mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "FireWire help"

Page 1 of 2
Posted on: June 11, 2016 @ 04:49 PM
richie1027
Total Posts:  686
Joined  10-14-2008

Hey fellows (and ladies if there are any)

Been reading posts on FireWire connections from 2013 (long one from Michael T) and a few from Phil on the yamahasynth forum.  I also downloaded the hefty manual (2 pages, one being FCC data..hehe)

Even the motif ref manual is slim on what I’m looking for, and that is how you set up your DAW to receive multiple audio tracks from the motif

That’s the reason I purchased (haven’t received it yet, so this may be premature)

After installation of the card, and driver installation, il mess around with it, but can I assume that in my DAW I’ll just assign corresponding track numbers as I did when receiving midi data?  In FL Studio, a prompt screen comes up each time you press “record” and asks if you’re recording Audio, Midi, Notes/Automation.

While Cubase and FL studio are quite different with interface and function, I’m certain your answers will gel NTO my use as well.

Never thought I’d need one, but then again I never thought I’d enjoy a DAW! 

Many thanks
(Ps. 103 and humid today in Louisiana....in case your interested)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 11, 2016 @ 06:09 PM
kaz911
Total Posts:  6
Joined  08-12-2010

it’s plug and play. But understand the audio routing as there are virtual channels and real ones. So the 3 rear stereo input(1) and outputs(2) are real - and then you have the virtual ones. In cubase you can use a pre made motif template that sets everything up “right” or you can start from an empty project and assign away for each track.

just remember in cubase that device setup for midi - you have to be careful about what is set as “all in” midi. it’s a checkbox and it can give unexpected results as all midi inputs are routed to your cubase recording. (speaking from experience.....) :)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 11, 2016 @ 07:00 PM
richie1027
Joined  10-14-2008

Thank you Kaz.  I’m left with a couple follow up questions since I do not use Cubase (I use for studio). But regardless of th DAW, am I correct in conceptualiizing that the Setup will be similar to midi routing?  I.e. Set up my DaW to have tracks/channels to align with the Motif sequencer tracks? 

Also, as I mentioned in first post, I didn’t find much documentation topic.  Did I miss finding any Yamaha documentation other than th 2page FireWire expansion card manual?

Thanks again

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 13, 2016 @ 08:27 AM
selfymart
Total Posts:  52
Joined  03-30-2014

I use FW in my Logic Pro x on Mac.
I set the audio and midi input as FW.
Then I can create midi tracks and audio tracks separately or create new track as software instrument , which records both midi and audio.

What is your os , Windows or Mac ?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 13, 2016 @ 09:21 AM
richie1027
Joined  10-14-2008

I use Windows 10 with FL studio

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 13, 2016 @ 11:22 AM
selfymart
Total Posts:  52
Joined  03-30-2014

Sorry not much I can help with windows and FL

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 13, 2016 @ 07:09 PM
richie1027
Joined  10-14-2008

I installed the FW card successfully, along with the Yamaha steingpberg driver.  In my DAW when I select the FW option for audio ASIO, bingo.....my screen shows the Motif Midi, Main, Remote and then the host of Motif channels 1-14

What is Motif MAIN versus Motif MIDI?  In my DAW I have to select one of them (not remote since I won’t need it)

So far I’m unable receive independent channels from the motif.  I tried a 4 track pattern recording and assigned Motif 1 to my first input, and so on to Motif 4.  The 4 tracks came into my master channel fine, but could not record individual tracks separately. 

I also understand that there is no documentation for connecting to my DAW so I’ll cross post to the FL studio forum as well.  I suspect it’s something minor since I have a connection and there is communication between the Motif and DAW.

Any tips appreciated. BTW, I did read the support article Motif XS YSFW Setup Windows.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 13, 2016 @ 08:23 PM
I_Too_Say_So_Long
Total Posts:  728
Joined  09-20-2011
richie1027 - 13 June 2016 07:09 PM

I installed the FW card successfully, along with the Yamaha steingpberg driver.  In my DAW when I select the FW option for audio ASIO, bingo.....my screen shows the Motif Midi, Main, Remote and then the host of Motif channels 1-14

What is Motif MAIN versus Motif MIDI?  In my DAW I have to select one of them (not remote since I won’t need it)

So far I’m unable receive independent channels from the motif.  I tried a 4 track pattern recording and assigned Motif 1 to my first input, and so on to Motif 4.  The 4 tracks came into my master channel fine, but could not record individual tracks separately. 

