mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Cubase 8/XS Standalone Editor (win7x64) doesn’t recognize XS6"

Posted on: May 28, 2016 @ 11:47 PM
buckyswider
Total Posts:  25
Joined  09-02-2013

Hi all, I’ve been working with my RACK-XS hooked up to my laptop for quite some time now.  (Win7x64, Cubase Pro 8.x).  I just moved my “rig” from my office to my “studio”, where I could finally marry my XS6 to the setup.

So the MIDI in/out of the XS6 is set correctly to “USB”.  When I plug/unplug the USB cable, I hear the windows “clunk” sounds, so the OS is recognizing the system somehow.  Started up Cubase, expected to see the XS6 is in the input/output selections for the MIDI tracks, but it’s not there (I also just hooked up my Midisport MIDI interface, and that showed up there automagically without me having to tweak anything).

So I went into the XS rack editor, and the XS6 doesn’t show up there either.  So I dig a little and notice that there are 2 separate standalone editors- different for the RACK-XS and the XSx.  So I download and install the XSx editor.  It sees only the RACK-XS (and it says “Wrong Hardware” when I try to assign that hardware). 

I then try the Melas suite, and much to my chagrin, there’s separate products for rack and keyboard.  So I’ll need to buy and install the KB version :( . 

I have the x64 MIDI driver v3.1.1 installed (hasn’t been updated since 2012, anyway).  The hardware sees some sort of USB device.  The XS6 is configured for USB.  The PC has no problem seeing USB MIDI devices as it interfaces with the XS-RACK just fine.

What am I missing?  And if I have to fallback to the hardware MIDI port (via the midisport), what will I be missing out on?  At this time I really only think I want to use MIDI on this to use the Melas librarian and to change the voice during sequences (because I’m too lazy to do it myself!).

Thanks…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 29, 2016 @ 01:37 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
buckyswider - 28 May 2016 11:47 PM

[...]I have the x64 MIDI driver v3.1.1 installed (hasn’t been updated since 2012, anyway).[...]

That driver is a few versions old. As far as I know, it works properly with the original version of Win7, but not with Win7 SP1.

As of 8/26/15, this was available…
USB-MIDI Driver V3.1.4 for Win 64-bit (Win7 SP1 / Win8 / Win8.1 / Win10):
http://download.yamaha.com/file/65807

Just to make sure you have the most recent XS Editor…
MOTIF XS Editor Standalone/VST V1.6.4 for Windows:
http://download.yamaha.com/file/21035

(I’m personally running Win XP Pro SP3 with the 3.1.3 USB-MIDI Driver and 1.6.3 Editor, without problem.)

I hope the above helps - please let us know.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 29, 2016 @ 07:26 AM
buckyswider
Joined  09-02-2013

Oops, that was a typo, I’m actually at 3.1.3, which interestingly is still the latest listed on the drivers page:

http://download.yamaha.com/usb_midi/

But I will give 3.1.4 a shot and report back.

Thanks!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 29, 2016 @ 08:18 AM
buckyswider
Joined  09-02-2013

First a typo, second a brain-o.  I actually was at 3.1.4.1 (shoulda looked at the control panel instead of the file I saw in my software directory). 

BUT, just re-installing that version did it.  Both the editor and Cubase see the XS6!  Now gotta pay Melas some more cash!!

..now onto diagnosing/fixing my XS6 sound quality problem.  My studio is pretty humid- guessing that is the issue… :(

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 29, 2016 @ 08:44 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

I’m glad you got the driver issue resolved.

Sorry, but I can’t help with the humidity in “Penn’s Woods”.  ;-)

Is the XS6 sounding different than the Rack XS?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 30, 2016 @ 10:42 PM
buckyswider
Joined  09-02-2013

Oh yeah, there’s definitely something wrong in the audio chain.  Given it’s the first real workout of my entire setup (new cables, mixer, powered speakers) I didn’t suspect the keyboard itself at first- so I swapped cables, changed speaker settings, etc., trying to resolve it.  I thought I finally did “resolve” it, but also part of that was moving the XS vol slider to only halfway, and then I read all the threads where “full” volume was the way to notice the problem.  Will do some more troubleshooting over the next couple days, but I’m not optimistic :( .

Yeah, the PA humidity is horrendous.  And my barn is on an old, cracked up slab, so that is an invitation for ground moisture. I even installed a min-split AC unit last spring, and I still can’t get the humaditty level down below like 65 no matter how low I crank the temperature....

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 30, 2016 @ 11:44 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
buckyswider - 30 May 2016 10:42 PM

Oh yeah, there’s definitely something wrong in the audio chain.  Given it’s the first real workout of my entire setup (new cables, mixer, powered speakers) I didn’t suspect the keyboard itself at first- so I swapped cables, changed speaker settings, etc., trying to resolve it.  I thought I finally did “resolve” it, but also part of that was moving the XS vol slider to only halfway, and then I read all the threads where “full” volume was the way to notice the problem.  Will do some more troubleshooting over the next couple days, but I’m not optimistic :( .

Assuming it’s not a problem with gain staging, it’s possibly due to leaky output muting transistors. I’ve discussed that problem several times - here’s a previous thread:
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/475145/

See if the PHONES output sounds better than the L/MONO and R main line outputs. With the proper adapter cable, you can use that output temporarily in place of the main line outputs.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 03, 2016 @ 07:57 PM
buckyswider
Joined  09-02-2013

Thanks!  Just to close the loop, it ended up being a brand new cable.  I mean brand spankin’ new.  My Swizz Army Knife cable tester showed no problems, but just replacing it with a different one alleviated the issue...not often a problem ends up being the least expensive thing!!!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 03, 2016 @ 08:13 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
buckyswider - 03 June 2016 07:57 PM

Thanks!  Just to close the loop, it ended up being a brand new cable.  I mean brand spankin’ new.  My Swizz Army Knife cable tester showed no problems, but just replacing it with a different one alleviated the issue...not often a problem ends up being the least expensive thing!!!

OK - unusual, but nice when it’s a simple matter.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ XS Song Resampled to 2 Track Wav... want to save to USB
Next Topic:

Auto Load worked 1 time ››