mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Changing Mix of one Pattern in Pattern Mode"

Posted on: May 19, 2015 @ 07:11 PM
muscarella
Total Posts:  542
Joined  11-01-2003

I have a SONG. It’s all mixed and sounding how I like it. I’ve Split to Pattern the whole Song as Pattern 1, Section A.

Section B I’ve Split to Pattern 1, but only the main groove for soloing over in a loop. Works fine, sounds fine. 

For Section C I’ve Split to Section C, the bridge/turn around of the song, also for soloing over. These five measures have a Horn Section (Tracks 11 thru 14). 

For Section D of the Pattern I’ve Split only the last Verse and Ending.

Since Section B and C are for soloing over, I want to lose the Horns in Section C, just keep the bass, drums, piano comping. 

I went into the Mix of Section C and cleared Tracks 11-14 only to find that I’d also now cleared those same Parts from All the Sections, A,B & D. Put it all back, tried just Muting, Volume Only. Same problem. 

Thinking I’d outwit the machine, I went back to Song mode, moved just those five Bridge measures to a separate Song slot, cleared the horn parts in that Mix, Saved it, then Split it over to the Pattern/Section C. All my Sections lose the Horn tracks.

Is there no way to achieve what I want?  Or am I missing a step somewhere along the line?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 20, 2015 @ 03:33 AM
jazz.preest
Total Posts:  263
Joined  06-06-2013
muscarella - 19 May 2015 07:11 PM

...Since Section B and C are for soloing over, I want to lose the Horns in Section C, just keep the bass, drums, piano comping…

I went into the Mix of Section C and cleared Tracks 11-14 ...

Muscarella,

I believe you want to work in the Pattern mode, not the Mixing mode.

In general, each PATTERN SECTION does not have its own MIX, the entire PATTERN (as well as SONG) has a MIX that all SECTIONs share.  So when you “clear"(i.e. initialize) tracks, the entire PATTERN (and all its SECTIONs) is impacted.

AS I understand it, you want the “horns” not to play while you are solo’ing over the SECTION C backing tracks; in other words, you want the horn players to rest during this section of the sheet music.

* Get into the PATTERN mode, not the MIXING mode associated with the PATTERN
Press the [PATTERN] mode button

* Activate the PATTERN SECTION you want, e.g. SECTION C
Press the [PATTERN SECTION] button

Press [BUTTON 3] (SECTION C when PATTERN SECTION button is lit)

* Activate the PATTERN Patch grid
Press the LCD menu [Patch] button (Function Key 3)

* Clear the patches from the tracks 11-14
Cursor to Track 11
Press the [Clear] button (SubFunction Key 5]

Repeat for Tracks 12-14

Press [STORE],[ENTER],[ENTER]You should be good to go.

A few thoughts:
- The MIXING mode creates / layers the “Band” and its environment; when a VOICE is assigned to a MIX track, a MIX PART is created, e.g. “1st Horn”.  Just like a 16-piece band in Carnegie hall playing a concert, when the horns’ sheet music has, say 8 bars of rest, the horn players don’t get up and leave ("clear tracks 11-14), they just tap their feet to keep time and wait for their turn.
- In this example, the PATTERN mode provides the sheet music scored for each PART.  When the composer/arranger wants the horns to be silent, but stay in their chairs (tracks), their sheet music just has whatever number of bars of rest ("no phrases allocated to the SECTION C horn tracks")

Clear as mud, more than likely, but what the hey.  Cheers :)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 20, 2015 @ 10:16 AM
muscarella
Total Posts:  542
Joined  11-01-2003

Wow. Ok. Thanks. I will try it that way. Don’t use Pattern too often and don’t quite understand the architecture. Yes, I want my Horns to rest during Section C. Will report back.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ MOX8 Factory set
Next Topic:

Using MOX6 to Trigger a VST Instrument... ››