mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "If you can’t beat ‘em"

Page 1 of 2
Posted on: April 30, 2016 @ 07:32 PM
kb420
Total Posts:  726
Joined  04-11-2004

I’m here to confess.  I held out for a long time hoping that Yamaha would release a new Motif Workstation.  The Montage is impressive, but with no sampling or real sequencer, I don’t consider it a workstation. So, as of today, I am now the proud owner of a brand new Motif XF6.

I know I’m extremely late to this party, but I’m here.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 30, 2016 @ 11:00 PM
Mighty Motif Max
Total Posts:  317
Joined  04-30-2016

I’m there too! :-) Just got my XF8 on Monday!

-Max

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 01, 2016 @ 12:28 AM
zippydog
Total Posts:  153
Joined  04-01-2011

Welcome to you both!  You’ve chosen a platform that can do just about anything - and will do so for a long time to come!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 01, 2016 @ 08:32 AM
I_Too_Say_So_Long
Total Posts:  728
Joined  09-20-2011

I certainly agree.
And we are not alone here!
The MOTIF XF is still best. imo.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 01, 2016 @ 06:35 PM
richie1027
Total Posts:  686
Joined  10-14-2008

Cgrats as well.  In the phrase made famous by Thomas Bertram Lance, “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it”

Zippy dog summed it up very well.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 01, 2016 @ 07:08 PM
kb420
Total Posts:  726
Joined  04-11-2004

My only regret is not buying one sooner.  I missed my ES7 soo much.  I’m glad to have a Motif again.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 02, 2016 @ 02:58 PM
RobinVT
Total Posts:  210
Joined  01-16-2012

You will be extremely happy with the XF.  Montage is a different animal and is not a workstation.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 10, 2016 @ 03:02 AM
dsetto
Total Posts:  435
Joined  01-24-2014

Welcome KB420. And congratulations.

Consider this:
with your XF

- a lot of satisfying sounds ready to go, before any learning.
- a lot of edit-ability of these sounds, once you begin to learn
- sure, at a cost, potential of 4GB of user flash ram. But, once in, it’s both ready to go, and it’s with no perceptible latency
- bunch of commercial libraries available; and still dripping in. and i assume will continue to grow, as montage sample format is similar enough
- other sampling paths: that are worlds onto themselves. time investments, if & when you want.
- and all of these sound choices, married to a song and/or pattern sequencer
- yes, there’s a lag when you go back & forth from modes. once you know it, it’s a non-issue. And there’re ways to adapt to it, depending upon needs.
- stellar action
- with your 6, fairly portable form factor.
- stellar existing support. stellar continuing support.
- the videos & e-books sold on motifator are excellent.
- the excellent culmination of a great series of instrument; with a determined end. There’s freedom in that.
- there are things it is not. but things it is.
- it is of great build quality. its sequencer will not need to be kept up-to-date with its sound engine, nor its OS, nor its audio I/O, nor its FX engine. Yeah, it’s not a computer. But, the cohesive whole it is today, is the cohesive whole its great build will maintain for a good while. It sounds good. It’s a good instrument.

---
Over time, the connection between it, useful software, & available OS’s will begin to stretch. As a group, we should try to preserve it. … Suggestions are beyond my comprehension.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 29, 2016 @ 02:58 PM
Estilos
Total Posts:  16
Joined  06-27-2009
kb420 - 30 April 2016 07:32 PM

I’m here to confess.  I held out for a long time hoping that Yamaha would release a new Motif Workstation.  The Montage is impressive, but with no sampling or real sequencer, I don’t consider it a workstation. So, as of today, I am now the proud owner of a brand new Motif XF6.

I know I’m extremely late to this party, but I’m here.

Another late comer here also!

Like you, I held out waiting for that Motif which would include the best of the older models (the PLG Cards/Expandable Synth Engines, mLan capability for modern OS systems, Breath Control input) and the benefits of the newer models. But it never happened. For every great new feature that was introduced in a newer model, it seemed that there was a feature that was removed also. The Fully Loaded promotion was too good to pass up so I bit the bullet and purchased the XF6 during the final days of the Fully Loaded Promotion and got all of the extra freebies!

I am more of a workstation guy so the Montage holds little interest for me. The XF will keep me busy for a long time and I plan on keeping my ES alongside it to have all bases covered.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 29, 2016 @ 05:08 PM
richie1027
Total Posts:  686
Joined  10-14-2008

I sorta envy you new owners....brings back the creative buzz I got when I purchased my XF7 a few yrs back.  I really benefitted from the several great videos (masters, fully loaded, and others ) as well as reading through years of posts on this forum that will likely answer any questions you come up with.  The advanced search function in Motifator is fantastic, allowing you to tweak your query quite specific. 

