mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Stereo Rig or Keyboard Amp …. another perspective"

Posted on: February 08, 2015 @ 07:01 PM
kevin
Total Posts:  86
Joined  11-13-2003

I know this topic has been hashed over MANY times but I’d like to add a dimension that I don’t believe has been addressed.

My Traynor Bloc100 keyboard amp (yep a “dreaded keyboard amp” .. Bad Mister : ) has treated me well over the last 30 years but with the purchase of my new S70XS I think I’d like to move to a stereo set-up for live performance. I’ve seen lot’s of talk about the Stagepas systems and It seems most people think this, or another small PA system, is the way to go. 

My question is with the actual physical set up on stage.  I play with a 7-piece classic rock horn band and many times there is barely enough room for us.  I don’t believe I’ve ever seen the talk on this board about amplification take in to account limited space on many stages.  Sometimes I even have to stack my amp on top of the bass players cabinet just to fit in the space allotted.

How do those of you who use the Stagepas or other stereo rigs set up on stage? 

Any thoughts??

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 09, 2015 @ 12:45 PM
BeeRad
Total Posts:  123
Joined  10-17-2006

I have been playing in stereo onstage with an 8 piece soul/funk/pop band for ten years.  I have an S90ES, a Nord C1, and a Motif XS6 stacked in front of me (hey, if you don’t play well, at least have good equipment!).  On each side of me, on the floor sometimes or one up on stand facing across back line (and keeping me in stereo) I use Mackie SRM350 powered wedge types.  I am happy.....the band in front of house is mono.  No one cares but me about being in stereo....but I can’t enjoy playing without it!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 10, 2015 @ 06:02 PM
kevin
Joined  11-13-2003

Thanks for the reply.  I still think it’s gonna be tough finding room on small stages for two speaker cabs rather that one combo amp.  I’m going to experiment this afternoon with some powered speakers I have here and see if the difference would be worth the trouble and cost of moving to a stereo rig.

I’ll post my findings.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 13, 2015 @ 01:06 PM
kevin
Joined  11-13-2003

Ok - I tried using two Alto SMX112 powered wedges stacked on top of each other.  First of all, I realize that this positioning is not the best for true stereo but as I said in my original post, I think I may have to sacrifice SOME stereo for room on stage.  Secondly, I also realize that the Altos are not recognized as the best speaker on the market. Try them ... I think you’ll be surprised.

The two Altos, running through a 4 channel mixer in stereo, definitely sound better than my mono Traynor Bloc100 keyboard amp from where I was sitting ... about six feet from the speakers.  However, when I activated an arpeggio and walked around the room it hit me that the Alto wedges are “short throw”.  They sounded nice from my position at the keyboard but as soon as I moved further than six feet away the highs dropped out considerably. 

I thought about the StagePas but, again, I’m concerned about space on smaller stages.

If anyone can shed some light on how the Traynor K4 sounds or even a Motion Sound that would be great.  Neither one of these amps are readily available to demo at local music stores. 

Lastly, I have this thing about using anything smaller than a 12” speaker for keyboards. It’s a rock band and I have to keep up with everyone else.  How do the newer 10’s sound?  I really don’t want to lose that bottom end of an acoustic piano voice. 

Kevin

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 12, 2016 @ 09:04 PM
kvt
Total Posts:  78
Joined  04-30-2011

I don’t use two identical stereo monitors but still get reasonably nice stereo field and space by using combination of my keyboard amp and stage monitor from sound engineer!

I use Gallien Kruegher Amp on left side and I ask my sound engineer to set up my monitor (mostly QSC K12) on my right and ask them to feed sound from Right Channel to my monitor. I feed audio to my Keyboard AMP (via DI BOX)from Left channel and than balance the volume of keyboard amp in a such a way that I feel Centre of space!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: March 22, 2016 @ 11:15 AM
piano-player
Total Posts:  51
Joined  02-21-2012

Hi!

I use a pair of vintage IKEA speaker stands to tilt my monitors, they fold rather flat in my keyboard-case so there’s nothing extra to carry to the gig.

I just place them to the right and left of myself and tilt my monitors more or less depending on if I’m sitting or standing.

I use a pair of Yamaha MS60S as monitors on stage(predecessors to the stagepas). They are 8 inch speakers but if placed right so the sound is aimed straight towards my ears they deliver enough sound to make me hear myself very well in our 19-piece rock-band. Aiming the sound towards your ears or not makes all the difference!

Hence, my rig does not occupy more space on the stage than I would do without my monitors.

Kind regards from Sweden

Image Attachments
speaker stand.jpg
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 13, 2020 @ 04:20 PM
muscarella
Total Posts:  542
Joined  11-01-2003

I have a Stage Pas system and it’s OK for the occasional small gig or when I’m just singing with a jazz pianist and we need a little bump.

But the Stage Pas does not have the response or clarity that I’d want to blend in with a full band. If you just want to hear some true stereo for your own pleasure, the Stage Pas is easy and has a small footprint but I’d want my signal going through the PA (mono or stereo) just for the sonic quality.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Stereo stage monitors
Next Topic:

Sending Performance Parts as separate channels ››