mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "John Melas on MOXF and MOX"

Posted on: August 21, 2016 @ 12:38 AM
Halion76
Total Posts:  63
Joined  03-13-2015

I have both keyboards and am trying to use the software (still in demo to test but I’ll be buying tomorrow).  Do I need to turn one off when trying to use the software or can I alternate between both?  It is looking for the device driver when I try to connect the MOX.  The MOXF is working fine.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 21, 2016 @ 11:59 AM
jozsihome
Total Posts:  94
Joined  11-28-2015
stein67 - 21 August 2016 12:38 AM

I have both keyboards and am trying to use the software (still in demo to test but I’ll be buying tomorrow).  Do I need to turn one off when trying to use the software or can I alternate between both?  It is looking for the device driver when I try to connect the MOX.  The MOXF is working fine.

You must choose one target instrument model and then you’ll get a MOX or MOXF version of the package (or MOTIF XF or any other). Then you can synchronize with that model, can open any known motif file format and you can convert/save into the format of the chosen model. So you cannot save/convert into MOX and MOXF format via the same sw package.

Do you intend to keep the MOX beside the MOXF? I don’t see any reason for that except to have some spare gear.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 21, 2016 @ 03:39 PM
Halion76
Joined  03-13-2015

Hi, I’ve got it working fine now in that my PC isn’t looking for an additional driver for the software.  I’ve just turned the MOX6 on it’s own and installed the demo software for it.

Does anyone know off-hand if John Melas does “custom” bundles?  Ideally, all I need is the total librarian and performance editor for both the MOX6 and the MOXF6.

Oh and I kept my MOX6 after buying the MOXF6.  I’m using both now in my live band as I like to have two keyboards and personally I feel unless buying the likes of a Montage/Kronos/Nord - the sound quality from the MOXF brand is stunning.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 22, 2016 @ 03:40 AM
jozsihome
Joined  11-28-2015
stein67 - 21 August 2016 03:39 PM

Does anyone know off-hand if John Melas does “custom” bundles?  Ideally, all I need is the total librarian and performance editor for both the MOX6 and the MOXF6.

You can contact Johm Melas and ask a custom bundle and a custom price. What is sure he is very responsive.

stein67 - 21 August 2016 03:39 PM

Oh and I kept my MOX6 after buying the MOXF6.  I’m using both now in my live band as I like to have two keyboards and personally I feel unless buying the likes of a Montage/Kronos/Nord - the sound quality from the MOXF brand is stunning.

You choose your ideal setup so take this only as a comment: It is a bit pointless to have two almost identical instruments in the live setup. Here is my solution: I always use song/mixing mode (and never use performances due to the 4 channel limitation). This way I have 16 timbres that is more than enough for everything. I use a midi keyboard (with aftertouch!) above the moxf. Some of the splits mapped to the moxf keyboard (midi ch1) some of them mapped to the good old XBOARD (midi ch2). Again, I can use aftertouch for timbres mapped to the midi controller.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 22, 2016 @ 06:10 AM
Halion76
Joined  03-13-2015

Hey, thanks very much for the reply. I’ll check it out with him.

I will be upgrading my setup soon but I don’t think it’s a waste of time at all to have two similar keyboards. With the quality of sounds, ease of transport etc they both can bring quite a bit to the party lol!!

I have considered doing similar to yourself but for the time being am just utilising what I have. Out of curiosity what controller keyboard are you using?

Finally.... I got both the moxf and mox connected at the same time. Simply down to booting the keyboards up prior to my pc.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 22, 2016 @ 12:00 PM
jozsihome
Joined  11-28-2015
stein67 - 22 August 2016 06:10 AM

I have considered doing similar to yourself but for the time being am just utilising what I have. Out of curiosity what controller keyboard are you using? .

OK, I see. :-)
At present I use an EMU XBOARD 61 as a second keybed connected directly via normal midi cable. A bit outdated but I like its keyfeel very much. And it has channel aftertouch function which is extremely useful for synth leads. As you know MOTIF engine handles AT messages and MOTIF models have keybed with AT. And this way you can utilize AT also with MOXF.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 24, 2016 @ 12:18 PM
Halion76
Joined  03-13-2015

Just a quick update.  I now have the John Melas software for both the MOXF and MOX and it’s superb.  John done a custom bundle for me and I’m delighted with it.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 24, 2016 @ 01:48 PM
jozsihome
Joined  11-28-2015
stein67 - 24 August 2016 12:18 PM

Just a quick update.  I now have the John Melas software for both the MOXF and MOX and it’s superb.  John done a custom bundle for me and I’m delighted with it.

Pleased to hear that. I have similarly good experiences - both with the software and the customer support from John.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 02, 2016 @ 06:20 PM
Halion76
Joined  03-13-2015

Totally agree.

One thing though...........is it possible to get the software to recognise the names of the sounds in my “user” banks?  Just getting the bank and no. but no name and I have my MOXF full with the added memory.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 03, 2016 @ 02:59 AM
jozsihome
Joined  11-28-2015

What does “recognise the names of the sounds” means exactly? Don’t you thought of song names instead?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 06, 2016 @ 12:40 AM
Stephen Kay
Total Posts:  169
Joined  01-13-2011
stein67 - 02 September 2016 06:20 PM

Totally agree.

One thing though...........is it possible to get the software to recognise the names of the sounds in my “user” banks?  Just getting the bank and no. but no name and I have my MOXF full with the added memory.

I think you are talking about using something like the Mix Editor and it doesn’t show the Voice Names? I forget exactly how it works, but there is some additional function in there where you have to teach it voice names by importing a Total Librarian file or something that already has the voice names in it. Check the various functions on the menus. (I could be wrong but I seem to remember this).

- Stephen Kay
KARMA Developer :: karma-lab.com
Check out the KARMA Motif Software for 6 Yamaha synths!

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Performance setups
Next Topic:

How Can I Get It To Remember? ››