mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Firewire dropouts and stutters"

Posted on: December 29, 2016 @ 08:22 PM
BeeRad
Total Posts:  123
Joined  10-17-2006

Please realize I have spent several hours over the last two days trying to figure this out before I ask for help.  I just purchased (used off ebay from a reputable seller) a firewire card for my XF8, thinking this would help with my recording setup.

It is recognized in Cubase (8.5 Artist) just fine.  Seems to allow things to communicate between XF and puter........ BUTTTTTT

No matter whether I just listen to youtube videos, try to play “Addictive Keys” as a stand-alone or within Cubase, try to use Cubase Artist 8.5 and play the XF as a VST, I get glitches and dropouts.  I even have a problem with John Melas Total librarian using the XF midi thru the firewire to try and “receive all”.  It is really slow and then I get a consistent time out error in the first 60 seconds or so. 

I switch back to XF midi over USB and Melas’ software runs fast and no error.

I have tried changing drivers (but I don’t have any listed as “legacy").

I have changed cables, tried both hard connections 1 and 2 on the firewire card, tried using the “control panel” for the FW and changing buffer sizes.  Nothing works.  It is not like it is getting “overloaded”, just seems to act like a hiccup. And then several more..... I have tried all the FW monitor options (stand alone, w/pc, pc direct).  Read all of Bad Mister’s articles for the XS.........BTW where is the “autoload iEEE firewire driver”?? on the XF? Must be a former firmware?

If I hold a chord and let any piano of the XF decay, the glitches still happen randomly.... REALLY annoying and of course, not usable.

I have a chance to return the card if it isn’t working, but something tells me it is a windows/compouter problem.

Any ideas?  I have no problems with USB.

Here is my setup:  Computer:  HP HPE-112Y, AMD phenom IIx4 925 processor running at 2.8 ghz.  8 gigs of ram, upgraded recently to windows 10 64 bit.

XF firmware:  1.50.4
Fire Wire driver 1.66
USB driver 3.1.4.1
FW firmware 1.08

Thanks,

Brad

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 29, 2016 @ 09:37 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

The IEEE1394 Driver setting is only found on the XS, not the XF.

Since you’re running 64-bit Windows 10, are you using the 64-bit Yamaha Steinberg FW v1.66 driver? (There’s a 32-bit and a 64-bit version.)

From the YSFW v1.66 driver download page:
1394 Chip Set Compatible with this driver
- AGERE FW323-05
- AGERE FW323-06
- TI TSB12LV23 + PHY
- TI TSB12LV26 + TSB41AB03
- TI TSB43AB22/A
- TI TSB43AB23
- VIA VT6306

*ATTENTION
The manufacturer may alter the above mentioned Chip Set without notice. Depending on the change, there’s a possibility of it not working properly with this driver.

1394 Chip Set NOT Compatible with this driver
- NEC D72873GC
- NEC D72874GC
- NEC uPD72874

If you don’t know which FW chip set your computer has, you might want to check with HP.

Last but certainly not least…
See these threads concerning the YSFW Utility:
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/469364/
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/476554/

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 30, 2016 @ 05:25 PM
BeeRad
Joined  10-17-2006

Yes, I installed the 64 bit driver.  Funny how the FireWire drivers location on the computer is in a system 32 folder?  I have done everything to find out what chipset is on the board.  The main chipset is AMD 785G.  This from running speccy as suggested on HP forum.

Am wondering if there are markings on the mother board that would indicate the chip sub-set (if there is such a thing) for FireWire.

Just don’t want to keep a $200 plus FireWire addition to the XF if is defective.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 30, 2016 @ 06:41 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

The FW16E seems to be pretty reliable, and problems with it typically have external causes.

From https://restore.solutions/en/hpcompaqelitehpe112y/ ...
HP Compaq® Elite HPE-112y FireWire
FireWireHP Compaq® Elite HPE-112y FireWire Devices
R5C551 IEEE 1394 Controller PCI\VEN_1180&DEV;_E832&SUBSYS;_04281028&REV;_03\4&DBAB9B0;&0;&04E2;

The R5C551 is a Ricoh chip. Other forum members have had problems with some Ricoh IEEE1394 (FireWire) chips. You might have better results getting a separate card with TI chipset.

However, if you haven’t already run the YSFW Utility (see my previous post), I suggest you do so.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 05, 2017 @ 04:24 PM
BeeRad
Joined  10-17-2006

Just an update for anyone interested.  I looked inside the old ‘puter’ and see that the chipset for firewire control is VIA 6308s (I see only VIA 6306 has been “tested/approved” with the mlan card).  Tried unplugging everything USB to the computer and trying again anyway.  Nothing better.  Like an interrupt is happening somehow.  Not sure if I wanna blow anymore money trying to get a firewire pci/e card.  But, being stubborn, probably will.  Will post if i get results.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 05, 2017 @ 05:34 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
BeeRad - 05 January 2017 04:24 PM

Just an update for anyone interested.  I looked inside the old ‘puter’ and see that the chipset for firewire control is VIA 6308s (I see only VIA 6306 has been “tested/approved” with the mlan card).

As far as I know, there’s no compatibility info for that particular VIA chip. If anyone is successfully using a Yamaha FW interface and a computer having the 6308S, please let us know.

You mentioned “mlan card” - do you actually have an old mLAN16E2, or is it an FW16E?

BeeRad -

Tried unplugging everything USB to the computer and trying again anyway.  Nothing better.  Like an interrupt is happening somehow.

USB usage is unlikely to impact FireWire operation.

BeeRad -

Not sure if I wanna blow anymore money trying to get a firewire pci/e card.  But, being stubborn, probably will.  Will post if i get results.

Not to beat an apparently dead horse, but…
Did you run the YSFW Utility? Doing so has cured the problem you’re having for many users.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 05, 2017 @ 07:45 PM
BeeRad
Joined  10-17-2006

It is the FW16E

Well, feeling a little stupid (especially since I ordered a firewire card with TI chipset this afternoon!).  I “thought” I had run the YSFW utility as in the firewire driver I was able to select (try) different buffer rates.....but, after reading above, decided to “run” it again.  This time i chose a medium buffer.....which I thought I was doing by trying different “sample sizes” in the driver utility.

restarted computer......seems to working fine.  Jeez.......thanks 5 pin!

Neigh, Neigh, Neigh (sound of a dead horse being beaten!)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 05, 2017 @ 08:36 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

You’re welcome - I’m glad that it appears the problem has been resolved.

As might be obvious by now, I’m not easily discouraged.  :-)

[ Ignore ]