mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Yamaha EX5/SY99 As MIDI Controller"

Posted on: November 22, 2016 @ 04:10 PM
Mighty Motif Max
Total Posts:  317
Joined  04-30-2016

Hi!

I am looking at purchasing either (or both) a Yamaha EX5 or SY99 to replace my YS200 as the midi controller (2nd keyboard) in my live rig, and also so that I have some other unique voices to use when needed.

I like both keyboards, sound-wise, so my question is whether or not either one would be an improvement over the YS200 as far as MIDI control is concerned, especially velocity sensitivity.

I am also thinking of adding a Hammond SK1-73 for organ, but that would not be used as a controller at all.

Thanks!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 22, 2016 @ 09:54 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

As far as I know, SY99 maximum MIDI key velocity is about the same as the YS200. I don’t know about the EX5 - hopefully someone who does will post.

If you otherwise like a particular keyboard, perhaps that aspect of it shouldn’t prevent you from getting one. I use a MIDI Event Processor with my YS200 to scale the velocity.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 22, 2016 @ 10:27 PM
Mighty Motif Max
Joined  04-30-2016
5pinDIN - 22 November 2016 09:54 PM

… I use a MIDI Event Processor with my YS200 to scale the velocity.

What is that?

Where would I buy one?

Brand/software/hardware?

Thanks!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 22, 2016 @ 10:51 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

I use a Yamaha MEP4, but it’s a rack mounted unit that’s been out of production for many years - and it gets programmed in hexadecimal.

This is a modern device:
http://www.midisolutions.com/prodevp.htm

Google to find sellers.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 23, 2016 @ 11:19 AM
meatballfulton
Total Posts:  3022
Joined  01-25-2005

The SY99 and EX5 are similar in terms of available controllers: second mod wheel, two expression pedals, two foot switches, breath controller. EX5 also has a ribbon. You can use the same pedals and switches as the XF with either. As far as velocity, both let you choose curves like on the XF.

The EX5 has the advantage of being much more like a Motif in terms of operation, but since both are Yamahas you shouldn’t find setting up either one very difficult.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 24, 2016 @ 03:19 PM
Mighty Motif Max
Joined  04-30-2016
meatballfulton - 23 November 2016 11:19 AM

The SY99 and EX5 are similar in terms of available controllers: second mod wheel, two expression pedals, two foot switches, breath controller. EX5 also has a ribbon. You can use the same pedals and switches as the XF with either. As far as velocity, both let you choose curves like on the XF.

The EX5 has the advantage of being much more like a Motif in terms of operation, but since both are Yamahas you shouldn’t find setting up either one very difficult.

As I tell people sometimes, old technology is sometimes better in some ways, or as least as useful as new tech, in some cases.

How would I program a second modulation wheel to control the Motif?

Also, is it possible to use a breath controller on either keyboard, and play the Motif’s sounds via midi with that controller still affecting the sound?

What are reasonable price-points for either synthesizer?

Thanks so much!

-Max

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Help with Scene in song mode or pattern mode
Next Topic:

Load loops ››