mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "MOXF song mutes/solos don’t carry over to Cubase"

Posted on: August 21, 2016 @ 05:55 PM
twistone
Total Posts:  2
Joined  08-21-2016

Hello all,

I’m new to the MOXF but have experience with Cubase and the MX49 for a few years now.  I was excited to learn that I could record my track mutes using the ‘scene track’. 

I started with a 4-bar pattern, in pattern mode, then chained those patterns together and converted to a song.  I then recorded a scene track to capture my real time mutes.  I initially skipped recording a tempo scene since I don’t have tempo changes in this song. 

That part must have worked, because I saved the song in the MOXF, cycled power, and my song still has the proper mutes when played through the MOXF. 

However, when I import the SMF/midi file from the MOXF into Cubase and dissolve parts back to their original tracks, the mutes aren’t included in the midi data!  The parts just play as normal. 

I’ve followed the manual and the tutorial “moving-a-moxf6-moxf8-song-into-a-cubase-project” with no luck. 

Is it even possible to do this?  Does the ‘scene track’ info get included in the midi file for the song, or is it a hardware only feature?  Thanks for any help!

A still excited, yet very frustrated new MOXF6 owner!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 21, 2016 @ 06:53 PM
twistone
Total Posts:  2
Joined  08-21-2016

Well, I kept digging and found my answer (if anyone else was curious or having the same issue).  It’s not a problem/setting; the hardware system uses additional controls that are not part of MIDI (short version). 

In a post on the Yamaha forum, here was the response to a similar question (is-it-possible-to-record-midi-song-control-messages-in-cubase-ai):

Yamaha rep’s reply:

Thanks for the question,

Actually, several of the Song Commands are Yamaha inventions and are not standard MIDI commands and therefore do not translate to any external sequencer. SCENE and TRACK MUTE events are Yamaha sequencer inventions and do not have a standard MIDI command. Nor can they be operated remotely.

SCENE - is a snapshot of the current mix settings within the Yamaha synth (and would have little meaning to any device but a similar tone engine, so it has nothing a standard Midi device would understand). It is an exclusive command with a dedicated Scene Track in your MOXF sequencer to document and recall the Scene Event. These cannot be sent or recalled remotely - they are an exclusive feature of the Yamaha hardware and its own Sequencer/Tone Generator system.

TRACK MUTE - is a snapshot of which MOXF MIDI tracks are set to playback. Another exclusive command event which can be included in the Scene snapshot, but one which you can create as many events as you require. Unlike the Scene event, if you transfer your sequence from the MOXF to your DAW in realtime, the muted tracks simply will be silent during the time they are muted. But believe it or not there is no Mute Event in the Midi spec. Besides if you are using Cubase as you Midi sequencer you have no need of this particular function which is between the MOXF sequencer and its tracks. Yamaha came up with this Track Mute Event and documents them on the dedicated SCENE Track. These events cannot be sent or recalled remotely - they are an exclusive feature of the Yamaha Sequencer and its own tracks.

I apologize if there are any issues with posting info from that site, please delete if so. 

Thanks.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ How Can I Get It To Remember?
Next Topic:

512mb flashboard ››