume level, that’s normal operation. It’s unclear from your post (at least to me) whether you want to prevent volume control of an internal Voice in the XS, or that of an Omnisphere patch. If in the XS, what mode is it in?

If it’s Omnisphere control you’re concerned with, directing what CC#11 does there would be determined by a setting within Omnisphere, having nothing to do with the XS.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 13, 2017 @ 02:01 AM
cbiern
Total Posts:  6
Joined  02-21-2012

I have this same issue on the Motif ES7 into Mainstage 3.
The midi monitor in Mainstage shows CC11 is sent from the ES7 when the expression pedal 1 is used and the expression dial on the channel strip is operated as my volume changes. The Channel strip volume slider must be at full for this to happen but does not move.
CC7 is the volume and when the expression pedal is operated through my Alesis Q88 the volume slider in Mainstage 3 is moved and the volume changes.
If I map the volume slider on the Q88 to CC11 instead of CC7 it now operates the expression knob on the channel strip but the volume does not change.
Could the ES7 sending both CC11 and CC7 at the same time by default? The manual states that it can send up to 6 messages simultaneously. I remember having a midi application book separate from the manual (though it could have been only with the Korg Trinity) but I can’t find it.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 13, 2017 @ 09:12 AM
meatballfulton
Total Posts:  3022
Joined  01-25-2005

You cannot assign multiple CCs to any controller on the the Motif (pedals, wheels, ribbons, knobs). There is no way for it to send CC#7 and #11 simultaneously from a single controller.

Does the MIDI monitor in Mainstage show incoming CC#7 from your ES as well as CC#11?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 16, 2017 @ 02:08 AM
cbiern
Joined  02-21-2012

The midi monitor reports only CC11 from the Yamaha and only CC7 from the Alesis.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 16, 2017 @ 12:35 PM
meatballfulton
Total Posts:  3022
Joined  01-25-2005

So the ES is working exactly as expected.

You wrote that using CC11 from the Alesis makes Mainstage act differently but it should behave exactly the same as using the ES. Mainstage is seeing only CC11 in both cases.

You have some sort of cockpit error here but I’m afraid I can’t help you any further.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 16, 2017 @ 02:36 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
cbiern - 13 January 2017 02:01 AM

I have this same issue on the Motif ES7 into Mainstage 3.
The midi monitor in Mainstage shows CC11 is sent from the ES7 when the expression pedal 1 is used and the expression dial on the channel strip is operated as my volume changes. The Channel strip volume slider must be at full for this to happen but does not move. [...]

CC#7 controls MIDI Channel Volume, 0~127. CC#11 also controls Volume, but at CC#11’s maximum value Volume is limited to that set by CC#7/Volume. Therefore, if CC#7/Volume is at maximum (127), then the range of CC#11 can control the full possible Volume range, 0~127.

Depending on features of the software, CC#11 can be mapped to control other than Volume. I don’t use MainStage, but you might find this article helpful in configuring what CC#11 does:
https://ask.audio/articles/using-an-expression-pedal-with-mainstage

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 01, 2017 @ 01:07 AM
cbiern
Joined  02-21-2012

So ultimately the “expression” pedal on the Alesis is not properly outputting CC11 (Expression) but CC7 (track volume). While it accomplishes the volume control I’m after Alesis seems to have taken liberties in the way they do it. Odd that remapping to conform with CC11 won’t work. Whadda ya want for $200.00?

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Motif to UAD Apollo twin
Next Topic:

Connecting XS to my imac ››