mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Set List Maker App"

Page 1 of 3
Posted on: January 23, 2017 @ 09:36 PM
pianoman58
Total Posts:  36
Joined  03-03-2013

greetings, can any of you that are using this app By Arlomedia or familiar with it tell me do you have to send Sys ex command or is msb/ lsb pc all I should need.  I have looked at the data list but I have not used Sys ex or HEX and do not really understand it. I’m having trouble getting this up and running. When I send the msb/lsb pc command it shows the correct bank and program NUMBER on the screen of the S 90.  But it displays the name INITIALIZED performance on the screen and is not the actual user preset that I have saved in that location.  In other words you hear the initialized Natural Grand S6. Any help much appreciated.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 24, 2017 @ 02:00 AM
stoneb3
Total Posts:  851
Joined  06-05-2011
pianoman58 - 23 January 2017 09:36 PM

greetings, can any of you that are using this app By Arlomedia or familiar with it tell me do you have to send Sys ex command or is msb/ lsb pc all I should need.  I have looked at the data list but I have not used Sys ex or HEX and do not really understand it. I’m having trouble getting this up and running. When I send the msb/lsb pc command it shows the correct bank and program NUMBER on the screen of the S 90.  But it displays the name INITIALIZED performance on the screen and is not the actual user preset that I have saved in that location.  In other words you hear the initialized Natural Grand S6. Any help much appreciated.

I believe this is in regard to the S90XS, and it depends on how you’d like to use the App.

With Motifs you would need to send a Sysex String to change Modes. If you wish to enter Master Mode from Voice Mode for example, you would need to send one string to change Modes, and another to select the Master Location. The newer versions of the App have the ability to send multiple strings with a delay function using only one Midi Preset. Once you’re in Master Mode subsequent Locations in that Mode can be addressed with one string. Master Mode does not respond to MSB/LSB messages. If you wish to leave Master Mode for another Mode let’s say Performance, then you’d need to send a Sysex message to achieve that. At that point you can use MSB/LSB to address different programs in that (Performance) Mode. I mention much of this due to reviewing your previous post regarding Master Mode and controlling external devices. You may or may not find that you need Master Mode depending on your needs as the App can control many devices at once.

To ensure your App is working properly you may wish to create and try these Midi Presets in the App. Note you must be in the proper Mode for them to work.

MSB LSB PROGRAM
63 8 0 -127 (0) Addresses User 1 001 in Voice Mode
63 64 0 -127 (0) Addresses Performance 1 001 in Performance Mode
63 68 0 -127 (0) Addresses Multi 001 in Multi Mode

and so forth. This is from page 102 of the S90XS Data List.

In short the App can be as simple or complex as you need it to be. It has all the tools. Personally, I stay out of Sysex land if I can. I don’t need it, others may.

Of all the money I’ve ever spent on gear, this has been my biggest bang for the buck hands down. I can reorder a set list on stage with no computer, no file loading, in seconds. It can be a bit of work to set up but once you’re done you’ll laugh at how simple it is.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 24, 2017 @ 02:55 AM
pianoman58
Joined  03-03-2013

Stone b3 thanks for responding. I came across some of your posts during research and I see that you are very experienced with this app. 

Yes s90xs, and I have the latest version of the app.  I would like to be able to switch between Performance and Master because as you noticed I do use Master mode for program change to a second keyboard and to a couple of harmonizer devices .  I do want to keep the Master mode controlling this because I already have it set up that way and also in case I could not use the app, for whatever reason.  Anyway I will have to learn how to send the sys ex in the hopefully near future. 

PROBLEM
Right now I can’t even get it to work within one mode , say performance mode.  When I send midi as in your example 63/66 34 this should give me bank 3 , preset 34.  On the display of s90 it shows the correct bank and program number that was sent via midi, however it displays the name INITIALIZEDPERF indicating that the performance that I had saved to that location is not actually there.  Even though it says bank 3 program 34.  This is why I was wondering if sys ex had to be sent with every midi command.

I know my midi connections are good because I also have the Yamaha Set Organizer app and it works fine. It just has limitations you are probably aware of. That’s the reason I want to use new app.

