mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Yamaha MOXF dedicated button for voice category selection - missing?"

Posted on: October 10, 2015 @ 09:37 AM
K-Player
Total Posts:  13
Joined  10-10-2015

Hello,

I’m in the mood of getting a new portable workstation to use when I’m visiting my girlfriend. And for some studio work.

I’m considering either the MOX or Korg Kross/Krome.

As I do not want to mess with my laptop when I’m away from the studio, I’m trying to find a workstation with which has mostly ‘hands on’ functions on its layout.

As MOX6 has 8 endless encoders, and that’s no brainier reason for me to give Yamaha money this time.

But unlike both Korg Kross/Krome, it doesn’t have a dedicated 1-16 buttons labeled for voice category selection. Now that is a deal breaker for me.

Because I’m a bit tired of menus and sub-menus when doing a voice selection on computer.

So my question: Is it possible to somehow assigning or address MOX6 1-16 buttons to use as a voice category selection?

In the same fashion as its little brother MX61 has?

That would be awesome.

Please let me know.

Cheers!

Image Attachments
sc.PNG
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 11, 2015 @ 04:20 PM
jazz.preest
Total Posts:  263
Joined  06-06-2013

Welcome to the forum!

As you referenced both the MOX and MOXF, I’ll assume you are considering buying either.

On page 14 of the MOX Owner’s Manual, the following guidance is provided (will be the same guidance for either the MOX or MOXF):

[CATEGORY SEARCH] button (page 25)
In the Voice/Performance Part Edit/Song/Pattern mode, turn this button on to call up the Category Search display of the Voice assigned to the current Part. In this status, the [A] – [H] buttons can be used for selecting the Main Category of the Voice.
In the Performance mode (except for the Part Edit mode), turn on this button to call up the Category Search display of the current Performance. In this status, the [A] – [H] buttons can be used for selecting the Main Category of the Performance.

Suggest going to your local GuitarCenter store ( if at all possible). Sit down and experiment on a MOXF (it has the same layout and high-level functionality as the MOX).  For instance, press the [VOICE] mode button, then the [CATEGORY SEARCH] button, then press the [A] button a few times.  Observe the information on the LCD screen.  Try the [B] thru [H] buttons.

If you decide to buy either a MOX or MOXF, if the [VOICE]s are most important to you, consider creating labels for the [A] thru [H] buttons that describe the [VOICE] categories.  Another approach is to create templates with cutouts for the [A] thru [H] buttons that reflect the step in your Composition workflow, e.g. both VOICE and PERFORMANCE categories.

As a further example of how to “configure” your keyboard, I have created templates with cutouts for the lower 16 buttons (below the [A] thru [H] buttons) to organize how I compose in the PATTERN mode, e.g.
- when composing Pop tunes, e.g. INTRO, VERSE1, PRE-CHORUS, CHORUS, VERSE2, VERSE3, BREAK, OUTRO
- when composing Electronic Dance Music (EDM) tunes, e.g. INTRO, BUILD, DROP, BREAKDOWN, BUILD2, DROP2, BREAKDOWN2 , etc.

Cheers.

P.S. If you are buying used, and you have the funds, recommend you think about buying a MOXF.  I have a MOX, and am satisfied with it, however, would like to have the additional polyphony, simultaneous INSERT effects, MASTER mode volume control functionality and - especially - the class-compliant USB midi/audio connection to the iPad (!).  Am weighing upgrading to either the MOXF or the Motif XF given the current Yamaha promotions; have to decide whether the “MOXF-to-iPad” feature outweighs Motif XF “better keyboard/sampling/16 channels of audio” features...probably will depend on overall cost.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 11, 2015 @ 05:21 PM
K-Player
Joined  10-10-2015
jazz.preest - 11 October 2015 04:20 PM

Welcome to the forum!

As you referenced both the MOX and MOXF, I’ll assume you are considering buying either.

Thanks for your answer!

My question was actually related to MOXF, as MX61 do clearly have voice Category Search category labels.

I found this in MOXF manual:

Group [A] – [H] buttons
Use these buttons to select the desired Group of Voices/
Performances. When the [CATEGORY SEARCH] button is
turned on, these buttons can be used to select a category.
When the [QUICK SETUP] button is turned on, these buttons
can be used to select a Quick Setup.

This is just wonderful! So, I guess there is no difference in regards to MX61 - beside that I’m “only” getting a 8 (?) buttons instead of 16 for Category Search + that they are unlabeled.

Maybe its Group [A] – [H] buttons can be switched to show the missing (second row) of voice category’s?

I guess it is a fair trade-off.

Thank you for your input, you opened my eyes on this matter :)

Cheers.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 11, 2015 @ 05:29 PM
K-Player
Joined  10-10-2015
jazz.preest - 11 October 2015 04:20 PM

If you decide to buy either a MOX or MOXF, if the [VOICE]s are most important to you, consider creating labels for the [A] thru [H] buttons that describe the [VOICE] categories.  Another approach is to create templates with cutouts for the [A] thru [H] buttons that reflect the step in your Composition workflow, e.g. both VOICE and PERFORMANCE categories.

As a further example of how to “configure” your keyboard, I have created templates with cutouts for the lower 16 buttons (below the [A] thru [H] buttons) to organize how I compose in the PATTERN mode, e.g.
- when composing Pop tunes, e.g. INTRO, VERSE1, PRE-CHORUS, CHORUS, VERSE2, VERSE3, BREAK, OUTRO
- when composing Electronic Dance Music (EDM) tunes, e.g. INTRO, BUILD, DROP, BREAKDOWN, BUILD2, DROP2, BREAKDOWN2 , etc.

Clever things to improve the workflow! Every function has its dedicated button. That means a lot when performing on stage. Especial for EDM stuff.

Well done, I just need to find a place to demo the beast.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 11, 2015 @ 06:52 PM
jazz.preest
Total Posts:  263
Joined  06-06-2013

Thanks for your answer!

Quite welcome, K-Player.

Maybe its Group [A] – [H] buttons can be switched to show the missing (second row) of voice category’s?

Yes.  While In the [VOICE] mode, after pressing the [CATEGORY SEARCH] button, pressing any of the [A] thru [H] buttons once will select the first instrument category; pressing twice will select the second instrument category assigned to that button.

Note that if in the PERFORMANCE mode, after pressing the [CATEGORY SEARCH] button, pressing the [A] etc. buttons will select a PERFORMANCE genre.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 11, 2015 @ 09:40 PM
K-Player
Joined  10-10-2015

---

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 06, 2015 @ 09:43 PM
muscarella
Total Posts:  542
Joined  11-01-2003

What is the Master Mode volume feature on MOXF that is not on MOX?

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Creating midi files
Next Topic:

Recording audio in a DAW. ››