mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Montage 6, 7 or 8? That is the question"

Posted on: February 11, 2016 @ 12:48 AM
davlippo7
Total Posts:  252
Joined  10-06-2010

What’s the consensus? If the price spread is $500 between units then what’s the most logical size to purchase? I have the CP1 with 88 amazing feeling wooden keys so I was considering just the M6 but the CP1 doesn’t have after-touch that I know of. Is that a deal breaker & how much of the synth experience will be lost without the after-touch?

With 88 keys on the M8 you could really get a sense of the dynamic range of FMX but then you have to deal with the clunky weighted keys.

The M7 is a compromise but then you’re paying $500 for 15 keys or $33 dollars a key.

I had the Tyros 5 and those keys were a little toy-like, I mean just okay but that’s probably how they are supposed to be with an organ feel.

Of course the M8 will stay put so I’m not looking for portability.

For the sake of increased range and enormity I’m leaning toward the M8. However, if I already had an 88 key with after-touch I’d probably get the M6 to save the cash. Any other suggestions or insights?

I always thought the jump from 6 to 7 should more realistically be better proportioned with only a $300 increase in price. Then from 7 to 8 with a $700 jump. It seems to me like Yamaha is always cheating the “7” owners because the keys are exactly the same. It’s like the “7” is more desirable so they make it more profitable for them and then make the “6” more appealing on the low end. I’ve never believed that 15 more keys cost them $500 more dollars. I rebuild all of their synths and there’s not much difference between the 61 and 76 to warrant a $500 increase.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 14, 2016 @ 12:50 PM
motidave
Total Posts:  426
Joined  10-03-2010
davlippo7 - 11 February 2016 12:48 AM

What’s the consensus? If the price spread is $500 between units then what’s the most logical size to purchase? I have the CP1 with 88 amazing feeling wooden keys so I was considering just the M6 but the CP1 doesn’t have after-touch that I know of. Is that a deal breaker & how much of the synth experience will be lost without the after-touch?

With 88 keys on the M8 you could really get a sense of the dynamic range of FMX but then you have to deal with the clunky weighted keys.

The M7 is a compromise but then you’re paying $500 for 15 keys or $33 dollars a key.

I had the Tyros 5 and those keys were a little toy-like, I mean just okay but that’s probably how they are supposed to be with an organ feel.

Of course the M8 will stay put so I’m not looking for portability.

For the sake of increased range and enormity I’m leaning toward the M8. However, if I already had an 88 key with after-touch I’d probably get the M6 to save the cash. Any other suggestions or insights?

I always thought the jump from 6 to 7 should more realistically be better proportioned with only a $300 increase in price. Then from 7 to 8 with a $700 jump. It seems to me like Yamaha is always cheating the “7” owners because the keys are exactly the same. It’s like the “7” is more desirable so they make it more profitable for them and then make the “6” more appealing on the low end. I’ve never believed that 15 more keys cost them $500 more dollars. I rebuild all of their synths and there’s not much difference between the 61 and 76 to warrant a $500 increase.

I had the same decision with XF and got the 7.  6 just comes up short for me for all the splits I like to set up.  I can’t play synth on a weighted 88 plus it’s heavy for gigging.  Trade off is I have to play piano on semi weighted.  But you already have an 88 ...

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 14, 2016 @ 03:34 PM
davlippo7
Joined  10-06-2010

I had the same decision with XF and got the 7.  6 just comes up short for me for all the splits I like to set up.  I can’t play synth on a weighted 88 plus it’s heavy for gigging.  Trade off is I have to play piano on semi weighted.  But you already have an 88 ...

