mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "What do I need to connect the XF to the new iPad ?"

Posted on: March 16, 2012 @ 05:47 PM
Mr. Spock
Total Posts:  99
Joined  03-02-2012

Hi. just got my XF8 and the new ipad ,

What do I need , to connect the XF to the new iPad wirelessly ?
I want to be able to play chords on the Motif wirelessly from the ipad like someone did in a cool video i saw somewhere.

thanks
Mr. Spock

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 16, 2012 @ 06:31 PM
meatballfulton
Total Posts:  3022
Joined  01-25-2005

Full info here

000437_6717_i.jpg

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 17, 2012 @ 08:26 PM
Mr. Spock
Total Posts:  99
Joined  03-02-2012

Yea thats a great link ,
but I need to know what Wireless USB-LAN Adaptor is compatible with Motif ?
There are many different ones out there .

And just so I’m clear on this , wifi internet is not needed to connect ipad to XF correct ?

If so then All I should need is a wireless usb adapter , ipad with the XF apps correct?

thanks for Your help .

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 07, 2012 @ 10:20 PM
Redhotpoker
Total Posts:  3601
Joined  11-18-2010

Mr. Spock,
Here’s the list of tested models which work.
http://download.yamaha.com/file/48197

Wireless LAN only for MOTIF XF
(The wireless LAN supports only MOTIF XF.)
Buffalo WLI-UC-GNHP, WLI-UC-GNM
Edimax EW-7711UAn
Hawking HWUN3
LogiLink WL0049A, WL0054
Tenda W311U

You can also connect your iPad to your Motif XF with your USB cable.
http://gospelmusicians.com/news/connecting-yamaha-motif-esxsxf-usb-to-ipad-playing-custom-samples-on-ipad-garageband/

Yes this app is fun:
Keyboard Arp & Drum Pad - US

Keyboard Arp & Drum Pad is a CoreMIDI application that transmits notes to external MIDI instruments and includes a keyboard, arpeggiator and assignable drum pads. You can play the built-in keyboard, trigger arps and play various patterns of instruments like drums, keyboard or guitar. The drum pads also allow you to play drum phrases or assign multiple notes on one pad and play chords.

Set the Keyboard Arp and Drum Pad to different channels to play drum beats
and pad chords along with the sequenced phrases run by the arpeggiator.

The Yamaha MOTIF XF* offers WiFi connectivity - enabling wireless control.
If you use the Yamaha i-MX1 MIDI Interface , you can connect to any MIDI instrument.

Features
Keyboard Arpeggiator
・You can choose from 342 arps including many different instrument categories
・Each arp phrase can be modified in real time for swing, beat stretch, octave range and variation

Drum Pad
・Each of the 16 Drum Pads can have up to 5 notes with assignable velocities so you can play chords or layered percussion with one pad
・Split pads in half and assign different notes or velocities to the left side and right sides of the pad
・ A learn mode makes it easy to program the pads directly from an external device

Tap Tempo
・A Tap Tempo feature allows you to quickly set the Tempo of the arps

Ribbon Controller
・A Ribbon Controller lets you control Velocity, Pitch and 2 Assignable Parameters

* In order to have utilize a WiFi connection, please update your MOTIF XF OS via http://4wrd.it/YAMAHASYNTH and attach a compatible WiFi USB adapter

Chas

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 07, 2012 @ 10:55 PM
VikasSharma
Total Posts:  1523
Joined  10-05-2010
Redhotpoker - 07 June 2012 10:20 PM

You can also connect your iPad to your Motif XF with your USB cable.

Chas, where did you get this from? How?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 07, 2012 @ 11:10 PM
Redhotpoker
Joined  11-18-2010

Hi Vikas,
Check the link I posted above, and what Phil had mentioned:

Wifi with iPAD
When you want to setup so that you can control your XF with a device like an iPAD. You are going to establish communication between the XF and the iPAD for MIDI information. You can setup using either a “cable” connection (via a USB Camera Connection or to the MIDI ports via an interface like the Yamaha iMX-1) or you can setup using the XF’s ability to do ‘wireless’.

In order to setup wirelessly you will need a compatible USB Wifi stick (connected to the XF’s “TO DEVICE” USB port, I recommend a hub so that you can also connect multiple USB storage sticks). You will need to set the unit’s Network Interface to “wireless” (as opposed to Ethernet) and in this case you will be able to communicate with the iPAD when you set the XF’s MIDI IN/OUT = “network”. Doing so allows bi-directional MIDI communication between the XF and the iPAD application.

Okay that should help you understand what can and cannot be done with the Ethernet connection as it is implemented here on the XF. It is mainly for filing. Filing is an offline activity. It is not like FW or SPDIF, where there is real time audio (audio + MIDI in the case of FW). Don’t confuse the USB AUDIO RECORD/PLAYBACK feature with these…

The real time writing of the .wav is still an act of “filing”. The XF just lets you listen to playback while it renders the .wav file.

I’m not saying that some other applications of the Ethernet port are not possible - just these are the prinicipal use cases.

Hope it helps.

Was from another thread, what I was referring to.

These are available today;
http://www.ebay.com/itm/YAMAHA-i-MX1-iMX1-MIDI-INTERFACE-CABLE-IPAD-IPHONE-CONNECT-MIDI-NEW-/370547923791

These are swell too:
http://store.griffintechnology.com/3meter-usb-dock-cable
Compared to the short stock cable.

Chas

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 08, 2012 @ 01:36 AM
VikasSharma
Total Posts:  1523
Joined  10-05-2010

Hi Chas,

So in order to connect your iPad to the Motif for the purpose of MIDI data transfer, you need to get the Apple iPad Camera Connection Kit. The standard Apple Dock Connector to USB Cable will not work for this purpose.

Thanks for your reply.

Regards,
Vikas

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 09, 2012 @ 03:30 PM
Redhotpoker
Joined  11-18-2010

Hi Vikas,
Sure, that’s it…
USB, it really is universal, when ever you need a place to plug in something, get a usb plug!!

I love these new ‘All In One’ usb drives,,,.
They do it all for you, the way you like, and then some!!

Chas

Image Attachments
All in one USB.jpg
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 24, 2016 @ 07:44 PM
Kapliy
Total Posts:  3
Joined  12-12-2012

Hello guys, i installed cubase on ipad pro but couldnt connect to Motif xf.  Help to find out the problem

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 29, 2016 @ 09:20 AM
meatballfulton
Total Posts:  3022
Joined  01-25-2005

Watch this video.

Good luck.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ External Master Word Clock for XF S/PDIF connection?
Next Topic:

bought used motif xf ? ››