mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "How To Make A Mono-Compatible Piano Sound - Urgent - Performance On Sunday"

Page 2 of 2
Posted on: October 02, 2016 @ 07:29 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
Mighty Motif Max - 01 October 2016 10:52 PM

5pinDIN
How do the piano Voices (stereo and mono) sound to you on headphones?

The stereo piano sounds sound fine. The (user) mono piano sound sounds almost the same through the headphones as through the amp. The Preset mono piano sounds OK, but not great, through the headphones, but not through the amp.

With a pair of matched transducers (the headphones), your first preference is for piano in stereo, followed by Preset mono. That’s not surprising, because it’s most natural for us to experience sound in the environment that way - binaurally.

It also appears to indicate that the amp/speaker is a factor in your dissatisfaction with the sound quality. I realize you currently have limited funds, but it may be that you’ll eventually be better satisfied if you get a good pair of powered speakers.

Mighty Motif Max - 16 September 2016 10:17 PM

[...]When I can, I will purchase a second amp so that I can perform in stereo (still awaiting recommendations on that one via another thread).

It’s difficult to make such recommendations because of things such as personal sound preference, room acoustics (which vary with venue), power requirements (which may also vary), etc. When you can afford to do so, base your purchase on the best information you have at the time, but I’d suggest buying from a dealer with a good return policy in case what you get doesn’t prove to meet your needs.

--------

In the meantime, there are things you can try - they might help…
See http://www.motifator.com/index.php/support/view/learning_to_customize_piano_voices_to_your_playing_style
In particular, Velocity Curve settings can make a big difference in how Voices sound.

Properly applied EQ can “open” an otherwise lifeless sound. The XF has some decent EQ capabilities. It’s a matter of recognizing the relationship between frequencies and sound characteristics.
http://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/whats-frequency
http://www.digitalprosound.com/2002/03_mar/tutorials/mixing_excerpt1.htm

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 02, 2016 @ 07:58 PM
Mighty Motif Max
Total Posts:  317
Joined  04-30-2016

Thanks!

This morning I played a gig with my XF and my YS200 (as a MIDI keyboard). For one section I played solo, using the Piano and Strings voice. The sound was very canned and artificial sounding, even though I had the keyboard outputting in stereo to a DI box. Why did this happen?

The DI box had two inputs, a line and a HI-Z. I was told to connect to both for stereo. Was this the problem? Should I have used two DI boxes?

The DI box output to the main sound system, which has four speakers. Thanks!

-Max

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 02, 2016 @ 08:43 PM
cmayhle
Total Posts:  3116
Joined  10-05-2011

A mono DI box will not maintain a stereo signal path.

A Stereo DI Box is what you need, if you want to keep each channel discreet.

You could use 2 mono boxes also.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 02, 2016 @ 10:50 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

The Yamaha YS200 is a keyboard I’m very familiar with. It’s 4-operator FM, with sound engine capabilities very similar to the TX81Z module, but also having built-in effects (and, of course, a keybed). Its main handicap is the Easy Edit, which severely limits editing from the front panel. In order to get to all the “goodies”, I wrote a PC-based editor/librarian for it (which runs under DOS, revealing about how long ago I did that).

However, there’s another shortcoming of the YS200. It’s very difficult to get velocity levels of over 100 - you almost have to hit the keys with a hammer. Hopefully you weren’t using the YS200 to play the XF, because besides the issue with the DI that cmayhle discussed, playing piano at such low velocities will certainly make it sound lifeless. When I’ve used my YS200 as a controller, my Yamaha MEP4 MIDI event processor is programmed to increase the velocity so that 127 can be hit without hurting my hands.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 03, 2016 @ 11:30 AM
Mighty Motif Max
Joined  04-30-2016

I was using the YS200 for controlling some of the Motif’s Organ sounds, which do not require touch sensitivity, and sound effects. I do know what you mean about the velocity sensitivity on the YS200. I NEVER play piano on it for this exact reason. Most of the other sounds should work fine.

Thanks for the information on a stereo DI box. What is the HI-Z input on a mono box for?

-Max

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 03, 2016 @ 07:20 PM
cmayhle
Joined  10-05-2011
Mighty Motif Max - 03 October 2016 11:30 AM

...What is the HI-Z input on a mono box for?

-Max

This Link has a fairly good discussion of Hi-Z.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 04, 2016 @ 01:54 PM
Mighty Motif Max
Joined  04-30-2016

Do I need to connect the Motif to a HI-Z port?

-Max

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 04, 2016 @ 05:23 PM
cmayhle
Joined  10-05-2011

Just a simple line-in.

In the box you described having, I would plug the XF output into the Line input.  The Hi-Z input is most likely for an electric guitar direct-in, or a very high impedance microphone...you can find inexpensive Hi-Z mics at places like radio shack.

5pinDIN, among others, can speak on this topic much more authoritatively, but my understanding is that a typical line-in input impedance would be in about the 600 ohm range, and a typical electric guitar Hi-Z direct-in impedance would be around 500k ohm.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 04, 2016 @ 07:33 PM
Mighty Motif Max
Joined  04-30-2016

I will have to purchase a stereo DI box, as I do not actually own one. I have almost never needed one, as I primarily perform solo, but I have used them, especially at my church, where one is needed to convert the 1/4” end to XLR.

Would a small mixer work as well, plus giving me more control?

Thanks!

-Max

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 04, 2016 @ 08:43 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

There’s no exact standard for low or high impedance. Line outputs can range from about 100Ω~1kΩ. (Motifs have a line output impedance of about 600Ω.) Line inputs are usually around 10kΩ. That ratio allows for good voltage transfer, and helps to minimize noise and the effects of cable length and capacitance.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 04, 2016 @ 09:06 PM
cmayhle
Joined  10-05-2011
Mighty Motif Max - 04 October 2016 07:33 PM

...Would a small mixer work as well, plus giving me more control?....

There was some mixer advice in This Thread, but it didn’t get very far.

I am a fan of using a small-format keyboard mixer...within easy reaching distance...in a live performance environment that incorporates more than (1) instrument

I have been using one of These for several years, and am very happy with it.

Plus, the XF8 has (2) terrific deck spaces for a small mixer, one on each end.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 04, 2016 @ 09:30 PM
Mighty Motif Max
Joined  04-30-2016
cmayhle - 04 October 2016 09:06 PM
Mighty Motif Max - 04 October 2016 07:33 PM

...Would a small mixer work as well, plus giving me more control?....

There was some mixer advice in This Thread, but it didn’t get very far.

I am a fan of using a small-format keyboard mixer...within easy reaching distance...in a live performance environment that incorporates more than (1) instrument

I have been using one of These for several years, and am very happy with it.

Plus, the XF8 has (2) terrific deck spaces for a small mixer, one on each end.

I am still contemplating the mixers on that thread. The Yamaha seems like it would fit my needs. I generally have an accordion in my rig as well.

The mixer that you use - is it older?

-Max

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 04, 2016 @ 09:51 PM
cmayhle
Joined  10-05-2011

Yes, my MG102c is from an older, discontinued line of mixers.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 28, 2016 @ 01:52 PM
dsetto
Total Posts:  435
Joined  01-24-2014

(accidental reply)

[ Ignore ]  

Page 2 of 2

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Make sample continue to run
Next Topic:

Audio recording mode, voice mode song ››