That’s called the Yamaha “Gotcha” effect with the 76 key version and they know it. This is why the 7s are always overpriced by about $200. If you’ll notice that Korg does not take advantage for their mid range option. In fact, they give you weighted keys and the price spread is more reasonable and is a more properly proportion price jump. They could actually price it higher with the weighted keys but don’t. I know it’s 3 keys shy of 76. Yamaha has always overpriced the 7s and it’s lame-o. It’s not like we all don’t notice it.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 15, 2016 @ 02:19 PM
motidave
Joined  10-03-2010

I don’t know if its a gotcha or not.  I was grateful Yamaha bothered to take the time to make a 70-key XF variant for me.  alot of other manufacturers just tell me to go F myself and either buy their 61 key synth action or 88 hammer fully weighted beast.

then again, I called a buddy at GC and got a big reduction from MSRP.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 16, 2016 @ 02:19 AM
KMKKEYS
Total Posts:  141
Joined  02-16-2009

I would love to carry around an 88 key weighted keyboard.  Common sense, however, tells me to stick with a 61 note keyboard as I have to transport it, set it up, and then when I am finished, I have to put it into a case, that adds more weight, and put it into my vehicle by myself.

Seems that no one is around when keyboard players need help. :)

With octave buttons on most keyboards, I don’t need an 88 note keyboard.

Kenny

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 16, 2016 @ 12:47 PM
davlippo7
Joined  10-06-2010
KMKKEYS - 16 February 2016 02:19 AM

I would love to carry around an 88 key weighted keyboard.  Common sense, however, tells me to stick with a 61 note keyboard as I have to transport it, set it up, and then when I am finished, I have to put it into a case, that adds more weight, and put it into my vehicle by myself.

Kenny

The CP4 is somewhat portable at 38LB especially for an 88 key with real wooden keys. The 61 key variety is always the best value of course. You don’t lose any features and you save a bundle and it will fit in relatively small places. The 76 is not a good deal (Yamaha only)and the 88 is great for the studio.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 16, 2016 @ 06:11 PM
motidave
Joined  10-03-2010
davlippo7 - 16 February 2016 12:47 PM
KMKKEYS - 16 February 2016 02:19 AM

Kenny

The CP4 is somewhat portable at 38LB especially for an 88 key with real wooden keys. The 61 key variety is always the best value of course. You don’t lose any features and you save a bundle and it will fit in relatively small places. The 76 is not a good deal (Yamaha only)and the 88 is great for the studio.

thats one opinion ... the M7 gives another octave.  thats important for some.  its critical to me and how I perform using a single board.  I don’t want a weighted bed, as I play 80% synth vs 20% mechanical pianos.  the 6 doesn’t fit my minimum requirements - it has zero value to me.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 16, 2016 @ 06:41 PM
KMKKEYS
Total Posts:  141
Joined  02-16-2009

I think you’re right, to each his own.  I certainly have larger boards than 61 keys, to include an older, but still great sounding Yamaha Clavinova with 88 weighted keys and has maybe 10 total sounds.

For me and my travels, however, I use 61 keys mostly due to what fits into my vehicle.

I used to gig with my Kurzweil K2600.  Great board, but with it in it’s case, it weighs a ton. (not literally, but you get the picture)

I have the urge to buy a new keyboard at this time as I am a gear slut.  The Montage looks interesting, but I’ll wait to put my hands on one before I consider it.  The Kurzweil Forte, sounds incredible, but when it comes to programming any Kurz, at least for me, it seems impossible.

Kenny

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 16, 2016 @ 11:56 PM
davlippo7
Joined  10-06-2010

“thats one opinion ... the M7 gives another octave.  thats important for some.  its critical to me and how I perform using a single board.  I don’t want a weighted bed, as I play 80% synth vs 20% mechanical pianos.  the 6 doesn’t fit my minimum requirements - it has zero value to me.”

Don’t get me wrong as I prefer 76 keys but my point with Yamaha is that they charge disproportionately for the M7. They get your point and so they charge more and you receive less. The price increase should only be $300 from the M6 up to M7 like Korg does but Yamaha charges the full $500 for 15 more keys. The keys are the same, nothing else is different. It’s lame to price gouge on the 76 models.

I realize that the 88 have only 12 more keys above the 76 but those keys are weighted and the 88 is a beast. The price jump is justifiable on the 88. If you must have 76 keys then you’ll have to pay a premium and it doesn’t seem fair to me.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 17, 2016 @ 12:30 AM
stoneb3
Total Posts:  851
Joined  06-05-2011
KMKKEYS - 16 February 2016 06:41 PM

I have the urge to buy a new keyboard at this time as I am a gear slut.
Kenny

Nothing wrong with that in fact it’s perfectly normal, secretly admired by those who don’t share in the sport.
Yesterday I passed on an old Multi Vox unit, maybe around thirty keys, unknown model. Pristine orange and black with a sound that was horrid when it worked. I’ve never seen one and for 75 bucks I’ll likely go back and grab it.
I figure it’s better than ceramic roosters and frogs in the kitchen.