I also understand that there is no documentation for connecting to my DAW so I’ll cross post to the FL studio forum as well.  I suspect it’s something minor since I have a connection and there is communication between the Motif and DAW.

Any tips appreciated. BTW, I did read the support article Motif XS YSFW Setup Windows.

Some of your questions are specific for FL Studio users and with some luck you’ll find someone there that has employed a Motif XF.
I’m at a loss .... Cubase Pro (daw), Motif XF EDITOR (standalone), and iMacs. :)
You made a good decision to get the FW Expansion Board. We’ve always used them since beginning.
The very first experiences I had with daw’s was with Garageband. Even it has the ability to take the motif’s Mains (left and right) and create a stereo track from which any daw will offer to make an Audio Mixdown. This was how I made my first MP3! Look around for it you’ll find it. How that differs from making a .wav from the back of the XF itself is the ‘sonic’ affect is sort of an enhancement. Even with uncompressed AIFF and WAV I noticed the sonic difference using Logic 9, Logic X, Cubase Ai5 thru to 8.5 Pro. Even Garageband made an MP3 that had more resonance to it than what the XF had produced, which was very plain in comparison. This was my Welcome To The World of DAW’s!
Enjoy and let us know.
btw,
What version FL Studio are you running?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 13, 2016 @ 09:58 PM
richie1027
Joined  10-14-2008

Thx ...l’m using the latest update....12.2.

Perhaps someone else on this forum can add to your insights.  I’m sure I’ll figure it out.

EDIT:  problem solved

a video on you tube for protools showed a fellow connecting his firewire setup with an XS.

In pattern mode, on a selected part, he hit EDIT, and in the 4-part view of OUTPUT, the output select had to be changed to FW 1-16.

i did that and it worked like a charm.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 25, 2016 @ 10:46 AM
NLAlston
Total Posts:  1039
Joined  02-10-2004
richie1027 - 13 June 2016 07:09 PM

So far I’m unable receive independent channels from the motif.  I tried a 4 track pattern recording and assigned Motif 1 to my first input, and so on to Motif 4.  The 4 tracks came into my master channel fine, but could not record individual tracks separately

I am really glad that, a little further dwn in your thread, you mentioned about having gained success with the matter. 

I, too, have been fighting with this issue for longer than I really care to mention.  My problem is that I don’t really understand ‘Routing/Bussing’ issues - as they SHOULD be understood.  Just like, in the above quoted portion from one of your associated posts, you mentioned about aligning Motif 1 to your first input, and so on through four tracks.  That would mean Motif 2 would match your second input, Motif 3 would match input three, and Motif 4 would match input 4.

What confuses the heck out of me is that I had been informed (Yamahasynth.com) that the first two inputs were to be used as a stereo pair.  Now, let’s just say that the balance of my tracks were mono.  I was given to understand that Output 1 would be bussed to Input track 3; Output 2 would be bussed to Input 4, etc.  None of that, however, worked for me.

It would have been REAL NICE, and headache saving, if Yamaha had taken the time to author a set of instructional sheets, (probably wouldnt have taken more than two, or three at the most) which would take even the most clueless user from point A to point Z, through the process of transferring Audio tracks into the DAW. 

It sure would have been helpful.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 25, 2016 @ 05:57 PM
richie1027
Joined  10-14-2008

NLASton
I’m not the best with terminology, but here goes with my understanding of what you wrote.  The yamahasynth reply about the pair of stereo inputs would be the 1/4” female plugins on the back of the motif..where other instruments, mic, etc, can plug into.  If you want to send out MULTIPLE AUDIO tracks, forget those inputs and forget the TWO 1/4” outputs.  They will send mono or stereo audio from ONE channel only.

