mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Possibly Taboo Subject - Apologies, if so"

Posted on: April 30, 2015 @ 05:41 PM
studebach
Total Posts:  56
Joined  10-01-2002

Greetings,

Long time viewer, first time poster...I think.

I own the original Motif-the classic and in about 6 months or so, I will be in the market for the XF8. I don’t need the super-duper lastest and greatest. I assume, some will tell me to wait for the next one.

Anyways, I have a friend who purchases a lot of Yamaha equipment non-musical instrument stuff) for business and when I have enough money, he was advised he could get a Yamaha Motif XF8 “at cost minus 10%”

Unfortunately, he doesn’t want to call and have them do the work to set the order up until I have money in hand. On the other hand, I don’t know how much money I need on hand.

I’ve done some basic figures based on 20-40% markup and came up with what would possibly amount to $2400 - 2800 for the “at cost minus 10%” price.

Does that sound about right to anyone else out there?

And what would you think I could get for a Motif 8 Classic in excellent condition? I have the Voice and Analog boards in it and the max RAM.

Thanks for any assistance and I apologize if this type of question should not go here.

-Stu

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 30, 2015 @ 07:14 PM
dsetto
Total Posts:  435
Joined  01-24-2014

I don’t know. But I’ll bump with hopes that someone who does will see.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: April 30, 2015 @ 10:00 PM
stoneb3
Total Posts:  851
Joined  06-05-2011
studebach - 30 April 2015 05:41 PM

Greetings,

I own the original Motif-the classic and in about 6 months or so, I will be in the market for the XF8. I don’t need the super-duper lastest and greatest. I assume, some will tell me to wait for the next one.

Anyways, I have a friend who purchases a lot of Yamaha equipment non-musical instrument stuff) for business and when I have enough money, he was advised he could get a Yamaha Motif XF8 “at cost minus 10%”

Unfortunately, he doesn’t want to call and have them do the work to set the order up until I have money in hand. On the other hand, I don’t know how much money I need on hand.

I’ve done some basic figures based on 20-40% markup and came up with what would possibly amount to $2400 - 2800 for the “at cost minus 10%” price.

And what would you think I could get for a Motif 8 Classic in excellent condition? I have the Voice and Analog boards in it and the max RAM.

Thanks for any assistance and I apologize if this type of question should not go here.

-Stu

Hi Stu,
I’l share my thoughts, but could be off by a bit here or there. You’re likely on target with the new unit. As I understand the deal, you should be near $2600.00 plus the matter of tax, if applicable.
The Classic may be a tough sell, I don’t see them moving much anymore, and the money they bring is small. The accessory boards remain in demand and while I’ve seen them listed for around $300.00 each, I’ve had opportunities to purchase them for $150.00 each. I would expect to see $1,000.00 for the Classic, with the boards. $1,200.00 tops, on a good day.
You’re probably correct in your assumption that someone will suggest you hold out for the next one. But then again, that wasn’t the question. Also, I see no problem with this posted here. Good luck with your situation.

Stone

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 01, 2015 @ 10:41 AM
DavePolich
Total Posts:  6820
Joined  07-27-2002

He obviously meant “cost PLUS 10%”. No one can get something at “cost MINUS 10%”.

Cost + 10% is a typical discount for employees of a music store. Or artists who negotiate directly with the company for an “artist discount”. But let’s get another thing straight...it isn’t
even"cost". The term “cost” is what it actually costs the manufacturer to MAKE the product.
Here, “cost” means what the store pays to buy the product for later resale. That is the “wholesale” cost, not the manufacturer cost.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 01, 2015 @ 05:30 PM
stoneb3
Joined  06-05-2011
DavePolich - 01 May 2015 10:41 AM

He obviously meant “cost PLUS 10%”. No one can get something at “cost MINUS 10%”.

Cost + 10% is a typical discount for employees of a music store. Or artists who negotiate directly with the company for an “artist discount”. But let’s get another thing straight...it isn’t
even"cost". The term “cost” is what it actually costs the manufacturer to MAKE the product.
Here, “cost” means what the store pays to buy the product for later resale. That is the “wholesale” cost, not the manufacturer cost.

Depends on which definition of cost you use. I gather the latter as there was no suggestion of artist representation. It’s not uncommon to further discount a service or product when cutting deals. Perhaps the seller owes the buyer. Who knows? The best I could do was go with the information provided, which I did. This was also noted in my post.

Stone

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 01, 2015 @ 11:08 PM
studebach
Joined  10-01-2002
stoneb3 - 30 April 2015 10:00 PM
studebach - 30 April 2015 05:41 PM

Greetings,

-Stu

Hi Stu,
I’l share my thoughts, but could be off by a bit here or there. You’re likely on target with the new unit. As I understand the deal, you should be near $2600.00 plus the matter of tax, if applicable.
The Classic may be a tough sell, I don’t see them moving much anymore, and the money they bring is small. The accessory boards remain in demand and while I’ve seen them listed for around $300.00 each, I’ve had opportunities to purchase them for $150.00 each. I would expect to see $1,000.00 for the Classic, with the boards. $1,200.00 tops, on a good day.
You’re probably correct in your assumption that someone will suggest you hold out for the next one. But then again, that wasn’t the question. Also, I see no problem with this posted here. Good luck with your situation.

Stone

Thanks for your reply Stone. I was guessing about that much for selling my classic. I wasn’t expecting anything above $1000 for the Classic. I guess I probably oughtta see if I can piecemeal the boards.
As for the deal I was offered, those were the words of the Yamaha account rep my friend deals with. My friend said it is a one-time deal based on the amount of business he does with Yamaha. I wasn’t on the phone, so I can only repeat what I was told. So, as far as what the other guy said what was offered, it doesn’t matter. I was just trying to get a ballpark figure.

Thanks, Stone, for your helpful input.

Colin

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: May 02, 2015 @ 10:39 PM
stoneb3
Joined  06-05-2011

You’re welcome Colin.
I hope things go well for you and you’ll be enjoying your new instrument soon.

Stone

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 29, 2016 @ 07:20 PM
studebach
Joined  10-01-2002
DavePolich - 01 May 2015 10:41 AM

Just as a note of clarification on this, I ended up getting the board for about $2280 back in February and that’s including the Fully Loaded Anniversary deal. I don’t know if that was MINUS 10% or PLUS 10%. I just know I was shocked and now am so happy to have a new toy to play with.

Thanks all who replied. It helped me get a decent idea of how much I needed to save.

Now I just need to be glued to these forums for a while, while I learn all the ins and outs of the board.

Thanks!

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ New here
Next Topic:

B B King RIP ››