I want to create a master list of songs with midi send commands attached to each song. From that I want to make sub lists (I believe that would be SHOWS in this app) for each of the different bands that I play with.  Should be fairly simple I would think.

Thanks for your help

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 24, 2017 @ 10:23 AM
pianoman58
Joined  03-03-2013

I should mention I am using iConnectmidi 4+

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 24, 2017 @ 01:57 PM
stoneb3
Joined  06-05-2011
pianoman58 - 24 January 2017 02:55 AM

This is why I was wondering if sys ex had to be sent with every midi command.

No, if you’re staying in one Mode, to change programs you can send MSB/LSB/0-127. It appears as though you may be sending Sysex at the same time. Create and name a Midi Preset sending 63/66/34 and make sure that the Hex Code field below that is empty. Attach the Midi Preset to a Song and send it, while in Performance Mode.

It would be good to connect the iConnect to the XS without other gear attached for the time being.

Could you explain your connections between the iConnect, the App, and the XS?  We may wish to review settings in both the App and XS. And you’re using the iOS version of the App?
Removing all other gear at this point may help ensure that you don’t have a Midi loop in the chain causing interference.

As you’ve explained, your intended use of the App should be fairly easy once it’s up and running.

Stone

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 24, 2017 @ 09:20 PM
pianoman58
Joined  03-03-2013
stoneb3 - 24 January 2017 01:57 PM
pianoman58 - 24 January 2017 02:55 AM

This is why I was wondering if sys ex had to be sent with every midi command.

No, if you’re staying in one Mode, to change programs you can send MSB/LSB/0-127.

I have been communicating with Arlo the developer.  He wanted me to find out this information so clearly you do not have to send Sysex to operate within the same mode.. Only need to send Sysex to change modes. I have informed them of this.  They are not familiar with Yamaha keyboards and they are stuck for an answer. I also sent him troubleshooting info so he should be able to tell me if I have my settings correct and the app.

It appears as though you may be sending Sysex at the same time. Create and name a Midi Preset sending 63/66/34 and make sure that the Hex Code field below that is empty. Attach the Midi Preset to a Song and send it, while in Performance Mode.

Ok I have done this.  Hex code field below is empty. Same results. Have noticed that it is actually only changing the PROGRAM number Not the BANK number

It would be good to connect the iConnect to the XS without other gear attached for the time being.

I did not have any other gear attached.

Could you explain your connections between the iConnect, the App, and the XS?  We may wish to review settings in both the App and XS. And you’re using the iOS version of the App?
Removing all other gear at this point may help ensure that you don’t have a Midi loop in the chain causing interference.

I have iPad 8.3 connected via lightening cable into iConnectmidi. Midi out to midi in of S90.  MIDI out from s90 to midi in iConnectmidi.  I have also tried using only the midi out to the midi in of the keyboard. Same results

As you’ve explained, your intended use of the App should be fairly easy once it’s up and running.

Stone

I may try to do a factory reset on the app and just start over I am about ready to give up.  Thanks for trying to help me

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 25, 2017 @ 01:36 AM
stoneb3
Joined  06-05-2011

You’re welcome.

Don’t dismay, it’s foreign at the moment but easy once you know how. If you’d like to bail I’d respect that, if not this is how I’d proceed:

No need to trash the App, just create a new Database. Name it and scroll back (skip continue). You should be back at the Database screen. Select the newly named Database. Scroll to Settings tap Audio & Midi, tap Send Midi Presets Together. Scroll back to Settings, tap Midi Devices. Tap + adding and naming a New Midi Device, S90XS.  Port should be set to all, Channel Number should match your S90XS Basic Receive Channel. Scroll back to your named Database Screen, tap Midi Presets. Tap +, name and add a New Midi Preset. Scroll down to Program Changes and to the right of S90XS enter your data in the three blank fields. I believe previously you entered 63/66/34. Do not enter anything in the Raw Midi Field or below. Scroll back to Midi Presets, note the 5pinDin icon to the right of the Preset name, tapping this will send the command. For now, take a break from the App.

With the S90XS enter Utility Mode and confirm your Basic Receive Channel matches the App, Interface is set to Midi and Bank Select/ Program Change are set to on. If you make any changes press Store to retain them. Exit Utility and enter Performance mode.