I’m assuming you have FireWire hooked up.  In your DAW, it should recognize all 16 (or 14?? ) inputs.  If so, then the DAW is likely setup correctly to receive.  Now for the XF (or XS).  If NOT, go into the UTILiTY setup and select FW

In pattern or song mode, select MIXING-> EDIT -> then each track button.  In each track button you can navigate using either the F-# or SF-# buttons and find the OUTPUT tab , and select this.  On the same page you see output, also choose the option to see 4 track view..l.makes it quicker. 
Then simply tab to the output box where you see “L/R” and use the up/down button or scroll wheel to go to the necessary FW option.  You’ll pass the stereo FW options and pick the ones beginning with FW1, FW2.  (The numbers referring your motif tracks).  This should get you going.  Let us know how you make out

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 25, 2016 @ 07:41 PM
NLAlston
Joined  02-10-2004
richie1027 - 25 June 2016 05:57 PM

NLASton
I’m not the best with terminology, but here goes with my understanding of what you wrote.  The yamahasynth reply about the pair of stereo inputs would be the 1/4” female plugins on the back of the motif..where other instruments, mic, etc, can plug into.  If you want to send out MULTIPLE AUDIO tracks, forget those inputs and forget the TWO 1/4” outputs.  They will send mono or stereo audio from ONE channel only.

I’m assuming you have FireWire hooked up.  In your DAW, it should recognize all 16 (or 14?? ) inputs.  If so, then the DAW is likely setup correctly to receive.  Now for the XF (or XS).  If NOT, go into the UTILiTY setup and select FW

In pattern or song mode, select MIXING-> EDIT -> then each track button.  In each track button you can navigate using either the F-# or SF-# buttons and find the OUTPUT tab , and select this.  On the same page you see output, also choose the option to see 4 track view..l.makes it quicker. 
Then simply tab to the output box where you see “L/R” and use the up/down button or scroll wheel to go to the necessary FW option.  You’ll pass the stereo FW options and pick the ones beginning with FW1, FW2.  (The numbers referring your motif tracks).  This should get you going.  Let us know how you make out

Ritchie,

You’ve explained more, to me, in your three paragraphs, than what I had gotten from any other information.  I can’t wait til I am back home (in hospital, presently), where I will be able to try out what you’ve responded to.

Thank you.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 25, 2016 @ 03:49 AM
NLAlston
Joined  02-10-2004

Ritchie,

I had been dealing with some continued health issues, which is why I hadn’t returned here before now.

I am still having problems with this matter, and am now becoming of the mind that it jay be causative of my having the wrong FireWire card/chipset in my Sony Vaio laptop.  Mine, is the Ricoh 1394 OHCI compliant host controller, and I (presently) don’t know what issues that might spell out for the FW16e’s integration. 

This, of course, would not be the headache that it is, for me, if it wasn’t for the extreme importance that such a desired, integrative workflow would mean to me.

So, now, I have to somehow find as to whether or not my FireWire card is compatible with the FW16e.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 25, 2016 @ 08:14 PM
richie1027
Joined  10-14-2008

You seem to have ruled out most other causative factors so this would seem to be a logical step to at least look into. 

I certainly hope it is the problem and that you can get it resolved, if not for the pleasure of tapping into this cool feature, at least to give you some peace of mind.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 26, 2016 @ 01:06 PM
NLAlston
Joined  02-10-2004
richie1027 - 25 July 2016 08:14 PM

You seem to have ruled out most other causative factors so this would seem to be a logical step to at least look into. 

I certainly hope it is the problem and that you can get it resolved, if not for the pleasure of tapping into this cool feature, at least to give you some peace of mind.

Thanks Ritchie.

Due to exasperation, I had even listed this thing for sale, at YamahaSynth.com.  An interested responder just got back to me, and mentioned about having read up on my ongoing issues with it.  He wondered if I just might have a defective card.  It was something that I’d never considered, what with the card being solid state, and with the fact that I very properly handled the card when installing it.  Due to fairness, however, I thought it best to cancel the sales listing.

I hope to get another computer (desktop) in the near future, and will try to obtain a FireWire card which WILL have been reported to be marriageable to th FW16e.  Hopefully, THAT will be all that was needed.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 27, 2016 @ 07:21 AM
meatballfulton
Total Posts:  3022
Joined  01-25-2005

The state of Firewire with Windows is not good. Many people have issues based on the chipset used. The Ricoh chipset is not one that is known to work well with the FW16e.

I own a Mac and there are no problems. The FW16e even works with the Apple FW/Thunderbolt adapter.

Anyone who gets the FW16e working with Windows is lucky…

[ Ignore ]  

Page 1 of 2

Previous Topic:

‹‹ USB and firewire at same time using two computers
Next Topic:

external monitor connection ››