mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Using Motif ES and Korg Kronos together"

Posted on: February 29, 2016 @ 05:52 PM
Till2875
Total Posts:  6
Joined  05-15-2004

Hi there! I posted this on a Korg forum also, (not much help there)...I’m hoping i can get some help with my set-up that I’ve hit a road block with...gonna be a long post cause of all the necessary details but hopefully someone out there can give me some insight. I recently purchased a 61 key Kronos to pair with my 76 key Motif ES. I would like to use the Kronos as the master controller to access the motif sounds and play them. Although i’ve been using the Motif for several years and have a full library of performances (combis) built, i’d like to start fresh now that the Kronos is in the picture and have both sound banks @ my disposal. I also want to set it up where sounds from either board can be layered and split on either keyboard bed within combi mode..... I basically want the motif keybed (and controllers) to be an extension of the Kronos’ keybed, and the Motif sound module to be considerd as an external sound source (in song mode; 16 parts available). I want sustain and expression pedal control to come from the Kronos. (essentially 137 key keyboard, 2 Sound modules, building splits and layers in combi) Heres The set-up:

•Motif local control off, send & recieve channel 1
•Kronos global channel 1
•Motif midi out>Kronos midi in ( to send control messages)
•Kronos midi out>Motif midi in via merge box ( to send program changes)
•Kronos mid thru>Motif midi in via merge box ( to send control messages from the motif, thru the Kronos, back to the Motif to play Motif sound module)
• Motif Keybed pushed down to its lowest oct possible (-3), Kronos keybed raised (+3)
• combi mode (Kronos) and song mode (Motif) are parallel i.e. midi channels on both boards are same. (ex. Kronos Voice 3 in combi mode set to Ext.2 will play channel 3 on Motif in Song mode)

This works on a basic level. Kronos sounds set on channel 1 play on either keybed and can be tweaked and adjusted accordingly. but there are 2 main issues when it comes to manipulating Voices within the motif:

• motif sounds can be tweaked and adjusted (transpose for example) in combi mode and translate correctly on the Kronos bed but the motif bed wont reflect the same changes

• the motif keybed will only play whatever motif midi channel is highlighted in song mode( this ones a bit hard to explain and may be a Motif limitation)

I was hoping to do all the work inside the Kronos; build all the patches in combi mode without ever having to really look @ the Motif. these 2 set backs are pretty major and would limit my options cosiderably. Im hoping i over looked something and maybe someone can point me in the right direction, or tell me what im trying to do is impossible so i can move on to an alternative solution. thanks in advance for any help!!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 01, 2016 @ 06:54 AM
meatballfulton
Total Posts:  3022
Joined  01-25-2005
Till2875 - 29 February 2016 05:52 PM

• motif sounds can be tweaked and adjusted (transpose for example) in combi mode and translate correctly on the Kronos bed but the motif bed wont reflect the same changes

• the motif keybed will only play whatever motif midi channel is highlighted in song mode( this ones a bit hard to explain and may be a Motif limitation)

These both seem normal to me.

For the first one, if I understand you correctly you are setting transpose in the Korg combi for a part that is on the Motif. That only controls the MIDI data sent from the Korg keyboard not data sent by the Motif looped back through the Korg. If I misunderstood, let me know.

For the second one, that is totally normal behavior for a Motif when in song or pattern mode. Think about it, the idea is that when sequencing you want the keyboard to control the currently selected track. If you want the Motif to be able to play more than one part at the same time, those parts must be on the same MIDI channel in the song/pattern.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 02, 2016 @ 12:00 AM
Till2875
Total Posts:  6
Joined  05-15-2004

Thanks for the reply! I assumed as much, just wanted some verification so I can move on and quit trying to trouble shoot.....

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Converting Song/Pattern to MIDI without ES present
Next Topic:

Using Yamaha Studio Manager ››