mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Getting the terminology right between the MOXF and the Motif Rack XS"

Posted on: April 26, 2016 @ 01:49 AM
PatAzz
Total Posts:  57
Joined  01-25-2011

I recently bought a MOXF8, and plan to retire my Motif Rack XS.

With the Rack XS I setup this way:
- Rack XS Multis - 1 for each song
- I use two keyboards and merge them via a MIDI Merger box into the Motif Rack XS
- I use the different parts in the Multi, assign them to the appropriate channels (Ch 1 for my weighted keyboard, ch2 for my synth action keyboard, etc.).

With the MOXF 8, I want to do something similar, but as it has no “Multi’s” I’m confused as to whether I should use Masters, Songs, Song Mixes, or something else???

Also, I have the John Melas tools and have transferred the voices from the Motif Rack XS to the MOXF. However, I can’t transfer the Mutlis directly (at least, I can’t find a way to do so :( ).

Thoughts and pointers?

I deal with stuff a lot more complicated at work, but the language and the differences here are confounding me…

Thanks in advance -

Pat

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 26, 2016 @ 04:19 PM
PatAzz
Joined  01-25-2011

Had a nice thread with John Melas and he pointed me in the right direction.

I’ve recorded most of my Motif Multi settings (on paper :( ) and will apply them to the MOXF 8 manually -

Note: I will likely use a combination of solutions (Mixing/Song) as I have a lot of songs that require more than 4 parts/voices.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 27, 2016 @ 05:43 PM
meatballfulton
Total Posts:  3022
Joined  01-25-2005

For anyone else coming along and reading this, in the Motif family the rack units have no sequencer so they have a Multi mode. The keyboards have a sequencer so have Song and Pattern modes instead.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 27, 2016 @ 11:40 PM
PatAzz
Joined  01-25-2011

I’m still having trouble figuring out how the song and mixing modes interact. I’m keeping on it (bought a video and am watching it now). Hopefully I’ll be able to come up with the solution quickly (rehearsal on Sunday, and I’m booked day and night until then :( ).

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 28, 2016 @ 12:00 AM
cmayhle
Total Posts:  3116
Joined  10-05-2011
PatAzz - 27 April 2016 11:40 PM

I’m still having trouble figuring out how the song and mixing modes interact. I’m keeping on it (bought a video and am watching it now). Hopefully I’ll be able to come up with the solution quickly (rehearsal on Sunday, and I’m booked day and night until then :( ).

Perhaps one of the most significant things to understand is that there are two distinct uses for SONG/PATTERN and their associated MIXING Modes:  Recording to the sequencer, and live performance.

Reading between the lines, it appears that live performance use is of interest to you (not that recording isn’t).

Using MIXING Mode (starting with either SONG or PATTERN) is a very powerful live performance tool.

If you are not already familiar with it, take a look at This Article.

You can address multiple MIDI channels using this technique...but only one at a time.

PatAzz - 26 April 2016 01:49 AM

I recently bought a MOXF8, and plan to retire my Motif Rack XS.

With the Rack XS I setup this way:
- Rack XS Multis - 1 for each song
- I use two keyboards and merge them via a MIDI Merger box into the Motif Rack XS
- I use the different parts in the Multi, assign them to the appropriate channels (Ch 1 for my weighted keyboard, ch2 for my synth action keyboard, etc.).

With the MOXF 8, I want to do something similar, but as it has no “Multi’s” I’m confused as to whether I should use Masters, Songs, Song Mixes, or something else???....

To do something similar you can use the MOXF with a SONG or PATTERN associated with MASTER Mode, and MIDI your 2nd synth-action keyboard into the MOXF.

Activating ZONES in MASTER Mode allows you to assign up to (4) ZONES(PARTS) to multiple MIDI channels, addressed internally(MOXF), or externally(other keyboard), by way of separate MIDI channels...most importantly, at the same time.

If you are not already familiar with it, take a look at This Article, particularly the sections regarding SONG and PATTERN Modes associated with a MASTER.

As you work through the process, post questions back here as needed.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 28, 2016 @ 01:18 AM
PatAzz
Joined  01-25-2011

Will do. Thanks again for sticking with me.

I’ll go ahead and read through the articles. I guess I initially dismissed the “Quick Access” article as I thought it was more for quick changes between instruments, not for “orchestrated” songs like I have (with lots of splits and layers to get the sounds I need).

I’ll read both of the articles tonight and try to get it figured out tomorrow when I’m back in front of the keyboard.

I also bought both Phils Discovering the MOX video and the MOXF Ins n Outs video, but they don’t have any specific sections on how to setup these complex live examples.

When I get it figured out maybe I’ll put up a YouTube video showing how it’s done so others can gain from my (and your) experience.

Pat

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 28, 2016 @ 02:12 AM
cmayhle
Joined  10-05-2011
PatAzz - 28 April 2016 01:18 AM

...I’ll go ahead and read through the articles. I guess I initially dismissed the “Quick Access” article as I thought it was more for quick changes between instruments, not for “orchestrated” songs like I have (with lots of splits and layers to get the sounds I need)....

Well yes, it is for quick changes between PARTS...but can also be valuable for “lots of splits and layers to get the sounds....”

The key is:

In SONG or PATTERN Mode, your MIXING can address multiple MIDI channels...one channel at a time

Very important:  Splits and layers which occupy the same MIDI channel...with individualized note limits per PART defining the split or layer...will be instantly and seamlessly recalled, and the PARTS will all sound together, when you activate that particular MIDI Channel.

In SONG or PATTERN Mode associated with a MASTER, up to (4)ZONES can address up to (4) MIDI channels...at the same time...assigned to be triggered by either the MOXF or your other keyboard, as required...at the same time.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 28, 2016 @ 10:35 AM
PatAzz
Joined  01-25-2011

Thanks for the points. Read most of the

For me I am not as concerned about interrupted voices as I am about being able to organize my patches and layouts so that I can quickly move from song to song. Having used the Motif Rack XS Multis I’m used to the short “pause” as the synth reloads all the appropriate patches.

Here’s what I think I’ll do:

1. Create Performances for those songs that have 4 parts or less
2. Create songs for the ones that have more than 4 parts
3. Assign them to Masters so that I can quickly move from one to the next during the gigs (and rehearsals).

That said, I’m going go to work tonight on a set of songs that incorporate all of the scenarios above and make certain I understand them. Once that is done I may go ahead and create a video to show how it works as I haven’t been able to find anything on line that isn’t specific to recording or so generic that you can’t quickly apply it to my scenarios.

Stay tuned - and thanks for keeping up with this.

Pat

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 29, 2016 @ 01:26 AM
PatAzz
Joined  01-25-2011

Alright I’m making progress, and I’m starting to get the hang of it, but there are SO many differences between the Rack XS and the MOXF that it’s going to take a while to get it all put together, and I’ll start some additional threads if I can’t find the answers through search.

Thanks again for the help…

Pat

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 29, 2016 @ 03:39 AM
cmayhle
Joined  10-05-2011
PatAzz - 29 April 2016 01:26 AM

Alright I’m making progress, and I’m starting to get the hang of it, but there are SO many differences between the Rack XS and the MOXF that it’s going to take a while to get it all put together, and I’ll start some additional threads if I can’t find the answers through search.

Thanks again for the help…

Pat

Good!  Let us know if you come up against specific issues.

There are solutions to get where you would like to go.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Why do the Drums in the ARPs sound different?
Next Topic:

MOXF Arpeggio manager ››