I do not have an iConnectmidi4+ but took a quick look at the manual. This seems to be a fairly “robust” unit. I gather you have or can configure it to connect to your App Device, and the S90XS via a standard Midi cable.  At this point I’d have only the Keyboard, iConnect and App Device hooked together. With one Midi cable, no return, no other gear.

Send the command from the App, pray tell it will work.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 25, 2017 @ 03:11 AM
pianoman58
Joined  03-03-2013

Ok that sounds like a good plan. I will follow your instructions exactly.  It will probably be Friday before I can get back to it. But I will definitely let you know.  I use the iConnect 4 because it also acts as a midi patch bay allowing me to send midi to other devices.  But I won’t hook up anything else to it until I get the app working. As I mentioned before the Yamaha Set list app works fine with this configuration so I’m confident of the connections. Thanks for hanging in there with me.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 25, 2017 @ 10:43 AM
pianoman58
Joined  03-03-2013

Here is The reply I received from Arlo media
.......your keyboard is filling the MIDI log with status messages (F8), so you can either turn that off on the keyboard, or unplug the MIDI Out cable from the keyboard, so you can more easily find the log of the messages you’re sending out.

I am not really sure what F8 is , Or how to turn it off .  Raw midi, Hex ?  I will have to look into that .  I am going to try set up you suggested.  Although that is the way I started out in the very beginning trying to use this program, One midi cord out from iPad and entering MIDI data manually.  NO midi out cable from keyboard. The only difference is I do not remember activating SEND MIDI PRESETS TOGETHER.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 25, 2017 @ 01:47 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

F8 is MIDI clock.

See:
http://www.personal.kent.edu/~sbirch/Music_Production/MP-II/MIDI/midi_system_real.htm
--- and ---
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/archive/viewthread/386713/

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 26, 2017 @ 12:15 AM
stoneb3
Joined  06-05-2011
pianoman58 - 25 January 2017 10:43 AM

The only difference is I do not remember activating SEND MIDI PRESETS TOGETHER.

Yes, in the future this will allow sending the Data in order with a very slight delay so your XS doesn’t wig out.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 26, 2017 @ 12:45 AM
stoneb3
Joined  06-05-2011
5pinDIN - 25 January 2017 01:47 PM

F8 is MIDI clock.

See:
http://www.personal.kent.edu/~sbirch/Music_Production/MP-II/MIDI/midi_system_real.htm
--- and ---
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/archive/viewthread/386713/

Interesting read. I gather if he turns off the clock then the source of this misery may be revealed in his Midi log.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 26, 2017 @ 12:53 AM
pianoman58
Joined  03-03-2013

Ok I got everything set up tonight just as you described. Confirmed midi settings in s90xs. Turned off midi clock (thanks 5Pin ) saved settings.  Set up a new database made all the settings Exactly to your instructions.  In Performance Mode. Sent midi 63/66/34. Unfortunately same results. Did not change banks within performance mode only changed program to 34. Still says Initialized performance .  This is a real head scratcher.  I am sending the correct Midi command right??  I got this from the midi data list.  And use this midi number successfully with the Yamaha app.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 26, 2017 @ 01:36 AM
stoneb3
Joined  06-05-2011

Close the App then relaunch it. Select the Database>Midi Presets. Tap the Midi Icon to the right of the Preset to send the data. Tap the Midi Icon at the top of the screen to display the Midi Log. What message is displayed to the right of sending message?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 26, 2017 @ 01:49 AM
pianoman58
Joined  03-03-2013

Sending data B0 00 3E B0 20 41 C0 21 To all ports

Just to make sure there’s no problem with iConnectmidi , I used a lightning to USB camera adapter and went straight from the iPad to the host port on keyboard.  Same results.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 26, 2017 @ 02:44 AM
stoneb3
Joined  06-05-2011

You can only use the TO HOST port with a computer and drivers. I’m surprised it was recognized at all. You need to use an interface via 5pinDin and the instrument needs to be set to MIDI in Utility Mode.

I’m fading fast here will check back in the am.

[ Ignore ]  

Page 1 of 3

Previous Topic:

‹‹ S70XS doesn’t start up
Next Topic:

Using S-90 with Yamaha Editor ››