mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Sound output issue from the Right output"

Posted on: August 29, 2015 @ 07:54 AM
neel_tankpac
Total Posts:  44
Joined  08-04-2012

Hi Guys,

Not sure if anyone has faced this issue. Really not able to figure out why its happening. Whenever I am plugging in both the L and R cables on the main output the sound starts to crackle. I checked the sound output through the headphones output on the MOTIF but it seems to be perfectly fine. I also tried to check the output from only the L output and there is no crackling, only when the R output is connected the sound begins to crackle.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 29, 2015 @ 12:25 PM
MrMotif
Total Posts:  1122
Joined  10-02-2002

Have you checked your cable, or the amp/mixer input on where the cable is going?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 29, 2015 @ 02:35 PM
neel_tankpac
Joined  08-04-2012

Actually I had a recent gig and the keyboard was locked up in the flight case for a while, just today I tried plugging it back in and saw this issue. I generally use a mixer and the mixer’s output are connected to the monitors. I tried all permutations and combinations even directly connected the monitors to the motif but its the same result. Actually if I directly connect the L output to a mono input on the mixer it sounds fine, but as soon as I do L and R together as stereo channel to the mixer , it just seems some output of the R leaks to the L as well ( I can see on the mixer master display ) and the whole sound just seems to crackle . And I tried only R as a mono, and its the same crackling noise.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 29, 2015 @ 10:49 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
neel_tankpac - 29 August 2015 02:35 PM

Actually I had a recent gig and the keyboard was locked up in the flight case for a while, just today I tried plugging it back in and saw this issue. I generally use a mixer and the mixer’s output are connected to the monitors. I tried all permutations and combinations even directly connected the monitors to the motif but its the same result. Actually if I directly connect the L output to a mono input on the mixer it sounds fine, but as soon as I do L and R together as stereo channel to the mixer , it just seems some output of the R leaks to the L as well ( I can see on the mixer master display ) and the whole sound just seems to crackle . And I tried only R as a mono, and its the same crackling noise.

I suspect one or more leaky output muting transistors. See:
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/461702/
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/472531/
http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/475333/

My theory (meaning I haven’t proven it) is that such a failure is due to connecting the Motif to inputs that have phantom power turned on.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 30, 2015 @ 10:39 AM
neel_tankpac
Joined  08-04-2012

Like always 5pinDIN you are a saviour :).
I tried to use the Assignable L&R;outputs and sounds pretty good as it used to sound earlier. I don’t have a multimeter handy else would have tried to measure the voltages. I had a doubt though that during the gig something was wrongly plugged in the outputs as I had a tough time monitoring the sound on stage.
I just hope the repair center guys can fix this issue.

Thanks again :)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 30, 2015 @ 09:08 PM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
neel_tankpac - 30 August 2015 10:39 AM

[...]I just hope the repair center guys can fix this issue.

It’s not a difficult repair. A competent technician shouldn’t have trouble doing it.

neel_tankpac -

Thanks again :)

You’re welcome.

By the way, if you need to use the XF before the repair is done, the PHONES output can be used (with an appropriate cable, of course) in place of the line outputs. Make sure the sound system inputs aren’t supplying phantom power, since the headphone outputs also have muting transistors.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 23, 2015 @ 09:54 AM
neel_tankpac
Joined  08-04-2012

Hi 5pinDin,

The service guys near place are not ready to change any components instead they want to change the complete Jack board, they said some IC is gone. Now I have been waiting for the board since quite sometime now, but it’s still unavailable at the service center. Can you direct me to some website which sells these parts in India.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 23, 2015 @ 10:33 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010

Sorry, I know nothing about parts availability in India.

By the way, was the problem evident at the PHONES output?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 23, 2015 @ 10:43 AM
neel_tankpac
Joined  08-04-2012

No there was no issue in phone jack. In fact I used a voltmeter to check outputs from all the ports..

1. Phone : 0V
2. Line : 1.1V I think if I remember correctly from both
3. Assignable: 0V

Do you know any website in the US ? I can ask my friends to collect n ship it to me

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 23, 2015 @ 11:19 AM
5pinDIN
Joined  09-16-2010
neel_tankpac - 23 September 2015 10:43 AM

No there was no issue in phone jack. In fact I used a voltmeter to check outputs from all the ports..

1. Phone : 0V
2. Line : 1.1V I think if I remember correctly from both
3. Assignable: 0V

Based on that, there should be no bad ICs (unless the place you took the XF to damaged something). The problem as you’ve described and the voltages you measured are completely consistent with leaky muting transistors. Unfortunately, some technicians don’t do component level repairs. It appears that the “service guys” just don’t want to (or don’t know how to) change a couple of small surface mounted transistors.

neel_tankpac -

Do you know any website in the US ? I can ask my friends to collect n ship it to me

https://www.yamaha24x7.com/YamahaOMSMI/Landing.aspx

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 23, 2015 @ 11:23 AM
neel_tankpac
Joined  08-04-2012

You are very right about the point that some service centers avoid doing component level servicing, unfortunately that’s exactly what my service center told me.

So is there any way it can be ordered in USA ?

Sorry missed the last part of your reply :)

[ Ignore ]