mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Older voices and arpeggios, new user to a Motif ES7"

Posted on: February 03, 2016 @ 09:11 AM
e.laforge
Total Posts:  41
Joined  02-03-2016

Hi all,

my original Motif 6 was stolen with a bunch of my other gear and I bought myself a new (old) Motif ES7.

I didn’t receive any CDs with it, or original manuals. I did find the manuals online, but where can I find the content CDs? I understand those CDs come with the older voices from the Motif Classic, which I miss, and also come voices from S90, etc?

I’d highly appreciate if someone could help me get those!

1. do I need to modify my ES7 in any way in order to load those older voices? will it be possible to put them permanently on the board?

2. I really love the new arps provided in the ES7. is there any way to expand on those? maybe download new interesting performance arpeggios online?

3. I read online that there supposed to be around 1700 arps on the ES, but I actually see a little more than 200. what am I doing wrong?

Thank you so much in advance.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 03, 2016 @ 04:23 PM
nbadesign
Total Posts:  994
Joined  08-20-2007

e.laforge - 03 February 2016 09:11 AM

Hi all,

my original Motif 6 was stolen with a bunch of my other gear and I bought myself a new (old) Motif ES7.

I didn’t receive any CDs with it, or original manuals. I did find the manuals online, but where can I find the content CDs? I understand those CDs come with the older voices from the Motif Classic, which I miss, and also come voices from S90, etc?

I’d highly appreciate if someone could help me get those!

1. do I need to modify my ES7 in any way in order to load those older voices? will it be possible to put them permanently on the board?

Content CDs contains manuals, software (the latest versions could be found at downloads.yamaha.com) and some additional voice banks including those with external samples. For those you will need to install DIMM memory and use sampler. Voices are not from Motif classic, but for ES. There is nice piano voice from S90ES. Unfortunately no one including me is permitted to share content of those CDs, since they are under license. Although you are receiving them free with instrument, you have to (and could) buy them from your Yamaha distributor. Since ES have only RAM memory for sampling, voices that contains samples should be loaded always when you power up your keyboard. That’s why XF and MOXF are significant step forward by incorporating flash memory and having external samples immediately after powering keyboard.

2. I really love the new arps provided in the ES7. is there any way to expand on those? maybe download new interesting performance arpeggios online?

3. I read online that there supposed to be around 1700 arps on the ES, but I actually see a little more than 200. what am I doing wrong?

Thank you so much in advance.

There are 1700 arps in ES and you could load 256 more as user arps. I suppose that you are just looking to the user bank, not to preset arps. Some voices that could be found on Motifator contains additional arps that are saved to the user bank. One example is Axxe voice bank with guitar voices and additional and very interesting arps.

Alex

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 03, 2016 @ 04:33 PM
e.laforge
Joined  02-03-2016

Voices are not from Motif classic, but for ES. There is nice piano voice from S90ES. Unfortunately no one including me is permitted to share content of those CDs, since they are under license. Although you are receiving them free with instrument, you have to (and could) buy them from your Yamaha distributor.

Thank you for the quick reply. but, I understood that when the ES was released it was backwards compatible with the original Motif, allowing users the option to load the Motif Classic voices on to the ES. for example the PowerGrand. I want that one again, and some of the others.
so how can I get these voices? are you sure they aren’t included on those CDs? where else if not?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 03, 2016 @ 04:33 PM
e.laforge
Joined  02-03-2016

double post

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 03, 2016 @ 06:34 PM
nbadesign
Total Posts:  994
Joined  08-20-2007

Yes, lot of users like PowerGrand from classic Motif. I also have it on my MOXF loaded into the flash.
I have all classic voices in ES format, since I still have ES6. I will check on my backup HDDs to see where they are and I will send you.

Alex

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 03, 2016 @ 08:09 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010

See:
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/475794
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/476348

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 03, 2016 @ 08:38 PM
e.laforge
Joined  02-03-2016

nbadesign, thank you so much! I’ll send you my email address in private. I’ve been hoping to hear that I’ll be able to get the classic voices.

5pinDIN, thanks a bunch as well, this CD does look interesting and it’s still obtainable! I’m gonna get one. but apparently, it doesn’t include the original voices? it sounds odd, because googling around a bit and the Yamaha forums, seems like the reps state that the classic voices were supplied or were optional? couldn’t understand what’s going on. hopefully someone could shed some light over this.

meanwhile, can anyone advice me what sort of memory (dimm) I should buy?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 03, 2016 @ 09:21 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
e.laforge - 03 February 2016 08:38 PM

5pinDIN, thanks a bunch as well, this CD does look interesting and it’s still obtainable! I’m gonna get one. but apparently, it doesn’t include the original voices? it sounds odd, because googling around a bit and the Yamaha forums, seems like the reps state that the classic voices were supplied or were optional? couldn’t understand what’s going on. hopefully someone could shed some light over this.

Voices can either be based on Waveforms/Samples in the ROM, or on ones that are loaded to SDRAM (DIMMs). In the first case, they might not sound like they did on earlier models, because the samples used aren’t identical. In the second case, if the original samples are available, the Voices should sound pretty close. I don’t know exactly what’s on the CD.

SDRAM is volatile, and sample data loaded to DIMMs will be lost each time the Motif is powered down. If desired, Auto Load can be used to restore the samples each time the ES is powered up.

e.laforge -

meanwhile, can anyone advice me what sort of memory (dimm) I should buy?

See page 289 of the ES Owner’s Manual.

Although the manual indicates that 1 pair of 256MB DIMMs (512MB total) is maximum, actually a pair or 512MB (1GB total) can be used.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 07, 2016 @ 05:13 AM
e.laforge
Joined  02-03-2016

Thank you.

I ordered a gig of RAM and the Yamaha CD.

Just a quick question, when I load voices or performances, usually when it’s an “All” file, how can I decide on which slots in the user bank they will be written into? because I have some of my own presets there, which I don’t want to have overwritten?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 07, 2016 @ 09:48 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

You’re Welcome.

Just a quick clarification, so we’re talking about the same thing…
“Presets” are factory Voices in locations you can’t change.
“User” locations contain Voices, etc., that you can determine.

You can load individual Voices and Performances to locations of your choice. See pages 87 and 92-83 of the ES Owner’s Manual for details. I suggest that you make a backup “All” file before loading new data, so if anything goes wrong you can reload yours.

Performances don’t contain Voice data - they only point to locations in Voice Banks. If you load a Performance that uses Preset Voices, it will play correctly. However, if the Performance requires User Voices, you have to make sure those Voices are in the correct locations - if not, the Performance won’t sound right. That can be corrected by either loading the needed User Voices to the locations pointed to, or editing the Performance to point to the correct Voice locations.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 27, 2016 @ 02:26 AM
e.laforge
Joined  02-03-2016

I purchased X4219B0R CD ROM SL 74MIN MOTIF ES6

and loaded the sounds in my Motif ES. The brass sounds are really, really good! Trumpets sound much better than the stock ES, or what I had on the Motif Classic. What are those sounds? where do they originate?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 28, 2016 @ 08:07 AM
meatballfulton
Total Posts:  3022
Joined  01-25-2005

e.laforge,

We have no idea what that CD might be or where the sounds came from.

Why are you interested? You already have the sounds!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: June 28, 2016 @ 08:16 AM
e.laforge
Joined  02-03-2016

This is the CD that came with the Motif ES new, with banks of sounds that include the original PowerGrand from the Motif Classic.

Still, I’m interested to know where they originate from because the PowerGrand is indeed from the Classic, but many others sound much better than anything I had on my classic (now ES).

[ Ignore ]