Enjoy!!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 30, 2016 @ 04:36 AM
Vearsh
Total Posts:  31
Joined  03-01-2016

Me too. got my XF6 on 21st May. Ordered 2x2GB mutec flashboard from Thomann.de and FW16E from Japan.

All installed and its fully loaded now to the max :)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 04, 2016 @ 05:13 PM
kaz911
Total Posts:  6
Joined  08-12-2010

Well - I just got an XF8 to replace my XS6 (picking it up on Monday) - so got an XS6 with 512MB/FW card for sale soon. :) (London/UK)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 04, 2016 @ 06:06 PM
I_Too_Say_So_Long
Joined  09-20-2011
kaz911 - 04 June 2016 05:13 PM

Well - I just got an XF8 to replace my XS6 (picking it up on Monday) - so got an XS6 with 512MB/FW card for sale soon. :) (London/UK)

Congrats on your XF8 .... And WELCOME TO MOTIFATOR.COM!
If you play acoustic pianos, the key-bed of the XF8 makes one feel right at home.
Some like the ‘synth action’ of the XF6’s and 7’s, so as not to put anything down… the XF8 is still a synth, Btw ;-) Just with a different feel to the keys. 
I like feel of an acoustic piano, and partial to Yamaha.
*The sensitivity can be adjusted on all three, but I don’t even know to do it without looking in the manual :)) I believe it’s the velocity curve in the utilities area.
Where’s 5pinDIN !  :)
-----------------------
ADDED;
Hey Kaz911, I just saw your Join Date to Motifator was 2010!
I was assumed by your 1st post. :)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 04, 2016 @ 07:09 PM
kaz911
Joined  08-12-2010
Make_A_JOYful_Noise - 04 June 2016 06:06 PM
kaz911 - 04 June 2016 05:13 PM

Congrats on your XF8 .... And WELCOME TO MOTIFATOR.COM!
If you play acoustic pianos, the key-bed of the XF8 makes one feel right at home.
Some like the ‘synth action’ of the XF6’s and 7’s, so as not to put anything down… the XF8 is still a synth, Btw ;-) Just with a different feel to the keys. 
I like feel of an acoustic piano, and partial to Yamaha.
*The sensitivity can be adjusted on all three, but I don’t even know to do it without looking in the manual :)) I believe it’s the velocity curve in the utilities area.
Where’s 5pinDIN !  :)
-----------------------
ADDED;
Hey Kaz911, I just saw your Join Date to Motifator was 2010!
I was assumed by your 1st post. :)

yes I’m a slow upgrader - and not too active here but music is my go to for relaxing. So 6 years with my XS6 and now to play some heavy (weighted keys) rock..... I did consider Collage (Montage) but I like the Cubase integration a lot and don’t yet care about the retail price :) of the montage. So I thought no better time to get XF since many are upgrading now and prices are as low 2nd hand as they have never been before...... :) but I might wait a month or two before selling my XS6 until worst upgrade fever has died out....

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 04, 2016 @ 07:24 PM
I_Too_Say_So_Long
Joined  09-20-2011

@ kaz911

Cubase integration with the Motif XF is incredible.
... for either Pc or Mac.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 07, 2016 @ 01:09 PM
kaz911
Joined  08-12-2010
Make_A_JOYful_Noise - 04 June 2016 07:24 PM

@ kaz911

Cubase integration with the Motif XF is incredible.
... for either Pc or Mac.

yes - has been using Cubase for my XS6 w/MLan16e2 - which is why I wanted it.

So I bought it as “semi functional” (had been dropped during shipping) but only a few broken keys and end-pieces look like sht.. :) So apart from end-pieces the thing is built like a tank! And I think the end-pieces is made soft on purpose to limit impact damage. So all in all some great engineering gone into this beast.

So new keys arriving tomorrow I hope - and if anyone has some spare left/right end-pieces in ok condition let me know. Everything else is working fine.

Put in a new FW16e card today - and much to my surprise it already had a 1GB Flash card in it. So that was a big positive.

But I do love the weighted keys - the GH88 key-base is very neat. And service manual from XS8 is covers most of it - so no issues there - and a service manual with FULL schematic - that is just incredible these days! (I’m an electronics geek)

[ Ignore ]  

Page 1 of 2

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Moxf8 firmware install update help
Next Topic:

Motif xf & Sonar Cakewalk ››