mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Using MIDI to Control Sustain Pedal between two synths?"

Posted on: August 05, 2011 @ 07:36 PM
iluvchiclets
Total Posts:  112
Joined  06-15-2007

I have a question I can’t seem to figure out on my own.

I have a Korg M50 and a Yamaha MoX6, and I want to use them at the same time but independently of each other.  That is to say, I would like to play a bass line on the M50 and a Rhodes sound on the MoX6. 

However, a single sustain pedal will not operate on both keyboards.  I talked to a tech at my local music store (Long and McQuade Burlington - the best!) and he said that if I used a “Y” cable on my sustain pedal it would simply not create a sustain effect on both keys.

Is there a setup I am missing?  I thought, perhaps, maybe a MIDI setting that would allow control changes between the two keyboards, but not note receive messages?  Or something like that?

Any ideas would be appreciated, thank you!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 05, 2011 @ 10:13 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

I thought, perhaps, maybe a MIDI setting that would allow control changes between the two keyboards, but not note receive messages?  Or something like that?

Actually, there is a way to do this. Use the MOX in MASTER mode

Set one ZONE to play the internal MOX sound and a second ZONE to send the MOX sustain pedal messages to your other keyboard. You can set that second ZONE so that only sustain pedal messages (or those that you choose) get through. You can set a “no-fly” zone with the Note Limits for that that ZONE such that the HIGH NOTE LIMIT = C-2 and the LOW NOTE LIMIT = G8 (this means that no notes will be sent on this ZONE but the controllers you activate will be sent).

Hope that helps get you started. If you need more information - let us know.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 06, 2011 @ 11:51 AM
VladimirZ
Total Posts:  17
Joined  07-18-2011

Look here - very easy and elegantly solution for 2 keyboards stack -
something new on Summer NAMM 2011:
DSSP (Dual Sustain Single Pedal) -
with the DSSP, you can use one sustain pedal to control two keyboards -
1 pedal with 2 wires and 2 jacks:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6SLFFW13q4&feature=related
Maybe this can help?
Best wishes.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 07, 2011 @ 10:23 AM
iluvchiclets
Total Posts:  112
Joined  06-15-2007

Thank you VladimirZ and Bad_Mister,

I appreciate you taking the time to reply.

I have not explored the “Master” mode of the Mox yet.  Sounds very interesting.

If I understand correct, I could set a zone to be (perhaps) the entire Mox6 keyboard?  Then, set that zone to transmit only damper pedal messages (or control-change messages) to the M50, and set that zone to not send note messages?

Sounds wild!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 04, 2016 @ 10:04 AM
AndyXS
Total Posts:  2
Joined  06-10-2016

I would like to see a video on how to use zones in master mode. I currently own an XS7, S70xs, and a MX49. On stage, I go with 2 keyboards and I want to take advantage of additional layering via midi and could use a good “visual” tutorial. Does that exist?

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Played the MoX-6 today
Next Topic:

XS to MOX data transfer issue ››