mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "S90XS Using multiple MIDI ports with Cubase to overcome the 16-channel limit"

Posted on: March 23, 2016 @ 12:15 PM
MrWhiteKeys
Total Posts:  39
Joined  09-23-2011

I’d like to use a second USB MIDI port to gain another 16 channels for my S70XS/Cubase 5 DAW project. Cubase 5 allows me to instantiate multiple S90XS VSTi’s and even seems to allow me some limited port selection (see attachment), but I can’t figure out how to actually get a second VSTi working with my S70XS. Whenever I try to establish communication with the S70XS using the second VSTi, I get a port open error, even if the first VSTi is turned off.

I’ve never had any luck figuring out MIDI ports. Am I completely barking up the wrong tree here? It seems like multi-port capability on a synth offers multiple sets of 16 channels, but every time I’ve actually tried to take advantage of multiple ports, I’ve hit a dead end.

The S90XS manual is a little confusing on ports (at least to me) on ports. On p.37 it states that ‘the USB connection allows up to eight ports, letting you use up to 128 channels (8 ports x 16 channels) on your computer,’ but then goes on to say that the tone generator can only use port 1, that ports 2-5 are only used for special functions (DAW remote, editor, THRU, etc.).

That seems contradictory. It seems to be saying that I can use 8 ports for 128 channels on the S70XS, then says that the TG can only use port 1?

I’d appreciate any help/clarification you guys can offer me.

Image Attachments
S90 Data Ports 2016-03-23_105028.png
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 23, 2016 @ 03:09 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
MrWhiteKeys - 23 March 2016 12:15 PM

The S90XS manual is a little confusing on ports (at least to me) on ports. On p.37 it states that ‘the USB connection allows up to eight ports, letting you use up to 128 channels (8 ports x 16 channels) on your computer,’ but then goes on to say that the tone generator can only use port 1, that ports 2-5 are only used for special functions (DAW remote, editor, THRU, etc.).

That seems contradictory. It seems to be saying that I can use 8 ports for 128 channels on the S70XS, then says that the TG can only use port 1?

I’ve emphasized two things from your post. You seem to be conflating what can be done with USB MIDI ports on the computer with what the S70 XS is capable of.

The Tone Generator can be addressed on 16 MIDI channels via a single MIDI port. Cubase should be able to address other MIDI devices, hardware or software, if you have them.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 23, 2016 @ 04:03 PM
MrWhiteKeys
Total Posts:  39
Joined  09-23-2011
5pinDIN - 23 March 2016 03:09 PM

You seem to be conflating what can be done with USB MIDI ports on the computer with what the S70 XS is capable of.

Yes, I guess I was. The manual was pretty specific about the TG only using port 1, but I kinda hoped that when the S90 manual said I could use 8 ports, it might mean I could use 8 ports on the S90.

Oh well…

Thanks for the clarification!

[ Ignore ]