mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Editing presets and more"

Posted on: November 20, 2016 @ 02:30 PM
chr
Total Posts:  19
Joined  09-17-2013

How do I edit a layered preset to save into a user bank?
I have loaded the CF pianos onto the flash board, and I would like to edit the volume level of the Strings in CF Piano and Strings voice(s). I have pressed the edit button, but can’t find where I can adjust the levels or balance between the piano and strings, to lower the string volume slightly.
I also want to give an opinion on live performance speakers.
I play in a jazz duo (no vocals) on a MOXF8 with an electric bass player. I play primarily AP voices, with some Rhodes/Wurlitzer keyboard voices. It is enlightening to hear how certain AP voices will work with some and not other speaker arrangements, without editing.
I tried the Roland KC550 for a while, and though I was never totally content with it, it got the job done, and I didn’t find offensive. Just very heavy. I then tried the QSCK8 placed on an amp stand. The weight and portability was a big relief. The sound was clear and bright, dispersion was nice and wide. At times, it seemed a little shrill. I then purchased the Yamaha DXR12. Very nice, PLENTY of POWER. I found myself hearing more of the ‘wood’ of the AP voices. I also used that on an amp stand. The weight of this unit is another 20 lbs above the QSC. I was getting back toward the Roland weight, which I was trying to get away from.
I experimented splitting the signal right and left to the DXR and QSC at a gig, and the stereo effect on all the voices was really nice. The drawback for me was I was hauling more gear, more weight and had a bigger footprint then I wanted.
I am now using Aspen Pittmans Spacestation. Although there are compromises when compared to the powered PA cabinets in sound and stereo, I really like this box. The ‘bloom’ they talk about in many of the reviews is very unique, and the sound, especially on the Rhodes or Hammond patches, really envelopes you. The weight is ok at 40#. It has surprising bass response for an 8” speaker. Between the four speakers in the unit, the side firing, and the signal processing, I dig it. Alot. One thing I have found in particular with the Spacestation vs the others is that the CF pianos sound the best of any the combinations of cabinets. I had a couple of questions about settings and placement, and Aspen was right there on the other end of the phone, taking the time to give me advice. Nice guy, and very knowledgeable. Give it a try if you haven’t. It is now my go to cabinet for practice and performance.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 20, 2016 @ 03:27 PM
jozsihome
Total Posts:  94
Joined  11-28-2015

Hi chr,
(1) The key is that when you press Edit you are in Common mode and its normal that you cant find anything about layers. Press 1 in the Part select section and then any number from 1 to 8 and you’ll get it. In this mode you can Edit the specific element (layer) of the voice. You will find Output level control on the Amp tab. See manual for other info.
(2) I had KC350 formerly in a rock band and I was perfectly satisfied with it when used for keyboard combo and personal monitor purposes. But any combo cannot be enough for live performance, that’s why you were unsatisfied even with the heavy weight KC550. So you need a good PA system even if the band are without vocals. In the best scenario you have a bass amp, a keyboard amp AND the PA system with two loudspeakers directed to the audience. I would be afraid of using any “one box” system in live for keyboard for its directional effect that prevents sound to widespread evenly in the highmid and high frequency ranges. It’s only my opinion, I’m not a special expert in this field.

I note that it’s better to start new posts for these quite different topics :-)
Good luck :-)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 20, 2016 @ 06:27 PM
chr
Joined  09-17-2013

Thanks jozihome, that worked like a charm. I also agree with you on the PA.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 21, 2016 @ 01:17 AM
zpink
Total Posts:  427
Joined  08-02-2014

If you only need to adjust volume and/or pan of the parts in a performance, a quick way is to press BOTH of the ‘Knob Function Buttons’ at the same time, then the 8 Knobs turns into Volume and Pan for the 4 parts.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 21, 2016 @ 12:18 PM
chr
Joined  09-17-2013

Thank you zpink for the great info. And have a Happy Thanksgiving!

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Audio & MIDI over USB
Next Topic:

Delay being added on performances with Organ ››