mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Part 1-2 Link"

Posted on: February 18, 2016 @ 04:28 PM
stephen21
Total Posts:  21
Joined  10-09-2006

From the manual:

When the [PART 1-2 LINK] button is set to on (lamp lights):
The functions of Knobs [A] – [D] are applied to both Parts 1 and 2.

I have a 2 keyboard setup: top board is MX49, bottom board is an 88 key MIDI controller that I am using to trigger the MX49 sounds. 

In my performances, the sustain pedal, the PB wheel, and the Mod wheel are currently only affecting the top board.

When [Part 1-2 LINK] is set to on, the knobs [A] - [D] *DO INDEED* affect both parts (the MX49 and the 88 key MIDI controller.)

My question is: Is there a way to link it so that the sustain pedal, the PB wheel, and the Mod wheel will (in the same manner as the Part 1-2 Link) be applied to not just the MX49 but also the 88 key controller?

Thanks everyone for your help!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 19, 2016 @ 12:58 PM
stephen21
Joined  10-09-2006

Anybody? Can Mod wheel/PB wheel/Sustain Pedal control more than one part?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 19, 2016 @ 02:05 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

It’s unclear (at least to me) how you have your gear configured. Please explain in detail the MIDI connection between the MX and the controller, where the sustain pedal is plugged in, which PB and MW you’re operating, what MIDI channels are assigned to what Parts, etc.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 19, 2016 @ 02:15 PM
benj00
Total Posts:  113
Joined  06-03-2011

Yeah,agreed....

Which midi controller are you using ? Which Parts in a Performance do you want it to control? Remember there are 16 Parts in a Performance, each with a fixed midi channel.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 19, 2016 @ 03:43 PM
stephen21
Joined  10-09-2006

ok, thank you, here is more detail:

MX49 --> USB --> Macbook (Ableton)
Casio CDP100 --> MIDI --> Komplete Audio 6
Komplete Audio 6 --> USB --> Macbook (Ableton)

The Performances in MX49 are basically 2 MIDI channels, channel 1 being triggered by the MX49, and MIDI channel 2 being triggered by the Casio. I have an external instrument on a MIDI track in Ableton (I renamed the track Casio) and on the track itself I have MIDI From: Komplete Audio 6 (Channel 1), and in the external instrument device I have MIDI To: MX49 Port 1 (Channel 2.)

As I noted above, when I engage the [Part 1-2 LINK] I can control control resonance, chorus, reverb, etc on both parts of the Performance, that is MIDI channels 1 & 2, therefore either of the 2 boards (MX49 or Casio.) Since that functionality works across the 2 boards (MIDI channel 1& 2), it got me thinking, well, why wouldn’t other functionality (i.e. Mod wheel, PB wheel, sustain pedal) work across two the two boards (MIDI channels 1& 2.)

**Also, the sustain pedal is currently affecting the part of whichever keyboard it is plugged into.  If I have it plugged into the MX49, when depressed, it will only sustain the notes on the MX49 (MIDI channel 1.) Similarly, if I have it plugged into the Casio, when depressed, it will only sustain the notes on the Casio (MIDI channel 2.) So, the Sustain Pedal is a little different, in that the mod wheel/PB wheel are fixed to the MX49, whereas the Sustain pedal is not.  But my goal is the same for all: that they (Mod wheel, PB wheel, Sustain pedal) would not just affect the voice on MIDI channel 1 in the performance, but that they would affect the voices on MIDI channel 1 & 2 in a Performance simultaneously (just as [Part 1-2 Link] makes the knobs affect both MIDI channels 1 & 2 simultaneously.)

Thanks again for your assistance and God bless!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 20, 2016 @ 12:21 AM
stephen21
Joined  10-09-2006

Maybe it will help if I simplify it.  Imagine *any* dual keyboard midi setup where (for example) the MX is on top and the other MIDI keyboard is on the bottom.  Performances from the MX are sending channel 1 voice to the MX on top and channel 2 voices via MIDI to the bottom board. 

My question is, Is it *ever* possible for the mod wheel and PB wheel on the MX to control *not only* the Performance voice on MIDI channel 1 (the MX49), *but also* the voice on MIDI channel 2 (the second keyboard.)

Thank you all!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 21, 2016 @ 11:40 PM
stephen21
Joined  10-09-2006

Anybody? Can Mod wheel/PB wheel control more than one part simultaneously?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 22, 2016 @ 04:45 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
stephen21 - 21 February 2016 11:40 PM

Anybody? Can Mod wheel/PB wheel control more than one part simultaneously?

Sorry, I’ve been otherwise occupied.

MW (and other controllers) and PB fall under the category of MIDI Channel Voice Messages…
http://www.indiana.edu/~emusic/etext/MIDI/chapter3_MIDI4.shtml

If such control wasn’t limited to a single channel, the result would be both unpredictable and probably discordant.

I don’t believe there’s any way to force the issue in the MX, where the two Parts are on two different MIDI channels.

MIDI events can be processed, and it might be possible to rechannel the messages in software, especially if MW and PB control was via the Casio.

[ Ignore ]