mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Montage First Impressions & Ratings"

Page 3 of 3
Posted on: May 15, 2016 @ 12:21 PM
dcool
Total Posts:  426
Joined  11-01-2006
davlippo7 - 12 May 2016 02:38 PM

I went to the Yamaha site and registered under the Bosendorfer image/offer somewhere on that page. Once I registered my serial number I received a link which said something like please wait up to (2) weeks for verification. But on the bottom of the message it said click here to begin downloading. I downloading and installed it. No waiting. I had already registered once for the pedal pack as soon as I received my serial number via Montage shipping notice. Not sure if that helped or not.

Go here:

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical-instruments/keyboards/synthesizers/montage/library/

Yeah! I downloaded it and it sounds so beautiful. Imperial Jazz Trio is my favorite performance.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 15, 2016 @ 09:38 PM
muziksculp
Total Posts:  688
Joined  08-13-2002

Thanks for the heads up regarding the Bosendorfer free download.

I’m downloading it right now !

Cheers,
Muziksculp

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 17, 2016 @ 04:26 AM
Raven80
Total Posts:  110
Joined  11-26-2014

Thanks for your replies!

If I understood correctly, the knobs + Super knob
rotate physically endlessly.
Once the highest value (127) was reached and you continue,
it will start from 0.

Regarding VST editor:
I checked on the Internet and it seems Yamaha will decide if it’s worthy or not.
(Sounds a bit bad if you ask me...)

I think since the Montage is more made to be used with DAWs,
a VST editor will definitely make sense.
Even though the Montage has a touchscreen, I can imagine that
it can be tiresome to do a lot of editings there.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 17, 2016 @ 08:18 AM
Melodialworks
Total Posts:  157
Joined  06-13-2009
Raven80 - 17 May 2016 04:26 AM

Thanks for your replies!

If I understood correctly, the knobs + Super knob
rotate physically endlessly.
Once the highest value (127) was reached and you continue,
it will start from 0.

It is correct that they physically rotate endlessly, but once you reach the maximum or minimum value continuing to turn the knob or Super Knob beyond that point does not further change the value.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 17, 2016 @ 12:10 PM
Raven80
Total Posts:  110
Joined  11-26-2014

I think that makes absolutely sense!
Otherwise there is a risk that a user accidentally jumps from the lowest to the highest value or vice versa.

I just wonder how the LED would behave if you use the Montage for VSTi.
For example you link knob 1 to any virtual knob.
Will the LED be updated when changing the patch inside of the VSTi?
That would be really awesome.
Example:
You choose patch 1 of a VSTi, set the Cutoff to 20 ->
-> Montage knob 1 LED shows two bars.
Then you switch to patch 2 whose Cutoff is 127.
Will the Montage remain showing 2 bars or will it show a full cycle?

On the Motif the knob remains in its original position (logical),
and once you move it, the VSTi knob will jump to the Motif knob position.
Not that dramatic, but there is always some “extra work” to do then.

Regards

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 17, 2016 @ 04:23 PM
joesax
Total Posts:  185
Joined  03-11-2009

Picked up my Montage6 yesterday.

-The sound of the instrument is glorious. A significant and noticeable improvement over the Motif XF which was pretty good itself. Everything sounds super clean and real. Even the older samples from Motif XF sound better. To my ears this is the best sounding board on the market. My wife in the other room said she though there was an actual violin and guitar playing in my studio. Now to really do justice you need to connect decent monitors and not just a single keyboard amp. Stereo is so important for this instrument.The better the monitors and amplification the better able you will be to hear what this instrument has to offer.

-There is a decent learning curve even if you are coming from Motif. It’s not horrible but can be frustrating. DVDs and tutorials will be welcome.

-It is built with top quality materials and feels like a professional instrument. Knobs, wheels, buttons all operate smoothly. Even the Keybed seems better than the Motif It’s also a joy to look at.

