mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Folder Creation on PC for files for Yamaha Motif XS"

Posted on: July 15, 2010 @ 10:09 PM
sonu2die4
Total Posts:  65
Joined  05-03-2010

Hi,

I am a little stuck while I was looking to create a folder for storing files for Motif XS. My motif is connected to my desktop via

1) Ethernet Cable
2) USB cable

1) The Ethernet cable is connected to the Motif XS. the cable is a crossover cable. I have assigned IP’s to both Desktop and Motif XS.
I could also Ping to the Motif from the desktop.

2) The Desktop is connected to the Motif as well. I have tested that it is working as I have made the Studio manager to sync with the Motif in the voice mode.

I want is to create a Folder on the Desktop(The OS is on a NTFS).
I want to access this folder either via the Ethernet or from the USB.

The File Server on the Motif is set to ‘ON’.Please helpr me with this or please refer me to a pointer for the same.

Thank You

Vivek

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 16, 2010 @ 04:40 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

For help with any computer related issue, it is necessary to mention what computer it is and operating system you are using.

Also helpful would be the Operation System (Firmware) of your Motif XS.

In general, if you are using Windows XP, file sharing is working bi-directionally… however,

There is a “known issue"… The following from the official Motif XS Updater page:

Known Issues;
-File sharing for accessing the computer of the systems below from the MOTIF XS* will not function correctly. The functionality for accessing the MOTIF XS from a computer will function correctly.

- Windows Vista
- Mac OS X 10.4.11 or later, and 10.5.4 or later

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 16, 2010 @ 02:44 PM
sonu2die4
Joined  05-03-2010

Hi,

The Desktop OS is Win XP
The Motif OS version is 1.5.5

Thank You

Vivek

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 16, 2010 @ 04:53 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

If you are running XP you should be able to set this up.

1) The Ethernet cable is connected to the Motif XS. the cable is a crossover cable. I have assigned IP’s to both Desktop and Motif XS.
I could also Ping to the Motif from the desktop.

Not exactly sure I understand what you are saying here and what it has to do with setting up the Network…

From the manual:
The MOTIF XS can be connected to a LAN network via an ETHERNET cable. When the MOTIF XS is connected to the LAN network, the File mode lets you save the file created on the MOTIF XS to the computer drive connected to the same network.

Connect the MOTIF XS to the router or hub with a LAN cable. Connect a computer to the router or hub with a LAN cable or
the wireless connection.
note: Make sure to use a straight LAN cable.
note: Due to EU regulations, users within Europe should use an STP (shielded twisted pair) cable to prevent electromagnetic interference.
note: If your computer is not equipped with an ETHERNET connector, install a commercially available LAN adaptor to the PCI slot or PC Card slot of your computer.
note: If you have a broadband router to connect your computer to the Internet, use an unused ETHERNET connector on the router to connect the MOTIF XS. Keep in mind however, that this does not allow you the MOTIF XS to be connected to the Internet, but only to other computers and drives on the network.

via ETHERNET
The Motif XS can access the computer - it can save and load files to any “SHARED” folder or “SHARED Drive” connected to that computer. You must, however, “share” it - go to PROPERTIES of that folder or that drive and make sure you set the SHARING parameters so you can share it on a network. XP puts an icon of an open palm hand holding the folder icon.

The computer can access a drive that is connected to the “TO DEVICE” port of the Motif XS. So you can literally drag a file from your computer onto the USB stick while it is connected to your Motif XS. You can also copy data from that drive directly on to the computer.

via USB
When you connect the Motif XS via the “TO HOST” port, you are connecting to a computer for MIDI communication… and MIDI communication only. This includes Note-On, Controller, Tempo, and REMOTE control functions.

The Motif XS’s USB “TO DEVICE” port only connects to USB drives for storage and/or real-time audio RECORD/PLAYBACK. You do not connect the TO DEVICE port to a computer. Never/ever to a computer.

Image Attachments
SignalFlow.JPG
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 17, 2010 @ 12:43 AM
sonu2die4
Joined  05-03-2010

Thank You. I got it to work. I created a shared folder on the Desktop PC running Win XP. I had problems as the password was 4 characters not the recommended 5-8 characters.

Create a shared folder on Desktop running Windows XP and give it a name with full permissions.Since I had already got the Desktop and Motif XS to communicate over an Ethernet Cross Cable , On the Windows XP side,Under the “Workgroup” i saw my Motif’s Hostname i.e “MOTIF_XS-25828a” in my case. Then on the Motif XS side , Under the Utility ---> Network-->Password needs to be set. Remember please set password anywhere between 5-8 characters. Then I set up the File Server to be “ON”. Then is set File Server Account.  This will be my username to log into the Motif XS and in to the Desktop PC.

Now on Motif XS press File---> Mount. On the host field, enter the IP of the Desktop PC and the Press enter. Now You will be able to see the shared folder. If you have more than one Shared folders they will also be displayed.

On the Desktop PC, under “Workgropup” Folder click the icon for the “MOTIF_XS-25828a”. Enter the username entered into the File Server Account field and password entered into the Password field unter the Networking menu on the Motif XS.

Incidentally, out of curosity , I opened the display template template file from yamaha’s web site. There was a neat document which showed me how to access Yamaha Motif XS from the PC. That doc pointed that my passcode should be between 5-8 units. I was entering 4 digits. However, Motif never seemed to complain about passwords @ 4 in length.

I have attached the document for people as a reference.

/Vivek

File Attachments
motifxs_en_om_e1.pdf  (File Size: 12089KB - Downloads: 260)
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 17, 2010 @ 12:12 PM
bgrosse
Total Posts:  465
Joined  07-06-2009

I have not been able to get my XS6 to communicate with my PC via ethernet and I am stumped on the Motif side.
When I go to [Utility] -> F1 -> SF3 and press PASSWORD, I do not get the CHAR option SF6 for entering a new password.
So I can’t change the NONE password and turn on File Server.

I am running OS Ver 1.56.3 and I wonder if this upgrade changed things as the CHAR option used to be there when I first received this keyboard.

Any suggestions?

Bill G

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 19, 2010 @ 01:20 PM
sonu2die4
Joined  05-03-2010

When I go to [Utility] -> F1 -> SF3 and press PASSWORD, I do not get the CHAR option SF6 for entering a new password.
So I can’t change the NONE password and turn on File Server.

I had the same problem. Ok so here is the solution. Please press PASSWORD. Now if you are the setting the password for the first time please the old password field will be ‘NONE’. Now till this step you will not see ‘CHAR’ tab. Now please press “DOWN” arrow and jump to the NEw Password field. To your amazement you will find the ‘char’ tab. :)

Hope it helps.

/Vivek

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 07, 2011 @ 10:10 PM
pdreer
Total Posts:  2
Joined  03-09-2011

Can you run an ethernet cable directly between motif xs and pc? or do i need a router?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 22, 2015 @ 05:02 PM
drhevilla
Total Posts:  5
Joined  03-23-2010

Hi

What about win 7 and Motif XS &?

I tried every combination and does not work.

When in MOUNT tab I type the IP and ask me for a password....I type the one already set within UTILITY/NETWORK tab and ...no success

What am I doing Wrong???

Thanks

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Effects help!
Next Topic:

Drums and MLAN ››