mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Mouse noise"

Posted on: January 15, 2017 @ 11:07 AM
Andreezeez
Total Posts:  9
Joined  01-18-2015

When I am using my MOX6 as my sound card, it makes a buzzing noise every time I move my mouse. What is wrong with my setup? Windows 10…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 15, 2017 @ 12:21 PM
zpink
Total Posts:  427
Joined  08-02-2014

USB ground loop, most likely.
There are several ways of solving it, my favv and cheapest way is to cut the shield and black ground lead in the cable.

Disclaimer here, I’ve done this on all my cables and everything is working just fine and is nice and quiet, but it may not work for everyone! (even though I’ve never read about anyone whom it hasn’t worked for)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 17, 2017 @ 10:03 AM
BeeRad
Total Posts:  123
Joined  10-17-2006

Interesting.  I have had the same problem with both my xs and XF hooked usb to the computer and using a wireless USB mouse.  Annoying as heck.  So, just cut the shield and ground on the USB cable from the XF?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 17, 2017 @ 10:04 AM
BeeRad
Total Posts:  123
Joined  10-17-2006

Interesting.  I have had the same problem with both my xs and XF hooked usb to the computer and using a wireless USB mouse.  Annoying as heck.  So, just cut the shield and ground on the USB cable from the XF?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 17, 2017 @ 11:00 AM
zpink
Joined  08-02-2014
BeeRad - 17 January 2017 10:04 AM

I first did only the shield on my cables to soundcard, MoXF (not used for audio) and Mininova. That made it a lot better but not 100% quiet. When also cutting the ground/black, it got perfect.

Some devices or USB ports may need the ground, but none of mine so far. :-)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 17, 2017 @ 11:48 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

Whether the ground connection is needed or not depends on which device is providing power and if there’s an alternative ground path (which is typically the cause of the loop, hence noise).

If a USB cable’s shield and ground are cut, I suggest marking it plainly so that in the future that cable isn’t used in an application where those connections are needed. Otherwise, it could lead to confusion over why something wasn’t working.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 17, 2017 @ 12:14 PM
zpink
Joined  08-02-2014

My cables are clearly marked by the electrical tape covering the section where the surgery took place. ;-)

[ Ignore ]