-Tried the Audio performance recorder and it works great. Records everything you play to a thumb drive. Very Nice.

-My biggest stumbling block has been understanding the Scenes concept. Took a while but I think I am getting there. (Maybe!!)

-The touch screen is very responsive and after a few hours I was clicking all over the place--- Once I found out where everything was and how to get to it!!.

-Finally, for now, the Montage loads so much faster than the Motif and updating the Firmware was quick and easy.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 17, 2016 @ 07:25 PM
Melodialworks
Joined  06-13-2009
joesax - 17 May 2016 04:23 PM

-The sound of the instrument is glorious. A significant and noticeable improvement over the Motif XF which was pretty good itself. Everything sounds super clean and real. Even the older samples from Motif XF sound better. To my ears this is the best sounding board on the market. My wife in the other room said she though there was an actual violin and guitar playing in my studio. Now to really do justice you need to connect decent monitors and not just a single keyboard amp. Stereo is so important for this instrument.The better the monitors and amplification the better able you will be to hear what this instrument has to offer.

-My biggest stumbling block has been understanding the Scenes concept. Took a while but I think I am getting there. (Maybe!!)

I totally agree about the sound. It’s amazing! And yes, monitoring in stereo is essential.

My stumbling block is to get the MONTAGE to work properly with Cubase Pro 8.5. It’s so strange that for months Yamaha has been saying how this board will be optimized to work with DAWs, eliminating the need for an full fledged on-board sequencer and yet it really is problematic. The MONTAGE should work flawlessly with Cubase. It doesn’t.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 17, 2016 @ 08:56 PM
muziksculp
Total Posts:  688
Joined  08-13-2002
Melodialworks - 17 May 2016 07:25 PM
joesax - 17 May 2016 04:23 PM

I totally agree about the sound. It’s amazing! And yes, monitoring in stereo is essential.

My stumbling block is to get the MONTAGE to work properly with Cubase Pro 8.5. It’s so strange that for months Yamaha has been saying how this board will be optimized to work with DAWs, eliminating the need for an full fledged on-board sequencer and yet it really is problematic. The MONTAGE should work flawlessly with Cubase. It doesn’t.

I have not yet tried to pair my Montage 7 with Cubase Pro 8.5 (On PC) , but will be giving it a try soon. What is the problem you are encountering ? 

I feel Steinberg and Yamaha need to work closely, and make sure that Cubase and the Montage work nicely together, and even have the Montage function as a Control Surface for Cubase Pro 8.5

I have a feeling this will happen with Cubase Pro 9 & Montage.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 17, 2016 @ 09:14 PM
Melodialworks
Joined  06-13-2009

I’m on the Mac. Don’t know if that makes a difference. The Quick Setups don’t actually work, so I’ve had to try to configure manually. Bottom line is that I should be able to play the MONTAGE while recording in Cubase, and ALL moves - knobs, buttons, sliders etc should be recorded and then played back exactly as recorded. Not happening yet.

I’ve got a thread about it at yammahasynth.com called “Cubase Pro MIDI question”

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 01, 2016 @ 08:13 PM
dcool
Total Posts:  426
Joined  11-01-2006
muziksculp - 10 May 2016 10:24 PM
dcool - 10 May 2016 08:26 PM

1) I like the new workflow of Montage, it’s very easy to use and understand
2) Superknob is a bit learning curve, but when you understand the workflow then it’s easy to setup
3) I’ve own DX7 IIFD, so this one will bring the DX sounds to the next level.
4) Set List and the screen is great.

I give a B for rating.

Interesting you give the Montage a B rating. 

So.. What is it missing to earn an A from You ?

All the patches should be user writable. We don’t need ROM patches.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 03, 2016 @ 06:36 AM
dvdlei
Total Posts:  6
Joined  08-17-2009

Welcome to join the Yamaha Montage community at https://www.facebook.com/groups/YamahaMontage/

[ Ignore ]  

Page 3 of 3