mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Parts not stored"

Posted on: December 11, 2015 @ 04:02 PM
Janderman
Total Posts:  10
Joined  12-11-2015

Hello, my problem: I want to work multitimbral with a MPC sequencer. From a multi i select edit. Then voice. Choose a sound with knob and arrows. Then store.... But after storing it isn’t always the sound I wanted. Maybe it is something foolish I’m doing wrong?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 11, 2015 @ 07:08 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

Welcome to the forum.

It’s difficult to say what you might be doing wrong, because you’ve told us very little.

Are you editing only via the Rack XS front panel, or are you using an Editor program on a computer?

What Parameters are you editing? Are you only selecting a different Voice for a Part, or are you changing other things?

What about the stored sound isn’t as you wanted? Are at least the Bank and Number correct for the Voice you chose?

The procedure for storing a Multi is covered on page 46 of the Motif-Rack XS Owner’s Manual.

Also see “Parameter with Voice” on page 94. It should be turned on before selecting a new Voice for a Part.

If those things don’t help, please answer the questions and give a complete description of how you’re editing and storing.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 13, 2015 @ 12:57 PM
Janderman
Joined  12-11-2015

Thank you 5pinDIN, I know it is not enough information. I bought the Motif XS rack some time ago, but didn’t have the time untill now to explore it. Maybe I want it to work too fast and I find the manual rather tiresome.  The rack didn’t come with the software on cd’s (which I noted too late) so I’m having a lot of trouble finding the right download versions of Studio Manager, stand alone Editor and usb-mididriver. I work with a Macbook with OS 10.6, Protools 9 with Digi 002R. For sequencing I use my much loved Akai MPC2000 and want the Motif to function as my main soundengine in multitimbral mode. This is how I’m trying to work: On the Rack frontpanel, from multi I choose Edit, then I choose a midichannel. Then Voice. I select with the knob a bank, enter and then choose a sound. then Store. Sometimes I succeed but sometimes I get a different sound. Maybe it’s easier with the editor, but I’m still trying to get this to work. From Studio Manager The Motif Rack can not be found, maybe the wrong Editor-version?  As you notice, I’m an absolute beginner, but maybe you can find the time to get me going…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 13, 2015 @ 03:00 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

You’re welcome - let’s see what can be done…

All downloads for the Motif-Rack XS:
http://download.yamaha.com/search/product/?site=usa.yamaha.com&category_id1=16244&product_id=774999

Specific downloads…
USB-MIDI driver for OS 10.6:
http://download.yamaha.com/file/57163

Motif-Rack XS Editor V1.3.0 for Mac OS X:
(For OS 10.6 under Studio Manager Version 2)
http://download.yamaha.com/file/21079

This might help if there’s still a problem after the correct software is installed:
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/462379/

From your description, I’m not sure why an edited Multi Part doesn’t store correctly. Is your Rack XS running the most recent firmware? See:
http://download.yamaha.com/file/21032

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 13, 2015 @ 07:16 PM
Janderman
Joined  12-11-2015

Thank you, 5pinDIN,
I will use your links to install the drivers and also try to find out what I am doing wrong with the storing of the multiparts. I will let you know how it works out!  Thanks, greetings, Janderman

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 13, 2015 @ 07:30 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
Janderman - 13 December 2015 07:16 PM

Thank you, 5pinDIN,
I will use your links to install the drivers and also try to find out what I am doing wrong with the storing of the multiparts. I will let you know how it works out!  Thanks, greetings, Janderman

You’re welcome.

By the way, if you need to update the Rack XS firmware…
The Yamaha information indicates usage of Cubase to send the 8F39OS_.PGM.mid file, but that isn’t the only way. Any MIDI software that can reliably send a .MID file (sequence) to the Rack should be sufficient. I’d suggest that before trying to do a firmware update, verify that a long sequence plays correctly using the software with the Rack.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 17, 2015 @ 09:02 AM
Janderman
Joined  12-11-2015

Thank you again, 5pinDin, I finally figured it all out and it’s working! Apart from the fact that I can’t use my masterkeyboard (midi-connected via AkaiMPC to XS Rack) because when I use the Editor, the Rack has to be in “USB” instead of “Midi” in the general settings. So I use “Audition” in the Editor to hear the sounds instead of playing on my keyboard. I guess there’s a solution (midi out from keyboard to Digi Port 1 and select that in STudio Manager) but I can’t get it done. Oh well, I’m not complaining, you helped me a lot!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 17, 2015 @ 10:46 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

Proper routing of MIDI data will allow a device connected to the 5-pin-DIN ports to control the Rack. That can be done even when MIDI In/Out is “USB” - it’s a matter of configuring the Ports in the Editor. See the Port 3 information under MIDI channels and MIDI Ports on page 18 of the Owner’s Manual.

This might help  :-)
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/474784/

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 10, 2016 @ 08:36 PM
Janderman
Joined  12-11-2015

Hello again 5pinDIN,
I’m still having problems with storing on my Motif xs rack. I really start to believe there’s something wrong with it. I will start with a simple question, can’t find an answer in the manual. Are global settings like the Quick Setup choice (1,2,3) and the buffer receive interval stored after power down?  Also, the storing of multis on my Akai MPC2000 and the recalling of it isn’t working correct. Arpeggio settings are lost and e.g. the name of the multi doesn’t always “come back”. Is it possible that something is wrong with the internal RAM , low backup battery or else?  Thanks!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 11, 2016 @ 12:57 PM
meatballfulton
Total Posts:  3022
Joined  01-25-2005
Janderman - 10 March 2016 08:36 PM

Are global settings like the Quick Setup choice (1,2,3) and the buffer receive interval stored after power down?

Only if you save them first.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 11, 2016 @ 02:00 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
Janderman - 10 March 2016 08:36 PM

Hello again 5pinDIN,
I’m still having problems with storing on my Motif xs rack. I really start to believe there’s something wrong with it. I will start with a simple question, can’t find an answer in the manual. Are global settings like the Quick Setup choice (1,2,3)

I have a Motif XS6 and an XF6. On neither one is the Quick Setup number choice retained after the power is turned off. However, while the number of the setting isn’t retained, the settings themselves are. I doubt the Rack XS is supposed to act differently.

Janderman -

and the buffer receive interval stored after power down?

I presume you’re referring to the “Bulk Interval” setting (0, 10ms, etc.) On my XS6 and XF6 that setting is retained, but as with all Utility Mode settings, only if [STORE] is pressed after the setting is made.

Janderman -

Also, the storing of multis on my Akai MPC2000 and the recalling of it isn’t working correct. Arpeggio settings are lost and e.g. the name of the multi doesn’t always “come back”. Is it possible that something is wrong with the internal RAM , low backup battery or else?  Thanks!

That would seem to be a function of the MPC2000, but unfortunately I’m not sufficiently familiar with its operation to help with it.

[ Ignore ]