mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Unit Multiply - Hearing no change?"

Posted on: November 14, 2015 @ 03:30 AM
muscarella
Total Posts:  542
Joined  11-01-2003

A few years back Bad Mister described to me why Unit Multiply may not be working as it’s supposed to.  He suggested I check in Utility and put MIDI clock source to Internal. 

I looked up my old post and apparently (don’t remember details) I changed MIDI clock to Internal and reported back to Bad Mister that I was now hearing the Unit Multiply effect. 

So it’s been a while. I’m back trying tweak a drum fill arpeggio and once again Unit Multiply seems to do nothing, 50% sounds same as 100%. I remembered that I’d done a Factory Reset and I remembered the posting from a few years ago, so I went into the Utilities, changed the MIDI clock to Internal and.... Unit Multiply still doesn’t change the arp.

Am I missing something?  And, while we’re at it, does MOX default to Auto MIDI clock in Factory mode?  Why would that be if it makes a feature like Unit Multiply unoperable? What is Auto vs Internal vs External anyway?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 14, 2015 @ 10:15 AM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
muscarella - 14 November 2015 03:30 AM

A few years back Bad Mister described to me why Unit Multiply may not be working as it’s supposed to.  He suggested I check in Utility and put MIDI clock source to Internal. 

I looked up my old post and apparently (don’t remember details) I changed MIDI clock to Internal and reported back to Bad Mister that I was now hearing the Unit Multiply effect.

I presume this is the thread you’re referring to:
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/470631/

muscarella -

So it’s been a while. I’m back trying tweak a drum fill arpeggio and once again Unit Multiply seems to do nothing, 50% sounds same as 100%. I remembered that I’d done a Factory Reset and I remembered the posting from a few years ago, so I went into the Utilities, changed the MIDI clock to Internal and.... Unit Multiply still doesn’t change the arp.

Am I missing something?  And, while we’re at it, does MOX default to Auto MIDI clock in Factory mode?  Why would that be if it makes a feature like Unit Multiply unoperable? What is Auto vs Internal vs External anyway?

I’ve got a Motif XS and XF, and the following is based on their operation. The MOX might be different, although I’d be surprised if that’s the case.

When I do a factory reset, MIDI Sync is set to Internal, and Unit Multiply works correctly - I can’t make it not function properly unless I change the MIDI Sync setting.

See page 149 of the MOX Reference Manual for explanations of the MIDI Sync modes.

Do you have the MOX externally connected via MIDI to anything?

Have you tried doing a factory reset (save an “All” file first)?

Which Drum Voice and/or Arp are you using?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 14, 2015 @ 12:52 PM
muscarella
Total Posts:  542
Joined  11-01-2003

I will try to track some of those things down. I also can’t imagine some of those basic Motif-centric things would be different model to model. I have nothing else hooked up or thru the MOX. It’s just the keyboard.

I thought perhaps it was because a Drum Arp was User vs Preset and I’d done something with the Play FX menu. But when it malfunctions, it’s on either or both kinds. 

It seems my MIDI sync is getting changed to Auto now and then for some reason unrelated to Factory Reset. For now I will assume the MIDI sync setting is the only reason the Unit Multiply would lose it’s function and try to see why/when that happens.

I don’t use Unit Multiply much for the reason that it changes every Arp for that part, not just the one Arp I’m trying to tinker with. Is that everyone else’s experience of Unit Multiply. Why would I want to change that parameter in every Arp running in my Performance Part?  I ask because I’m wondering now if there is something else about Unit Multiply I’m not understanding, too.

Thanks.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 14, 2015 @ 03:57 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
muscarella - 14 November 2015 12:52 PM

I will try to track some of those things down. I also can’t imagine some of those basic Motif-centric things would be different model to model. I have nothing else hooked up or thru the MOX. It’s just the keyboard.

I thought perhaps it was because a Drum Arp was User vs Preset and I’d done something with the Play FX menu. But when it malfunctions, it’s on either or both kinds. 

It seems my MIDI sync is getting changed to Auto now and then for some reason unrelated to Factory Reset. For now I will assume the MIDI sync setting is the only reason the Unit Multiply would lose it’s function and try to see why/when that happens.

Since MIDI Sync is a Utility mode system setting, it’s saved as part of an “All” file. Therefore, any “All” file that’s loaded has the potential for changing MIDI Sync to whatever it was when that file was saved. Unchecking the “with System” box when loading an “All” file will prevent such changes.

Also, changes to MIDI Sync (along with several other settings) occur if Quick Setups are selected. See pages 151-152 of the MOX Reference Manual. If you want to use the MOX independent of external MIDI control, Quick Setup 4 “Stand Alone” accomplishes that (MIDI Sync will be set to internal).

muscarella -

I don’t use Unit Multiply much for the reason that it changes every Arp for that part, not just the one Arp I’m trying to tinker with. Is that everyone else’s experience of Unit Multiply. Why would I want to change that parameter in every Arp running in my Performance Part?  I ask because I’m wondering now if there is something else about Unit Multiply I’m not understanding, too.

Unit Multiply does indeed apply per Part, not per individual Arp. However, you could use it to change an Arp’s tempo to what you want, record the Arp playing at that tempo into a Song or Pattern (possibly using direct Performance Record), then use the Song or Pattern Jobs “Put Track To Arp” to create a User Arp. The User Arp will play at the tempo you recorded it, without the need to change Unit Multiply from 100%.

This also might be helpful:
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/support/view/mox6_mox8_painting_drum_arpeggios_to_the_sequencer

muscarella -

Thanks.

You’re welcome.

[ Ignore ]