mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Updates XS8"

Posted on: September 14, 2016 @ 04:22 AM
Tompa
Total Posts:  10
Joined  08-03-2015

Will there be any future updates for firmware or OS on the Motif XS?
I can think of some that would be beneficial and that should be possible to achieve.
Tompa

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 14, 2016 @ 08:03 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
Tompa - 14 September 2016 04:22 AM

Will there be any future updates for firmware or OS on the Motif XS?
I can think of some that would be beneficial and that should be possible to achieve.
Tompa

Unfortunately, I doubt there will ever be an OS update for the Motif XS beyond version 1.60. (It’s also unlikely that the XF will see anything beyond version 1.50.) A company like Yamaha doesn’t do such things when there’s no monetary or other advantage for them.

Also very unlikely, although not impossible, is that a third party will hack the OS.

If you don’t mind revealing them, what changes or additions to the OS would you like to have?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 14, 2016 @ 10:24 AM
Tompa
Joined  08-03-2015

Thanks a lot for your reply!
I can come to think of 5 things:

1. The ability to change to a new voice or performance without muting the previous one until hitting the “program button”

2.A function that lets you search a sound/voice/performance by name instead of taken the route through category search

3. An onscreen keypad for inputting letters/numbers- built in instead of the function with an external keyboard

4. More Master space for saving like a Bank B Master

5. The ability to save smaller units like a song/voice directly to a USB stick or the file location

As you might suspect I am a former Kurzweil owner and the K synths had good facilities that would be wonderful to have in this great instrument. The Kurzweil also has key combinations for shortcuts that were also very handy in a stressed situation

Tompa

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 14, 2016 @ 01:15 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
Tompa - 14 September 2016 10:24 AM

Thanks a lot for your reply!

You’re welcome.

Tompa -

I can come to think of 5 things:

1. The ability to change to a new voice or performance without muting the previous one until hitting the “program button”

If that presents a problem, I would suggest using a Song or Pattern Mixing as a workaround, as described in this support article:
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/support/view/using_a_mixing_setup_for_multiple_sounds_live

Tompa -

2.A function that lets you search a sound/voice/performance by name instead of taken the route through category search

Yes, it could be convenient to have such capability built into the XS. Of course, if a computer is used searching by name is possible.

Tompa -

3. An onscreen keypad for inputting letters/numbers- built in instead of the function with an external keyboard

Yes, that would also be convenient, rather than using the cursor buttons and Data Dial. However, I don’t personally find using a USB ASCII keyboard to be a burden.

Tompa -

4. More Master space for saving like a Bank B Master

There’s a limited amount of flash memory available. Increasing what’s dedicated to storing Masters would likely require reduction of space for some other function.

Tompa -

5. The ability to save smaller units like a song/voice directly to a USB stick or the file location

I might have some suggestions, if you can tell us why you want to save individual Songs or Voices, rather than an “All” file.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 14, 2016 @ 04:01 PM
meatballfulton
Total Posts:  3022
Joined  01-25-2005

Based on past history, there will be no further OS updates for the XS.

It was discontinued about 6 years ago, Yamaha is now 100% focused on Montage OS. Even another XF OS version is unlikely.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 15, 2016 @ 05:35 AM
Tompa
Joined  08-03-2015

Thanks for your answers! I accept all your arguments. Still think it is a pity though, when you invest a lot of money and find that the next model is totally out of reach for an average paid musician, and at the same time knowing that some updates could make a huge difference. I am still very pleased with my XS8- a wonderful machine. But it is nice to dream for a while about how things might be. I will sincerely try out the possibilities with the mixing opportunities. Thank you for a great site and community!!!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 15, 2016 @ 10:59 AM
meatballfulton
Total Posts:  3022
Joined  01-25-2005
Tompa - 15 September 2016 05:35 AM

it is a pity though, when you invest a lot of money and find that the next model is totally out of reach for an average paid musician, and at the same time knowing that some updates could make a huge difference

Free updates after the sale don’t make the mfr any money.

Updates while the instrument is still in production make sense, they can kickstart sagging sales. Once there are no more instruments to sell, the only updates are to fix major bugs.

Many of the “new feature” updates have been to support selling more accessories, like allowing the XS to use the FW16e board, the XF to use Cubase controllers and iOS apps and support for USB Wi-fi adapters. One of the most bizarre new features was letting the XF download the latest information about the instrument from a special Yamaha server and show it on the display!!!

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ 12V from power supply
Next Topic:

Motif xs does not save new voices ››