mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "The MOXF does not reach the MIDI Velocity 127 easily"

Posted on: November 27, 2015 @ 02:52 PM
henriquematos@hotmail.com
Total Posts:  3
Joined  11-26-2015

Hi dears,

When I use MOXF as a MIDI controller, I noticed that the velocity parameter almost never reaches the value 127, even pressing the keys with extreme force.

I could observe this by inserting the MIDI monitor into a midi track on Cubase.

Does anyone have any experience on this? I did the same test using other manufacturers and models so i noticed that in them the velocity can reach 127 much easier. This could be a bug in MOXF?

Best regards

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 27, 2015 @ 03:03 PM
callmejs
Total Posts:  18
Joined  07-21-2014
henriquematos@hotmail.com - 27 November 2015 02:52 PM

Hi dears,

When I use MOXF as a MIDI controller, I noticed that the velocity parameter almost never reaches the value 127, even pressing the keys with extreme force.

I could observe this by inserting the MIDI monitor into a midi track on Cubase.

Does anyone have any experience on this? I did the same test using other manufacturers and models noticed that the velocity can reach 127 much easier. This could be a bug in MOXF?

Best regards

Not a bug, a feature.  You can change the “sensitivity” of the keyboard through the velocity curve option (Reference Manual, page 140).  Not near my keyboard but from the manual:

Utility -> F1 -> SF3 -> VelCurve

Settings: norm, soft, hard, wide, fixed
norm (normal).... This linear “curve” produces one-to-one correspondence between the strength of your keyboard playing
(velocity) and the actual sound change.

soft..................... This curve provides increased response, especially for lower velocities.

hard ................... This curve provides increased response, especially for higher velocities.

wide ................... This curve accentuates your playing strength by producing lower velocities in response to softer playing and
louder velocities in response to harder playing. As such, you can use this setting to expand your dynamic
range.

fixed................... This setting produces the same amount of sound change (set in Fixed Velocity below), no matter what your
playing strength. The velocity of the notes you play are fixed at the value set here.

Unless you have a problem with the velocity sensor, going to a softer value should fix it for you.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 27, 2015 @ 04:41 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
henriquematos@hotmail.com - 27 November 2015 02:52 PM

[...]
When I use MOXF as a MIDI controller, I noticed that the velocity parameter almost never reaches the value 127, even pressing the keys with extreme force.[...]

Welcome to the forum.

As you likely know, MIDI velocity has a range of 0(zero) to 127, and inability to reach 127 will limit some dynamics. However, it should never be too easy to hit that level either, because dynamics will also be lost if there are too many notes at 127 velocity.

Under ideal conditions, 127 should be just reachable with the most effort you’re comfortable playing at. Since everyone strikes the keys with a different force, the MOXF can be adjusted globally as callmejs has posted. Setting the Velocity Curve to “soft” might be all you need to do.

If that isn’t sufficient, Cubase has an Input Transformer setting that allows the velocity of incoming MIDI note data to be multiplied by a factor of your choice.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 01, 2015 @ 03:31 PM
Joined  11-26-2015

Thank you callmejs and 5pinDIN.

I tried already use the soft settings, hard, normal. However even so to reach 127 is very difficult. I compared it to other keyboards and controllers and notice that they reach 127 easily, so it seemed at first like a bug.

I realized this situation because of a Brass Kontakt instrument that is set to make the fall only when the velocity message reaches 127. In other keyboards this effect occurs except in MOXF6. So I knew that could be a bug. Again, even adjusting the sensitivity of the keyboard.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 01, 2015 @ 07:58 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

I don’t own a MOXF - I have a Motif XF and an XS. When I first got the XS, even after setting the Velocity Curve to “soft”, I had significant difficulty hitting 127 velocity. Other users had posted about the same thing.

You might find this thread interesting:
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/444235/
Try to ignore the snark from some of the participants.

For me that’s mostly no longer the case (although it still requires somewhat more effort than I’d like), but I’m not sure why. I see only two possibilities…

1) My playing has gotten better/stronger
--- or ---
2) Yamaha changed things in the firmware (which I have updated each time a new version became available)

I honestly don’t know which has happened, since I haven’t reloaded older OS versions to check.

I have a couple of questions…
Is yours a MOXF6 or MOXF8?
Which OS version is installed?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 02, 2015 @ 07:05 AM
Joined  11-26-2015

Hello 5pinDIN

I have a MOXF6 with 1.10 OS version.

I could see that this behavior is also happening with friends who also have the MOXF6 and MOXF8

thanks so much for your reply.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 02, 2015 @ 09:28 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
henriquematos@hotmail.com - 02 December 2015 07:05 AM

Hello 5pinDIN

I have a MOXF6 with 1.10 OS version.

I could see that this behavior is also happening with friends who also have the MOXF6 and MOXF8

Since you have the most recent OS, all you and others can do is bring the situation to Yamaha’s attention, and hope they address it with an OS update. If not, internal MOXF Voices can be edited if needed, while external applications often provide for scaling of incoming key velocity.

If connecting via 5-pin DIN (not USB), a device such as http://www.midisolutions.com/prodvel.htm (and power adapter) can help.

henriquematos@hotmail.com -

thanks so much for your reply.

You’re welcome.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 02, 2015 @ 02:36 PM
pblais
Total Posts:  95
Joined  03-05-2015
5pinDIN - 02 December 2015 09:28 AM

If connecting via 5-pin DIN (not USB), a device such as http://www.midisolutions.com/prodvel.htm (and power adapter) can help.

Before I sold/traded my Rack XS and my M-Audio keyboard for a Moxf8, I bought one of those velocity converters from Midi Solultions.  It works like a champ and you can make any velocity curve you want.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Motif XS Sounds
Next Topic:

Organ with Insertion (Rotary) Effect in a Performance ››