Stone

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 17, 2016 @ 01:14 AM
Way_ne
Total Posts:  1291
Joined  01-26-2003

Anyone got some oil for this squeaky wheel?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 21, 2016 @ 11:07 AM
lordbachus
Total Posts:  85
Joined  08-28-2009

I think i will go for the Montage module version…
Would be perfect for my Kronos88, Tyros5/76 combination

Unless yamaha comes with a Tyros5 module…

Ponding my head againast the wall, i dont want to miss any of my 2 instruments
I want a Montage to add to that (also have an integra7 and a nordlead4 rack)
But i dont want more then 2 keys in my setup..

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 21, 2016 @ 04:56 PM
davlippo7
Joined  10-06-2010
lordbachus - 21 February 2016 11:07 AM

You already have the best money can buy. I’m not sure the Montage will contribute much else to those (2) units unless you like the live performance conveniences. I used to own both of those units but I sold them. The Montage seems to be headed for the live performer niche in the market and/or the DAW station hub. I doubt that it can make any sounds that exceed the Tyros 5 or the Kronos. FM/DX has been done to death for the past 30 years and AWM2 can’t top the Tyros 5 sample technology. I’ve always understood that the Motif was trickle down technology from the Tyros and the Montage is likely the very same deal. I’m sure it sounds better but probably not significantly better. It’s more about the way the sound “moves” or is animated. For some reason I seem to prefer the hardware synth slightly over the soft synth although I’m not exactly sure why. The implemented analog circuitry and balanced outs was probably Yamaha’s attempt to provide a more improved sound quality over Kronos. Well see how that works out. Since I don’t own any except the CP1, I’ve got the Montage on pre-order just to see what it’s all about. The more demos I watch I could probably go either way, cancel it or keep it. I just like to mess around with new gear.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 21, 2016 @ 05:39 PM
lordbachus
Total Posts:  85
Joined  08-28-2009
davlippo7 - 21 February 2016 04:56 PM
lordbachus - 21 February 2016 11:07 AM

You already have the best money can buy. I’m not sure the Montage will contribute much else to those (2) units unless you like the live performance conveniences. I used to own both of those units but I sold them. The Montage seems to be headed for the live performer niche in the market and/or the DAW station hub. I doubt that it can make any sounds that exceed the Tyros 5 or the Kronos. FM/DX has been done to death for the past 30 years and AWM2 can’t top the Tyros 5 sample technology. I’ve always understood that the Motif was trickle down technology from the Tyros and the Montage is likely the very same deal. I’m sure it sounds better but probably not significantly better. It’s more about the way the sound “moves” or is animated. For some reason I seem to prefer the hardware synth slightly over the soft synth although I’m not exactly sure why. The implemented analog circuitry and balanced outs was probably Yamaha’s attempt to provide a more improved sound quality over Kronos. Well see how that works out. Since I don’t own any except the CP1, I’ve got the Montage on pre-order just to see what it’s all about. The more demos I watch I could probably go either way, cancel it or keep it. I just like to mess around with new gear.

Precisely that last sentence tells you why i would like to toy around with the Montage… Seems there is quite some new and exciting stuff with the FM-X and the motion sequencing..

I agree with you that the Kronos/Tyros5 combo is probably as good as it gets and there is not much i cant do with it..however, Karma and Kronos still are a challenge to program, the interface shows the technollogy is almost a decade old (oasys).

For just sit and play however nothing beats the Tyros5, combined with the presets of the Kronos..

But when it comes to the future, i can envision myself sitting in my homestudio with the Montage 8, and my DAW also running vArranger, Karma as wel as my VST collection..  It might be a challenge to get everything to work as a single integrated instrument… All depends on how good the Montage daw integration will be...not just from a recording pov, but also from a performing pov..

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Rest In Peace My Brother
Next Topic:

Hopes for a productive & healthy Motifator ››