mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Gain problem on the main stereo output…help."

Posted on: February 01, 2010 @ 07:31 AM
Talltoub
Total Posts:  8
Joined  05-17-2005

Hi all,

It is 2 days that i try to solve the problem but with no succes.

Let me tell you about It.

My rack is connected via the main steréo output to a Yam AW16G recorder..

when using the rack in stereo mode there is an important gain lost on the left channel. actually using the Rack in mono mode with one 6.35 jack in the left output every thing is fine. But as soon as i insert a jack in the right channel to get the stereo, gain goes very down on the left connector.

I tried with balanced / unbalanced connectors, on every insert of the AW16G , it’s the same thing. all parameters are Ok in the Rack & the stereo headphones outpout works great. No electrical schok occurs as far as i know. Removing the left jack does not affect the Right output gain...Both output work Ok with the same level when used individually. I’ll test later via optical connection...Of course , every pan are ok in the rack & in the AW16g
I finally tried to connect the Rack directly to my monitors, & the problem is the same.
I’m afraid of a major dysfunction of the rack but i’d like your advices before contacting Yamaha support.

Thank’s for your help & sorry for my so bad english.
Best regards from France
Talltoub

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 01, 2010 @ 04:08 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Removing the left jack does not affect the Right output gain...Both output work Ok with the same level when used individually.

This is the most puzzling item in your post (and, by the way, your English is fine, really).

Removing the left jack should actually affect the right output. Sounds like you are using the wrong type of cable. When you use only one cable and plug it into the LEFT jack (L/MONO) both channels of the stereo are (phase coherently) combined to the Left output.

Plugging a cable only into the Right output should not give you anything but the right channel and should sound different - as if something were missing. So they SHOULD NOT output the same level when used individually.

As an experiment (bypass the EFFECTS) then pan something all the way right… Plug in just the left cable - you will still hear the item panned all the way right.
Now, pan something all the way left… Plug in just the right channel - you will NOT hear the item that is panned all the way left.

Please make sure you are using a standard guitar type (Phone plug), unbalanced cable.
“TS” - this means Tip-Sleeve.
Not TRS - Tip-Ring-Sleeve

TS = oui!
TRS = non!

Hope that helps.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 02, 2010 @ 07:03 AM
Talltoub
Total Posts:  8
Joined  05-17-2005

Thank’s Bad_Mister for your help.

I’m 99.99 % sure of the cables i use, & they are very new..
I tried yesterday the stereo optical output & it works great. So i think that the stereo signal routing is fine in the Machine.

However i’ll try later what you suggested me & of course let you now. May be i’ll try to make pictures & post them on this forum if possible…

But i’m more & more afraid of an electrical or physical problem in the Rack…

I saw other posts on this forum about identical problems with other motif machines…

Thank’s again.
Best regards.

Talltoub

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 07, 2010 @ 03:33 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Sorry, but I do not think you have understood. You mentioned you tried with ‘balanced’ cables… this would be wrong, as the outputs of the Motif-Rack ES are not balanced… Balanced cables would be TRS (Tip-Ring-Sleeve) so why would you try this if you know about the cables (new or not) this would be an incorrect connection.

Let us know.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 23, 2015 @ 10:18 AM
mgiorda
Total Posts:  1
Joined  05-23-2015

Hello!

I have a similar problem with my motif rack es. I’m using unbalanced connectors, when I connect only one cable at the Left(mono) main output the sound is right. But when I connect two cables (left and right) simultaneously, the system sends only audio by Right output and the left output stop working. If I disconnect the right output again then the left output sends audio again.

I checked the optical out and works perfectly as well to the headphone output.

Can you help me with this please?

Thanks!!!

I apologize for my English. I’m from Argentina

Mariano

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 23, 2015 @ 12:58 PM
5pinDIN
Total Posts:  11891
Joined  09-16-2010
mgiorda - 23 May 2015 10:18 AM

Hello!

I have a similar problem with my motif rack es. I’m using unbalanced connectors, when I connect only one cable at the Left(mono) main output the sound is right.

Welcome to the forum.

The R output jack has switching contacts built in - when no plug is inserted in the R jack, the right channel audio is connected to the L/MONO jack. Normally, you would hear a mix of left and right channel when connected only to the L/MONO jack. In this case, you are apparently hearing only the right channel audio, although it’s coming out of the L/MONO jack.

mgiorda -

But when I connect two cables (left and right) simultaneously, the system sends only audio by Right output and the left output stop working. If I disconnect the right output again then the left output sends audio again.

When you plug cables into both jacks, the switched connection from the R to the L/MONO jack is no longer made - each of the outputs works separately. You then hear what is really happening - the right channel main output is working, the left channel is not.

mgiorda -

I checked the optical out and works perfectly as well to the headphone output.

Since the headphone output is OK, there are only a very few components which can cause the left channel main output to not work. There could be a defective coupling capacitor, or a bad muting transistor. Checking the muting transistor can usually be done from outside the Rack unit. Do you have a DC voltmeter?

mgiorda -

Can you help me with this please?

Thanks!!!

I apologize for my English. I’m from Argentina

Mariano

Let us know if you have a meter available. If not, there are other ways to help diagnose the problem.

By the way, your English is quite good and easily understood.

[ Ignore ]